Lyrics for Baba Yetu (For those who want to sing/read along)

QuoVadisNation said:
Does it make any difference now that you know it's a religious song? If it sounded good at first, then you like(d) it. You can deign it if you'd like, but it's still a cool song with an strong efficacy. They may have picked it for those reasons, not for its religious undertone.

Yes, it spoils most of it. It´s no longer a song, but is a prayer and my computer sings it everytime i run civilization, a game i like so much.

I would have been so apropiate to put some other lirics....

I have some problems also with medieval era being christian religious also but this is just too much.

Yes i do have a problem with christian proselitism, and yes i´m from a christian (catolic) country [spain]

In my opinion I don't see anything wrong with it:) . but imagine you in the other persons place.

For Example
Theres a song you really like (in a foriegn language) and you try to understand it and look up the lyrics:confused: . You find out its about death and distruction. Imagine how the person would react when they thought they were singing about war and plague and slaughtering... :eek:

But I don't mind the song being a prayer, im just trying to show an example what others think.

Rellik said:
How were you able to transcribe any of the words without knowing Swahilli? :eek: Words all run together for most languages, so if you don't actually know the language you can't accurately decide where to put the spaces ie (Sing a song, or singa song, or sing asong, or singasong?)

Rellik - I am certain that the music helped him do it. Coming from a music background (trained singer), the way the text is performed helps one hear where the words break. When I heard Baba Yetu myself I clearly heard the words break where he broke them. Though I do agree with other comments, he'd likely do well in studying linguistics... he seems to have a good ear for it.

BTW: MSTK... Awesome job. Thanks for doing it.

blackbanner said:
What .......... This Whole Time Ive Been Singing "our Lord Jesus" ......
Im Muslim I Cant Go Around Singing That
What Were They Thinking Puting In A Song Like That

Well... technically the Lord's Prayer isn't to Jesus, just initially taught by him as a prayer to the God in heaven (which the Jewish, Muslim and Christian faiths purportedly worship). However, it does look like Jesus was brought into this version, either because the text the composer liked had him in it... or in the way the initial missionaries taught Christianity to those that spoke Swahili (it wouldn't be the first time things were changed in translation to different cultures).

Just a thought...

EDIT : Now that I've finished the thread, I see I'm not the only one with this thought. Ah well... it's good music... and that is ultimately what is important.

Its a nice enough theme song - having worked retail over the holidays, any music that praises the Christian god isnt going to thrill me (you try 8 hours of country singers and their favorite holiday songs and see if you dont end up in a clock tower with a hunting rifle!), but since I speak about as much Swahili as I do Gaelic or Arabic, I dont see this song as much different from a song by Clanad or The Sultans.
Its not my favorite computer theme music - that goes, hands down, to Evil Genius. They've got this funky 60's style jazz akin to the stuff Henry Mancini was writing back then - you know, Peter Gun, The Pink Panther, things like that. Really puts you in the mood for world domination.

lol
This theme music wasn't supposed to be geared to world domination anyway.
Probably more... i dunno:mischief:
But we all agree. Its great music (except for 2)

I've gotta throw my hat into this MSTK. From the second I started up the game I knew I would love it because of this song. Sometimes I'll start the game up and leave it on the title screen just to hear the song while I'm making a sandwich or something. Great song, and you did a great job translating it.

indeed
Epic sounding music for what i think will be an "epic game"
Oh cmon Christmas!
:wallbash:

After listening to it about six times, I think I've spotted something incorrect in the chorus.

My ear hears the first line as "Baba yetu, yetu uliye" not "Baba yetu, yesu uliye." I could be wrong, and if I am then by all means let me know.

Also, it would be nice if somebody could come up with a phonetic guide for these lyrics, as some of the words are very long and have many more syllables than I'm used to (and I don't think I'm the only one). I'd love to learn these lyrics, but I just think it would be easier if somebody who already knows them (or most of them) could give me/us a hand.

HeroFromHyrule said:
After listening to it about six times, I think I've spotted something incorrect in the chorus.

My ear hears the first line as "Baba yetu, yetu uliye" not "Baba yetu, yesu uliye." I could be wrong, and if I am then by all means let me know.

Also, it would be nice if somebody could come up with a phonetic guide for these lyrics, as some of the words are very long and have many more syllables than I'm used to (and I don't think I'm the only one). I'd love to learn these lyrics, but I just think it would be easier if somebody who already knows them (or most of them) could give me/us a hand.

Hey hero, you are not wrong. Please look at the following for the explanation...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=3260132&postcount=43

KingCruz said:
Theres a song you really like (in a foriegn language) and you try to understand it and look up the lyrics [...] You find out its about death and distruction. Imagine how the person would react when they thought they were singing about war and plague and slaughtering [...] But I don't mind the song being a prayer [...]

Your example goes to the heart of the problem.

I mind. I don't like to be repetitively exposed to some quasi-subliminal Christian promo.

Here's a question: if you guys found out that it was a Hindu prayer to Vishnu, or a pagan prayer to some nature spirit, or some ancient Babylonian prayer to some ancient Babylonian god, would it bother you as much? I think people are particularly annoyed because it's a *Christian* prayer.

Let me also pose this question: do you dislike, say, Mozart's Requiem or Handel's Messiah because they're religious? What about Gregorian chant? Christmas carols? There's a long tradition of classical music being based on ancient texts, and many of them just happen to be religious in nature.

Just curious. I'm atheist, by the way. And from my correspondance with Christopher Tin, I think he is as well.

AutomaticBzooty said:
Here's a question: if you guys found out that it was a Hindu prayer to Vishnu, or a pagan prayer to some nature spirit, or some ancient Babylonian prayer to some ancient Babylonian god, would it bother you as much? I think people are particularly annoyed because it's a *Christian* prayer.

I agree. I was harassed by Christians since I was an innocent child, so I resent their misionary zeal.

I'll take a "Babelonian" god anytime.

my first post and because i love this song too much, i created an easier way to sing this song :p

you just sing as you read it....of course the meaning goes to hell, but you sound perfectly spot on with the words.

Baba yattu yattulia, bengune yattu yattu i mean a baabaa yattu yattu lie, kunjeena la koala tu kusmae (repeat it by 2x)

To baala-shkata-la-chetu, tu na jolly ta j utu sa mae hae , maakosaa yatu hay!

amatasa to na go same habale, tubsaya, sutute, kateke majale blackene, utoko a , nayayul a , meel a la na, meel ay lay.

note: the A in any given word, is spelled AAA ...not normal english A,
but an italian/spanish open A......as if you say the word FATHER, you have to use always the sound of FA in Father, rather than the A used in ANGRY.

if you're italian, spanish, portuguese, german.....simply spell it as your read it, don't convert anything.

for USA / CANADIAN / ENGLAND....use the way i noted earlier. ;)

i can sing this song so easily now, it's fantastic. enjoy!

I'm Catholic (almost the same...) and I still don't think this music is bad

I don't really know exactly how to express my thoughts on the matter.

I feel that I should comment, though, because I see the depths of a gigantic problem here.

First and foremost, I would like to point out that from a purely analytical musical perspective, this is a great piece of work. It has rhythm, depth, feeling, and more.

Of course, one can not analyze it purely from a musical perspective, correct? They have to think of how it ties in with the game, what social impacts it could have, and more. I'll address these one by one.

With the matter on how it ties in with the game, I think it is fitting. It is the Lord's Prayer, and with the first Civ game with religion in it, as someone else remarked, I think that this isn't necessarily bad. I understand fully that it falls under the JCM God, yet I do not mind at all, and for the record, I am an atheist. I feel that there is a valid point brought up that many people react negatively because this concerns Christianity, but at the same time, I believe that there needs to be a look towards the greater picture.

This isn't an attempt to make people believe in Jesus...it's not music that was created for evangelical purposes. It was created as a fitting piece to begin a game that concerns human civilizations, and one can not doubt that religion is part of civilization; indeed, it is an integral part. I believe that people that have negative attitudes would be more affected by this, but at the same time, I don't believe Christians should attempt to use this as a "stealth" way to get others to say the prayer. As has been rightly mentioned, a prayer is more in the attitude and the thoughts than the mere saying - as the Pledge of Allegiance proves, saying words does not necessarily mean you believe in them. If the pledge were musically translated well, would you have a problem in that?

Sorry to derail here, but on a broader scale, this bodes poorly for society. Why do we rebel against Christian music that's disguised but not other music that may be just as disguised, merely not Christian? And more than that, why can we not appreciate music for what it is and not be restrained by the presumably non-intentional meaning behind it? Is art something that can only be practiced or appreciated by those who are of the same religion?

I don't like to be repetitively exposed to some quasi-subliminal Christian promo.

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand. Christian promo isn't promo unless someone is actively trying to, well, promote it. It's not subliminal until you understand the words, and when you do, you should see that its' not meant to be promo. And to respond to another post later, being harassed by some Christians does not make all things Christian bad - I think that this is a prime example of negative stereotyping.

Hmm, that's just what I think. In the end, I think that this is excellent music, and that's all I have to say about it. Now I know it's religious - and I don't mind anymore than if it weren't, or if it were about some other God. Because I am secure in my religion (or lack thereof, rather), and I can see beyond it to the goodness in the music itself. As someone else postulated, it would be a sad world if we had to reject all art that was remotely religious, no?

:) Me too, I heard this music it rocks. The last few parts were moving:cry: , because I have the Civilization IV game. I was a good music enough. It's gone into my mp3 player recently. Thanks a lot, I take the chorus in my high school. At first I thought the music sound very eerie!

:) Me too, I heard this music it rocks. The last few parts were moving:cry: , because I have the Civilization IV game. I was a good music enough. It's gone into my mp3 player recently. Thanks a lot, It take the chorus in my high school. At first I thought the music sound very eerie!

It doesn't matter if it's about religon, that's just what it is about.

Top Bottom