Fall Further on Hiatus

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if some races were single player only or had a tic to remove them from multiplayer if they are deemed OOSers. They may be fine single player. Why delete them if you can make them selective. I like more content not less. I think the Mod is fine ... great job.

If we don't like a race we don't play it. A simple choice. It is a bit harder to eliminat a race from random multiplayer AI selections. We have gone to numbering the races and rolling a set of die.

My friend made tags and dropped them in a hat, that worked as well.

The only ones we have eliminated from multiplayer are the scions, kurios, and Jontar, since we believe they contribute to OOS. For no other reason. They are fine single player I wouldn't eliminat them. IF I am wrong about them with the OOS's we would reinstate them to multiplayer AI.

Why delete them if you can make them selective. I like more content not less. I think the Mod is fine ... great job.

It's not really a case of deleting things. We're actually starting from scratch based on the final version of FfH2. When I first started work on the mod it was during the Fire phase and I believe the first release came shortly after Shadow began. Since then there have been so many changes that (although mostly incorporated) some things are out of synch that probably shouldn't be.

Additionally we know a few more things than we did back then and have a few more ideas about how to make life easier that essentially requires a ground-up approach. The current version of FF will remain available throughout the rebuild (possibly with a few fixes as required) - but "The next big thing" is going to be the rebuilt version. Of course - the discussion about what to rebuild first did lead to at least 2 other core mechanics being designed, so nothing really changes :D

I don't know whether you would be interested, but I may have access to a C++ code reviewer program which does miracles in bugg solving. I would require a lot of effort, but I could try to run it on FF code to see what it gives, if you would be interested (and ready to use the result) :) (but as it would ask for a lot of time, I won't do it just for fun).

Unfortunately it is a hard decision to make. There are lots of results it could give which point to base code issues that may not be something we are willing to attempt changing (as it APPEARS to be bad, but due to interaction with the EXE is actually optimal or something strange like that), but it could also wind up finding the source of a few "mystery bugs" for us. Overall, my faith in such an analysis being useful is minimal due to the multi-language structure we deal with (python/XML/DLL/EXE) and thus the numerous potential sources of bugs.

Sure, in that case I'll keep focusing on Tears. :)

It's not really a case of deleting things. We're actually starting from scratch based on the final version of FfH2. When I first started work on the mod it was during the Fire phase and I believe the first release came shortly after Shadow began. Since then there have been so many changes that (although mostly incorporated) some things are out of synch that probably shouldn't be.

Additionally we know a few more things than we did back then and have a few more ideas about how to make life easier that essentially requires a ground-up approach. The current version of FF will remain available throughout the rebuild (possibly with a few fixes as required) - but "The next big thing" is going to be the rebuilt version. Of course - the discussion about what to rebuild first did lead to at least 2 other core mechanics being designed, so nothing really changes :D

Ohh, a ground up build. So much more work, but so much more fun!

Oh, that sounds like a lot of work guys:eek:.

Well we appreciate it. This is the only game I play on a regular basis. It's lasted such a long time compared to all the other crap I have bought. That says a lot about your work and the FFH team of course.

Thank you.

Not wanting to be disagreable, but "hiatus or not hiatus" ?
The forum seems to have been kind of dead since FF+ left towards RifE...

Any plan to make us come back ? I thought they were plans to clean things up.

hiatus

We're doing a lot of internal discussion and designing just now. It will be a (probably long) while before we're ready for another release.

OK, thanks, at least we know you are still working there :)

Working on quite a bit, hence unwilling to discuss it publicly as we aren't yet sure which of all the good ideas will be maintained, and don't want people to focus on what we DIDN'T do when we finally do release (We don't have anyone on the team aspiring to be the next Peter Molyneux)

Waiting, waiting :)
Just to know we still expect things from you, and everyone I think has been so afraid not so long ago...

Haven't had a chance to play or stopped by since the academic semester started - but occasionally I've thought of FF, and all the fun I'll have playing it in the magical future when I won't be so busy...

Its really nice to see you guys are planning a fresh build, and still working on improving FF. Its a really great product you guys have made/are making, and something to look forward to.

If there was one feedback concern I would voice for the fresh build (assuming this hasn't been changed since the summer) - please do look at making the lizardmen need to defend their territory in the field, preferably by attacking into jungle, or even defending in jungle (though enemies just seem to go around fortified units). It always seemed odd that their best odds were fortified up in their cities, just like every other race - when the lore description specifically indicates that there military advantage should lie in waging war in the jungle (provided the story regarding their leader abandoning the city is still the same - I've been gone awhile).

And now back to prepping for my Chinese final on the 18th...

Just noticed this thread, thnx for the notice of hiatus. (FfH is lacking one, unless I'm missing something)

I'll be right here ready to be amazed at all the shiny lights and colored things.

Btw, have you seen Tholish's Future mod? That guy is a freakin' genius!

Asthix,

Didn't FfH declare that it was finished? In that case declaring a 'hiatus' would be a bit odd.

Asthix,

Didn't FfH declare that it was finished? In that case declaring a 'hiatus' would be a bit odd.

err... FfH has been in Bug Fixing mod for MONTHS and art work adding

FFH has been officially feature locked for a long time, which mostly meant only bugfixing and art additions. The incorporation of the AI stuff was a bit odd.

Glad to hear that the best FFH modmod is getting a rebuild.
I'm really looking forward to it and am veeeeery curious what novelties will be in when it's done.
But don't let anyone stress you - take your time. Its much better to have the new FF later with few bugs than sooner with many.

Thank you guys a LOT for all your effort in this one.

Top Bottom