List every single nation your country has been at war with!

Phlegmak

Deity
This will either be vaguely interesting or generate juicy flaming.

I'll start with the US.

1. Britain (2x)
2. Itself (Civil war)
3. Iraq (2x)
4. Spain
5. North Korea
6. North Vietnam
7. Every single precolonial North American nation within the US's current borders
8. Mexico (2x if you include the independence of Texas)
9. Canada, while it was a British possession
10. Germany (2x)
11. Japan
12. Afghanistan
13. Libya (small engagement)
14. Iran (small engagement)
15. Somalia (small engagement)
16. Haiti (small engagement)
17. Panama (small engagement)

There are some other nations with which US has had some military skirmish. During WW1 the US invaded Russia, but I don't know much about that.

I'm sure I'm missing something.

EDIT: I forgot the Barbary Pirates, so let's say:
13. Libya (2x)

Did we ever declare against Austria-Hungary, Turkey, or Bulgaria in WWI? I don't think we did but we might have.

And definitely against the Barbary pirates, they weren't really a state but then neither were the North American Indian tribes.

1. Spain
2. America
3. Japan
4. Itself (MNLF, MILF, Abu Sayyaf, NPA)
5. Netherlands (as a colony of Spain)
Edit: I forgot that we were once at war with Britain. Albeit as a colony of Sapin.

Britain
Spain
Mexico
Germany
Austria-Hungary
Japan
Italy
Bulgaria
Hungary
Romania

No others, unless you mean military engagements. In which case, you forgot some.

Did we ever declare against Austria-Hungary, Turkey, or Bulgaria in WWI? I don't think we did but we might have.

And definitely against the Barbary pirates, they weren't really a state but then neither were the North American Indian tribes.
I don't know about those other nations during WW1.

The North American Indian tribes are generally considered nations.

Netherlands

• Punjab
  • Zulu
  • Transvaal
  • United States of America
  • Russia
  • Argentina
  • Ireland
  • North Korea
  • Japan
  • Sudan
  • Egypt
  • Afghanistan
  • Iraq
  • Germany
  • Austria-Hungary
  • Bulgaria
  • Turkey
  • Italy
  • Spain
  • France
  • Holland
  • Various Minor Germanic Nations
  • Italian Nation States
  • Denmark
  • Norway

Right Im getting bored, Im pretty sure I could go on for a lot longer.

I don't think I can list them all... I'm sure I'm going to miss some!

Dacia:

- The Persian Empire - result: win
- Scythia - result: win
- The Roman Empire (101-102 AD) - result: tie
The Roman Empire (105-106 AD) - result: loss and conquest + assimilation of most of Dacia

Wallachia:

- Hungary (first big battle 1330 - Posada) - result: total win
Hungary (lots of wars during the whole of the Middle Ages, until the XXth century!)
- The Ottoman Empire (state of constant war for almost 400 years, with brief times of peace - from the late Middle Ages to the Balkan Wars)
- Poland (a couple of times, as an ally of Moldova)
- Moldova (unification of Michael the Brave was done via conquest, as Hungary, Poland and the Ottomans wouldn't have accepted a peaceful unification)
- Transylvania (same as above, allies most of the time but when the Kingdom of Hungary forced them into battle, often adversaries)
- Austria (as Austria-Hungary, very often)
- Venice, France, The Papal State and most of the Catholic world (I could name lots here) - during the time of their "crusades" against Orthodox countries, mainly when they were here in the Balkans to fight against Byzantium.
- Serbia (mostly only when forced by the Ottomans, as a part of the Empire, to fight against the Ottoman's enemies - which sometimes Wallachia "happened" to be a part of ;))
- Bulgaria (same)

Romania (since 1877):

- The Ottoman Empire (full independence and international rights - 1877, but fights continued until the fall of the Ottoman Empire)
- Russia (we were invaded 12 times. Need I say more?)
- Hungary (territorial dispute over Transylvania - as well as many revolts we supported - due to religious and ethnic oppression in Transylvania)
- Austria-Hungary

This is without counting the world wars, in which we changed sides so often that we've been at war with almost everyone, at some time. :p

8. Mexico (2x if you include the independence of Texas)

3 times if you count Texas independace.

And of course we would have been at war with Austria in World War II.

Austria didn't exist during WWII as a nation state. Thats like saying we were at war with Korea during WWII.

When has the US been at war with the Netherlands??

Ah, never mind. I was thinking colonial periods. But it was Britain's army that did the job.

Austria didn't exist during WWII as a nation state. Thats like saying we were at war with Korea during WWII.

There were however Austrian people. Again, not all those that are listed in the OP were states either.

Wars that included actual fighting:
Egypt x4
Syria x4 (might become x5 soon)
Jordan x2
Lebanon x3 (possible x4 in the works)
Iraq x4

I think there was also fighting against small forces from other Arab countries, but I don't know much about it.

We also bombed Tunisia once, but the target was the PLO, not Tunisia itself.

There were however Austrian people. Again, not all those that are listed in the OP were states either.

Well if that is the case, there really isn't anyone we haven't fought with is there?

Well if that is the case, there really isn't anyone we haven't fought with is there?

It's somewhat different, in that the former Austrian state had merged into a state with whom we were at war.

Scotland
Ireland
Wales
France
Spain
USA
Netherlands
Germany
Austria-Hungary
Turkey
Bulgaria
Italy
Japan
Egypt
Austria
Russia
Sweden
Portugal
India
China
Persia
Bhutan
Afghanistan
Iraq
South Africa (Zulu)
South Africa (Boer)
Burma
Zanzibar (for all of 45 minutes)
Nigeria
Korea
Argentina
Indonesia
and whoever, if anyone we declared war on in Bosnia and Kosovo.
Oh, and itself (civil war)

I just counted wars after 1066 so no Romans or Vikings, as there wasn't really an England before then and instead several provinces with their own kings.

Pakistan (3 and 1/2 times) + a skirmish
China (once) plus a skirmish
Sri Lanka Civil War intervention
Maldives overthrew government with airdrops

In ancient, medevial, and colonial period there must have been hundreds if not thousands of wars. Far too many to count. Mainly:

Britain
France
Portuguese
Dutch
Persians
Afghans
Burmese
Indonesia
Sri Lanka
Huns
Various Central Asians
Mongols