Road connections to city states

Maybe a smarter way of dealing with it is that you only pay for maintenance costs for roads in your territory, but roads outside of it "fall into disrepair" after a while and you have to choose whether or not you want to rebuild them.

A road connection to a city state is a good investment when you need a certain city state.

I cannot say I obsess over a few GPT for it to matter. Gold is already more then plentiful--there is a reason why players say diplo is the easiest or the "sneak in a win when about to lose" victory. I build a lot of convenience roads (roads in areas for easier travel, not for city connection), amass tons of military, and I still have more gold than I need. In BNW I mainly stick to internal trade-routes since the gold from trade is overkill.

I guess my point here is I cannot simply think of something as "broken" when it is literally a handful of gpt in a game where you rake in hundreds of gold per turn. If the burst of influence isn't worth the gpt, then just don't build the road.

Then get the quest again, then build it again, then remove it again.

You pay thousands of gold to buy their influence. And we're worried about a few turns of road maintenance?

Build the road, get the Influence, and then remove the road.

And to add one further, you could figure out a way to strategically keep the parts that would help your empire, and get rid of the stuff that is of no use to you. Being able to move in and out of your territory can be handy.

Then get the quest again, then build it again, then remove it again.

You pay thousands of gold to buy their influence. And we're worried about a few turns of road maintenance?

To my knowledge, you never get a second "build a road" quest from the same city-state.

Yes, you might drop lots of gold on a CS, but why spend any gold on road segments you don't need? If you've taken Oligarchy, do you choose to leave cities un-garrisoned because "hey, it's just a few gpt, and I'm rolling in dosh"?

I got a second road quest from Bratislava.

You can tear up roads after you're done, so the total price is about 12 gold and maybe 12 worker-turns for like 30 influence. A total steal compared to 500 gold.

Yes, I do often leave cities ungarrisoned, because usually I have something better to do with the unit. Simply demanding tribute easily justifies the 1gpt maintenance.

I feel that a road to a city state should provide a gold bonus so long as you are allied to that city state. Declaration of friendship and open borders should also provide gold bonuses (as well as maintenance tax) for connecting to another civ's road network.

Top Bottom