New civ linked to new resource

^^^Kongo is not Belgian Congo, even geographically they're mostly different. Kongo isn't really associated with Rubber, but who knows, it could be a mash-up

The best indicator of what is to come is what has happened in the past. Here are the animals that are currently in Civ V:
Game animals: Foxes, Deer, Elephant... all found on multiple continents
Domesticated animals: Cows, Horses, Sheep, Pigs... all found on multiple continents
Aquatic animals: Fish, Whales, Crabs, Clams... found in all oceans

With that.. ANY other resource in Civ V is found on multiple continents.

Unless they do something COMPLETELY new, I'd say the best bet for a new animal would be chickens, ducks, rabbits or camels.

Can you name me an animal that would "give away" any one civilization (and not another)?

We've never had a resource associated with a single civilization either, but that's what has been pointed at here. The fact of it being an animal or otherwise is largely irrelevant, but people have named giveaway animals in a bunch of posts, namely the Bison and Seals. We have no reason to believe that we'll get anything like the animals you named, the only resource that he mentioned was the one that would be a too obvious hint to name.

*leans forward very seriously and crosses arms*
What I am about to say might make some people angry. I think you can take it though.

Maple Tree's for Canada.

*sits back in seat properly*

I think it will be coffee; it's not necessarily a resource which is dominated by one civilization, and can grow in a multitude of different areas. So it would still make sense for Washington to have coffee, or France, or whom ever, as coffee is surprisingly an easy enough crop to grow; and it varies wildly depending on where it's growing. The only question; which area is best linked with coffee; South America or Africa? From personal experience, I'd say African or arabicca coffee is more prominent and well known.

Another alternative - Tea, or tea leaves. This is another thing which can grow in a multitude of different areas, but is still maybe better known to come from Asia. Obviously when thinking of Tea many people think of say India, China, or Japan, but Vietnam is also a cultivator of Tea. Their tea isn't that well known outside of mainland Asia, but they are a large producer of it. I believe they were also the first ones to create tea houses, which were later adopted by China (I may be wrong on this, correct me if so!).

Lastly, and this is just really, really out there - Opium. Opium is grown and cultivated in the northern part of Africa, and Asia. There are three countries whom I can immediately think of as cultivators of Opium -

Vietnam
Thailand
Afghanistan.

We already have Thailand, and I don't think Afghanistan would become part of Civ (but who knows). Vietnam how ever, could possibly join the ranks. Since Brave New World seems to be taking place around the 1800s or so; around the time that the French began their "colonization" of Vietnam it would make sense. The French were known to take Opium from Vietnam and bring it back to France.

could someone clarify something for me? did he say that a new civ "was tied to the resource" or that the new resource was "exclusive" to the new civ? those carry different meanings in my head. for example say its buffalo and the souix were "tied" to them. that doesnt necessarily mean only they get buffalo. the iroquis and celts are "tied" to forrest tiles, but everyone gets forrest. it could just mean that buffalo spawn at tech "x" and, while everyone gets access to them, the souix either have a UA or UI directly tied to the Buffalo. On the other hand if its a civ exclusive resource, i have to echo some of the other posters in that in terms of game mechanics it almost has to be something tied to a building and not the map directly, which would seem to eliminate the buffalo idea.

If Bison is discovered America and Russia should be able to completely depleat those recources :)

What about czech beer, more famous then sirups and other boring stuff :D

Many countries have "beer", few countries have beer.

Tottaly agree :D , thats why i sad czechs have chance there,they are best, and am not czech...

Many countries have the same thing, but some are simply more famous at producing/exploiting it...even georgians have bisons :p

If it is bison maybe the cattle tile can be turned into hunting ground and provide a unique bison luxury.
Cattle is ubiquitous enough for this bonus to not be too start dependent (maybe a grassland start? I don't know if that would fit the Sioux otherwise).

I do feel weird about big cows being closer to gems and dye than regular cows or deer, but I'll guess we'll see..

The Czechs aren't really famous for their beer, at least not as much as Germany, who's already in the game.

Beer is to the Czech Republic what Black Chocolate is to Belgium and Milk Chocolate to Switzerland, Fish'n'Chips to England and Pizza to the Italians. Sure, you get those things in other places as well, but it's just not the same. Germany is famous for some types of Beer, mainly the Weizenbier. The Reinheitsgebot is overstated imho. Of course, you also have famous Belgian beers as well. Come to think of it, an eventual UA of Belgium would have to have some connection to cuisine (they invented Fries as well... ;)).

But I do agree, ressources as those (Beer, Coffe, Tea) are too general to count for as a specific civ. (though I'd connect Tea first to Ceylon/Sri Lanka as a specific civ, not Vietnam for sure). I can rather sea Seals (so Inuit can make use of the Icy areas, also there's a certain need for some coastal luxuries/ressources so it wouldn't be too strange that it would also help other civs), Bison (does have a close connection to Plain Indians and can probably work as a on-the-map special feature) or something that's not found on the map and improved by their UA, but rather a luxury given by a building/improvement. I can't see Opium though for Afghanistan...

This one is easy! Just imagine meeting the leader for the first time, sitting on his horse, having a good smoke and telling you: Welcome to Marlboro country!

:cowboy:

Sioux and Bison sounds the most likely.

I think it will be coffee; it's not necessarily a resource which is dominated by one civilization, and can grow in a multitude of different areas. So it would still make sense for Washington to have coffee, or France, or whom ever, as coffee is surprisingly an easy enough crop to grow; and it varies wildly depending on where it's growing. The only question; which area is best linked with coffee; South America or Africa? From personal experience, I'd say African or arabicca coffee is more prominent and well known.

I think it won't be coffee. The very fact that you can ask the question of which area it's linked with is a pretty good counter to the claim that he can't even tell us what the resource is because that would give away the new civ. His simply saying, "We've added coffee as a resource" would not point to any particular civ having been added. It would just mean a popular choice of new resource had been added.

Another alternative - Tea, or tea leaves. This is another thing which can grow in a multitude of different areas, but is still maybe better known to come from Asia.

Same problem. As much as I would love for it to be tea, there is no civ whose inclusion would be given away by the addition of tea. Especially because the civ where tea originated (China), the civs best known for growing tea (China, Japan, India), and the civs best known for drinking tea (Japan, England) are all already in. Whether tea is grown in Vietnam or not, if he had said, "The new resource is tea," there would be no sane way to make the leap that, "Oh! Then they must have added a Vietnamese civ!"

Top Bottom