Civ 5 digital deluxe coming exclusively to Steam! Steamworks confirmed!

No. F*ck no. I do not want that :):):):) piece of :):):):) in my computer. I had enough trouble with Empire, and now CIV? This may be putting me off buying it, due to a waste of money on a game that gives you automatic updates that I don't necessarily want.

To add to the hardware requirements, the 512 is listed as the minimum amount of memory your computer needs to have, not what steam itself will consume. Think of it as saying "For Windows and Steam to run, you need to have at least 512mb of memory installed in your pc." The program itself has a fairly small memory footprint when running.

As for hard drive space, I have no idea what its minimum really is. Most of the time the numbers quoted are what the program requires during installation, to unpack itself, installed and cleanup without running out of space. Once that is done its total taken size may well be smaller then 1 gig. Like I said though, I have no idea, my steam folder is just over 80gig now days. :D

Yeah, to get an idea of how big the steam platform was I just did a check of the folder size without the steamapps folder selected.

Not the most accurate thing in the world but hey! My entire steam folder is 207GB - epeen-tastic.

resources I could use elsewhere. I generally shut down all unnessesary applications, including firewall/virus protections (so no internet while playing, I don't need it then anyway) when playing games that require lot of resources to squeese every bit of performance I can get.

Steam does not provide any feature for single player offline gamer so why would I ever want it in my computer in the first place. I never play multiplayer, haven't been playing for years (funny thing is, I think the last serious multiplayer sessions were on Half-Life/CounterStike. Another funny fact: Half-Life anthology was last game I ever bought from Valve).

DRM by it's very nature is intrusive, it very purpose is to restrict how I use the games I buy. Thankfully I can usually crack the games with all the problems it entails, but meh, as long as I can play the game the way I want I'm happy (And before you call me pirate, I own ~200 retail games and around 50 games from DD services, mostly from GOG. It's up to me what I do with them as long as I don't distribute copies of them.).

Fortunately thanks to GOG.com, where I buy most of my games these days, I don't have to do that much anymore. Gamersgate is another DD service I use but mostly to buy Paradox's own games. Thankfully there is pretty widely known workaround allowing users to make fully functional non internet requiring backups of their games but unfortunatlely as far as I've heard it does not work on all 3rd party games there.

You do know that it gathers your system infomation = spyware. I do not know if you can opt out of it (if you can, it should be off by default) but it should not need to gather any data, period. If someone needs information of my system (or anything else for that matter), it's my choise wether or not I provide them. Only police has right to monitor my activities without my knowledge and even they need to suspect me of serious crime and get court permission in order to do it.

And you are the only one entiled to have opinion? Bear in mind that I and most others pissed by Firaxis decision to use steamworks would not mind if installing it was optional or we if could buy the game from retail or DD service of our choise without having to install Steam. One vendor/system/DD service exlusive games should not exist in this day and age anyway.

But anyway, I'll vote with my wallet and skip it. It's a shame as I've bought, played and loved all Civ games and most of spin-offs since Civ 1 came out (Civ I - IV with all expansions (even the test of time thingie), Colonization, Civ IV:Col, Alpha Centauri (no expansion unfortunately), CTP 1&2, MoO 1-3, Galciv 1-2 with all expansions and Master of Magic.)

:lol: I laugh at people like this who know absolutely nothing about Steam. You'd think they'd take 5 minutes to look up actually what Steam does. ;)

Steam is currently running on my system and is using 16mb of ram.
The steam platform uses up ~200mb hard disk space on my system.

Why don't you just download steam to check it out? It's not like it costs money.
The amount of space to store sotware is different than the amount of space required to use it. Programs often need extra space to work with. Steam says they need a full gig. Who would you take counsel from? Some random dude on the internetz, or from an official company statement?

Erm, I've never had Steam crash on me, I've been using it for 5 years and I've opted into their beta testing system.
And I've drank cows milk for 40 years and have never suffered lactose intolerance. Yet other folks do. Different systems, different results.

Again, feel free to download it instead of just making things up as you go along. It probably took you longer to make this post than it would take you to download it and just try it for yourself.
I'm not downloading something I don't need. I've enough stuff on this machine as is. Thats part of my point.

You have no idea how Steam works. It does not limit installs, it allows you to instantly redownload the game as many times as you like on as many machines as you like. It has the facility to burn the game to a DVD or another drive as a backup.
I've read elsewhere that you can't legally write to disk. If making a hard copy is allowed, then all's good with that. Still requires the internet for the initial acquisition. But if Firaxis releases a hard copy sale, AND I don't have to use the net to "unlock" the game, then I'm good with that part of the decision.

Tin foil hat time here. Not sure what you expect anyone to say about that other than welcome to the internet.
Tin foil hat my arse! Do you read the news? Privacy and security concerns are well founded. A recent facebook screw up which made private info public, makes for a timely example. This is nothing new. Now picture a screw-up like that, or a security compromise, of a service which has direct access to your machine. Something to be mindful of. I take my chances where I choose. But for me, I don't see the value in having Steam in my machine. I just wanted to play the new Civ.

On a side note... Steam does interest me. On a societal level I am happy to see services like this... less junk in landfills, less trucks on the roads, and on and on. Is a good thing but carries its own costs. And cloud computing intrigues me. But before I fully embrace it, I want to see better sandboxing between my PC and the cloud. And I want reliance that what I purchase stays purchased, and that I am free to use it as I will.

:lol: I laugh at people like this who know absolutely nothing about Steam. You'd think they'd take 5 minutes to look up actually what Steam does. ;)

:p no worries. I do excactly same when steam fanboys do the same with other DD services. For some reason they don't take the 5 minutes to look at the other DD servises either :D So while we're having fun with each others expense, you could tell me how to use steam without installing steam client so I could test it :p:crazyeye: If you can tell me that I promise I'll try Steam. Agreed? :goodjob:

The amount of space to store sotware is different than the amount of space required to use it. Programs often need extra space to work with. Steam says they need a full gig. Who would you take counsel from? Some random dude on the internetz, or from an official company statement?

I think you should download it and see for yourself. It's free. It's tiny. What are you waiting for? You apparently don't understand how system specifications work so you're unable to interpret the "official company statement" that you've found.

Just download it, install it and go "oh, so it doesn't use up any significant resource at all" so we don't need to discuss this any more.

And I've drank cows milk for 40 years and have never suffered lactose intolerance. Yet other folks do. Different systems, different results.

Your argument is "software crashes therefore all software is bad". The argument is stupid. What more do you want? Yes, it could potentially crash. It almost certainly won't. If you don't buy the game because of this then there is something wrong with you.

I'm not downloading something I don't need. I've enough stuff on this machine as is. Thats part of my point.

You don't have to keep it installed. The installer is 1.5MB. Do you have an extremely low bandwidth limit or something? Is the uninstall button for applications too confusing for you?

You're ignorant of the facts and you outright refuse to enlighten yourself.

Why are you trying to talk to anyone about this? Surely talking to people about Steam is going to risk some information leaking into your mind too, and we wouldn't want that.

I've read elsewhere that you can't legally write to disk. If making a hard copy is allowed, then all's good with that. Still requires the internet for the initial acquisition. But if Firaxis releases a hard copy sale, AND I don't have to use the net to "unlock" the game, then I'm good with that part of the decision.

You've read here that you can legally write the games to disk. And now you've seen it with your own eyes.

Tin foil hat my arse! Do you read the news? Privacy and security concerns are well founded. A recent facebook screw up which made private info public, makes for a timely example. This is nothing new. Now picture a screw-up like that, or a security compromise, of a service which has direct access to your machine. Something to be mindful of. I take my chances where I choose. But for me, I don't see the value in having Steam in my machine. I just wanted to play the new Civ.

Yes! Congratulations! Putting information on the internet puts it at the extremely low risk of having that information compromised!

Fortunately, you're smart enough to never have signed up for an email address or a forum account, so you're never going to get any information compromised. Are you?

That's why we're not having this conversation right now, because you don't have a forum account because making accounts online is always a bad thing.

Your steam account does not need to contain any important personal information. There is absolutely no reason why you should object to making a steam account than any other internet account.

So you're either going to quit the internet entirely, or you're going to have to suck it up, buddy!

EVIDENCE OF STEAM:

the program..............the user.....CPU.....RAM

STEAM:
the program.................the user (me)...............CPU....RAM

That's quite lot for useless background app. Only program on my system that consumes more is my internet security suite with ~37k, next comes scvhost at ~29k, then csrss at ~27k, then couple printer related apps at 15 - 20k each, the rest is under 10k. Let me show how much GOG.com and GamersGate clients use... wait, neither has one! :D :sarcasm: :p

That's quite lot for useless background app. Only program on my system that consumes more is my internet security suite with ~37k, next comes scvhost at ~29k, then csrss at ~27k, then couple printer related apps at 15 - 20k each, the rest is under 10k. Let me show how much GOG.com and GamersGate clients use... wait, neither has one! :D :sarcasm: :p

It's not a background app.

It's a free download, it really would make life a lot easier if you just went and downloaded it, found out all this stuff for yourself and stopped making us correct you.

It uses... 32,000 RAM

My 2005 system has... 4,000,000,000 RAM

WHAT A SYSTEM HOG OMG!!! It uses a whole 1/125000th of my RAM! Freaking system hog, god, NO WAY AM I GOING TO DOWNLOAD THIS

It uses... 32,000 RAM

WHAT A SYSTEM HOG OMG!!!

Is it minimised to the tray when you check?

On my system it's consistently using 16-13mb when minimised. This is with the new interface (the one with the webkit browser rather than the IE based one).

Please, no flame wars on steam. If you feel that badly about it, go to the Steam forums and talk about it there with Steam users (who will probably either flame you, laugh at you, or tell you go to buy retail). That being said, clearly the exclusives for Steam Digital Download are for release day. Its obvious that the extra civilization or whatever benefits that matter will make its way to the CiV series in expansions later with many more benefits if anything. Oh snap, I don't have any evidence to back that up.

Now here's my question, will they still include a fold-out tech tree and manual in the retail version? Will the retail version come in a box or will it come in a DVD case? I find DVD cases = minimal manual and some advertisements these days.

On the chance nobody knows (yet) or won't know until it goes gold, I'll have the people at the store open the package for me so I can take a look before buying. Though honestly, with CiVpedia and all the info in the help files IN the game, a manual/tech tree is kind of unnecessary. I know people out there really like to "own" the physical copies and things that come with buying a retail game. Its great, but that's not where games are headed these days (but it's also sad that manuals are really being neglected for blockbuster games).

It uses... 32,000 RAM

WHAT A SYSTEM HOG OMG!!! It uses a whole 1/125000th of my RAM! Freaking system hog, god, NO WAY AM I GOING TO DOWNLOAD THIS

You misread the picture.

It's using 32,372K of RAM.

That's 33,148,928 of RAM. (Remember that each K of ram isn't 1000, it's 1024)

That's about 32 meg.

Your system has 4G, which is 4000K of RAM. That's 1/125th of your total, or just short of 1%. And that's for a background system. On my system currently, Windows (XP Pro) is only using 95056K, or just short of 95M. That means that Steam is using about 1/3 the resources of Windows.

Hey,

Just a little question. I don't know what this steam really is and implies. But from reading the posts I have now some kind of an idea about it. Will it be possible to install/play the game on a computer which has no internet connection ?

And also, I find this deluxe version very very stupid.

Thanks for the help

Hey,

Just a little question. I don't know what this steam really is and implies. But from reading the posts I have now some kind of an idea about it. Will it be possible to install/play the game on a computer which has no internet connection ?

Thanks for the help

Yes, that will be fine. Steam will allow you play any game while offline - the only restriction is that you will need an internet connection when you first install the game so that it can be validated or downloaded (depending on whether or not you buy a physical copy or download it)

For more information about Steam, you can check out their homepage: http://www.steampowered.com/

They're currently selling Civilization IV Complete Edition for 75% off :D

Hey,

Thanks for the help
I'm sorry, Chalks, but you've answered the question incorrectly.

timmey, you will NOT be able to install and play Civilization 5 on a system without an internet connection. While it is true that the game only needs to authenticate itself with the Steam servers once -- at which point you can put Steam into offline mode and run the game whenever you like -- it MUST connect to the servers on installation or it will not work.

It is for this reason that I will not be buying the game. I still play games I've had for more than 10 years. If those games had to phone home according to this DRM scheme, I wouldn't be able to anymore. I like buying games, and I like buying them from Firaxis. But this kind of DRM is just not okay with me. I'd just as soon buy a couple of books, or a game that I'm perhaps less excited about which does not treat me like a suspected pirate.

(Steam as an option -- is not a problem for me. For isntance, if it were for sale on Steam with Steam's DRM, and also in the store with a simple DVD check, I'd buy it on day 1. The problem is that the game I would buy would not install and run out of the box without first "proving" to some distant server that I bought it. Trust me, or do without my custom.)

It's a free download, it really would make life a lot easier if you just went and downloaded it...

I already promissed to try steam if someone provided me a way described in post 46. :D

Spoiler :
And it's as pointless to try to convince me to use steam client as it's for me to try to convince you to stop using it. I will never ever install it in any of my computers, period. So can we agree to disagree? Here, have some popcorn :popcorn::D

:p no worries. I do excactly same when steam fanboys do the same with other DD services. For some reason they don't take the 5 minutes to look at the other DD servises either :D So while we're having fun with each others expense, you could tell me how to use steam without installing steam client so I could test it :p:crazyeye: If you can tell me that I promise I'll try Steam. Agreed? :goodjob:

Stardock is twice as intrusive as Steam. It also barely has any games.
Impulse is owned by people with corporate interests, takes 6x the memory of Steam and operates slowly.
Direct2Drive only keeps your games downloadable for a year.
GOG only sells stuff from when I was a kid and I'm 24 years old.

How are ANY of these better than Steam?

Trust me, or do without my custom.

I think so too. People seem ignorant of what's at stake.

Like the post right above yours. It looks like a great ad, doesn't it?
Not discussion of a serious issue.

Judging by the praise of Steam, THIS seems to be the way we are going.

Top Bottom