Info on Next Patch

Because a worker is much more expensive than a fishing boat. And for a reason.

In addition not each single worker is able to swim, that would be an unacceptable risk.

I do not express my opinion on workboats because even if they are naval units their role is limited to few tiles only and then they become pillageable stuff only.

There's no reason the "fishing boat" has to vanish once it has built the tile improvement ;-) That's why I am saying it. The fishing boat is a unit that has very little range of operations. As a naval recon unit, well there's a use, but it certainly wasn't intented that way.

There's no reason the "fishing boat" has to vanish once it has built the tile improvement ;-) That's why I am saying it. The fishing boat is a unit that has very little range of operations. As a naval recon unit, well there's a use, but it certainly wasn't intented that way.

worker boats should not be able to leave own territory...

worker boats should not be able to leave own territory...

Are you saying that the rules imply they shouldn't or that you don't think that they should be able to? Because I use my coastal cities to supply fishing boats to non-coastal cities that can work water tiles that have fish/whales/pearls, which can sometimes include some logging some significant sea travel.

Are you saying that the rules imply they shouldn't or that you don't think that they should be able to? Because I use my coastal cities to supply fishing boats to non-coastal cities that can work water tiles that have fish/whales/pearls, which can sometimes include some logging some significant sea travel.

Hm, aham :)

Yeah, I say that a work boat should be so that it can move only in owned area.

And besides, I find it not realistic and game-wise correct that a city could gather sea food
without access to the sea water itself (being NOT on coast)...

Hm, aham :)

Yeah, I say that a work boat should be so that it can move only in owned area.

And besides, I find it not realistic and game-wise correct that a city could gather sea food
without access to the sea water itself (being NOT on coast)...

Why not? People only live and work in your city? They can't travel to get to their jobs, just like they do for that farm 3 tiles away? Setting up that work boat for another city that you own makes way more sense to me than not being able to access it at all. You're a civilization that works together after all, and the work boat upgrade provides all of the necessary "means" to work the resource, including a means for your people to get to the tile. To me, it's way more realistic.

It takes a work boat exactly the same amount of time to set up some fish nets in 500BC as it does an offshore oil rig in 1900AD, anybody notice that? :D

It takes a work boat exactly the same amount of time to set up some fish nets in 500BC as it does an offshore oil rig in 1900AD, anybody notice that? :D

One turn = around 25 years in 500BC and around 1 year in 1900AD. The timeline doesn't scale linearly with the turn count. I like that.

Why not? People only live and work in your city? They can't travel to get to their jobs, just like they do for that farm 3 tiles away? Setting up that work boat for another city that you own makes way more sense to me than not being able to access it at all. You're a civilization that works together after all, and the work boat upgrade provides all of the necessary "means" to work the resource, including a means for your people to get to the tile. To me, it's way more realistic.

It is a gameplay question:
Say, you let the boat to travel along the shore to get your other city.
Fine.
On its way it might pass along tiles not yours.
Not so fine, as by this it can do exploration a long way and far away,
which I believe is not what a fishing boat should do.
In my mind, a boat is not to make big distances...

So you have sacrifice the case that you can send boat through not owned tiles
to make work tile for another city of yours...
But you can make your way around:
build the destination city close to the sending city and buy tiles to make way...

Can you make the viewing distance of the fishing boat 1 or 0 so it cannot be used for scouting?

Fishing boats exploring is a much lesser crime than what you'd get by preventing the ability to build fishing boats in one city to get improvements in another.

I don't see any crime in using fishing boats to scout. It's not like its an exploit....they're defenseless units -- you risk losing them to any barbarian archer or boat....Besides, a great deal of exploration by humans has been accomplished in boats less sea-worthy than a good fishing boat....canoes for example.....

Hell, I scout with just about anything that I'm not using and I don't mind losing.....have too many workers just standing around doing nothing? Just embark them off to go do some scouting -- if they die, no great loss because I was considering deleting them anyways -- if they survive, cool, maybe they'll come in handy later!

It is a gameplay question:
Say, you let the boat to travel along the shore to get your other city.
Fine.
On its way it might pass along tiles not yours.
Not so fine, as by this it can do exploration a long way and far away,
which I believe is not what a fishing boat should do.
In my mind, a boat is not to make big distances...

So you have sacrifice the case that you can send boat through not owned tiles
to make work tile for another city of yours...
But you can make your way around:
build the destination city close to the sending city and buy tiles to make way...
That's not a gameplay question. It's just another example of people trying to stretch the game too far to satisfy their subjective notions of realism.

Civ is NOT a simulation of real life; it is first and foremost a strategy game. The game designers have more pressing problems to deal with than trying to make fishing boats more realistic. :rolleyes:

That's not a gameplay question. It's just another example of people trying to stretch the game too far to satisfy their subjective notions of realism.

Civ is NOT a simulation of real life; it is first and foremost a strategy game. The game designers have more pressing problems to deal with than trying to make fishing boats more realistic. :rolleyes:

OK, I admit that this is subjective.
Perhaps just making the unit slow, having 1 HP, and 1 tile visibility range is OK :)

To veer away from the pressing issue of fishing-boat realism... ;)

I like that now when a civ asks a player to go to war, the player can request 10 turns to prepare. However, I wish that the player could decline war, but offer help in other ways. A player should be able to offer units, gold, or open borders to help with the other civ's war efforts.

For example:

Assume that Washington pops up and asks whether you'll go to war.

You can respond in 1 of 5 ways, 1) Yes, 2) No, how could you? 3) Not interested, 4) Give me 10 turns to prepare, or 5) No, but how might I help in your war efforts?

Assume you select option 5: No, but how can I help?

Washington could answer in one or more of the following ways: 1) Never mind, I'm mad at you, 2) Thanks for offering, but you can't help me, 3) Give me X gold, 4) Give me X gold per turn, 5) Provide me X number of units within 10 turns, 6) Guarantee my troops safe passage for the duration of my war against X, 7) Close your borders with X for the duration of my war against X

I really hoped that C5 would take diplomacy to the next level....I want the experience of BARGAINING with other civs.....I think this additional diplomatic option would be great....what'cha think?

I really hoped that C5 would take diplomacy to the next level....I want the experience of BARGAINING with other civs.....I think this additional diplomatic option would be great....what'cha think?
Also, the ability to call upon past favours would be nice. After all, the whole point about diplomacy is "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours". If I've helped out a civ in the past, I would like there to be a dialogue option which I can use to say, "We have given you X in the past, so perhaps you can help us out now?"

Likewise, being able to refer to past transgressions would be fun too. For example, a player should be able to say, "You attacked us in the past when we were unprepared. Now it is time for revenge!" Or "I am declaring war on you because you had the audacity to attack a city state that I told you I was protecting." The AI should also say things like that when they declare war on the player, instead of unhelpful, generic stuff like "All your lands will be mine".

I may be a day late and a dollar short because I didn't read all 9 pages of this thread. I stopped around the time people began to argue about DNA.

but anyway...

Hopefully it's more then a patch, hopefully it's a complete overhaul.

Bring back diplomacy modifiers and the ability to have friends!

I don't think they'll go that far. Maybe for VI. But for now, I think they have to stand behind the game they made, and "AI plays like a human trying to win" is the game they made. Even if they're seeing the shortcomings of it and don't want to keep the series on this path, this is what V is and I don't see them doing more than trying to make it as good as it can be for what it is.

But that being said, the fact that they are working on making it better for what it is is great news, and this very well may be the patch that convinces me that it's ok to buy the game (although, now that I've waited this long I may as well hold out for a xmas sale at least).

What I would like to see is if they will add an option to trade map tiles. Sometimes I just want to demand that oil or iron resource square, and perhaps the AI might be in a mood to sell it (thinking historically as a US citizen, Louisianna purchase or Alaska). Or, maybe I can request certain land tiles as part of a peace agreement. It would be slick if the AI would do the same too.

Top Bottom