I wish they would change GOTW

Pimpernickel

Chieftain
I would like GOTW more if you were only able to play it one time. Sure it's cool to figure out the best possible way to beat a map but, I don't think that's the essence of Civ. Exploration, luck, and skill should all factor into weekly GOTW contests. The current situation rewards endless repeats with full knowledge of the map and seed. If there is a CivRev2 I would like to see a leaderboard for first attempt or get rid of the multiple attempts completely. Anybody think the same?

I would like GOTW more if you were only able to play it one time. Sure it's cool to figure out the best possible way to beat a map but, I don't think that's the essence of Civ. Exploration, luck, and skill should all factor into weekly GOTW contests. The current situation rewards endless repeats with full knowledge of the map and seed. If there is a CivRev2 I would like to see a leaderboard for first attempt or get rid of the multiple attempts completely. Anybody think the same?

I think that GOTW has nothing to do with the skill of a player, and if somebody thinks he is really strong because he is first in GOTW, he would lie. I could agree with this, I don't like so much the Game of The Week and don't like all these "move NW, then SE, then 3562452504170 tiles there, get a galley, move it there, then sell this and attack, etc.."

I see most players playing it like to find the best way, in my opinion a waste of time with no fun, and not a real challenge.

Yes, it's an unfortunate side effect of being able to play the same game multiple times that it's possible to "game" the system to determine an "ideal" strategy.

Perhaps if the current "multiple start / no save" restriction were inverted the challenge would be better. In other words, you could start the game only once, saving the game would automatically quit and loading the game would automatically delete the saved game. So each week you got one shot at playing through the entire game. You could still "game" the system by having multiple accounts though... Hrmm... maybe if you (and the AI) started with the map fully visible, but with multiple accounts you could still try out different strategies. Even locking it to one attempt per system (if that is possible) wouldn't prevent groups of people (clans?) from working together.

I like GOTW, I just don't always have the patience to replay every move over and over again till I find the best string of moves.

GOTW is like chess puzzles. Chess puzzles won't make you a better player, and are usually made up of unrealistic situations, but can still be fun to those who choose to play them, although they still won't make u too much of a better tourney chess player.

But, GOTW can teach you a lot of things about the game, primarily how to make the most of every turn. Since on MP, you don't have the luxary of knowing the map, it may not always help, but GOTW has taught me that you can do so many more things in a turn than just your tired old strategies. It can teach you new techiniques to getting places faster, to be more efficent, and how to kill everyone really fast in 10 different ways.

of course, this is against the AI, which doesn't really attack you, so it may not be helpful agianst rushers. But the Deity AI has a Great Leader, a Barracks, and Iron Working and Bronze working from the first turn of the game, so they do defend better than any human will (except in the first 8 turns or so).

It does take skill to post those early BC Deity victories, and anyone who doesn't agree, should try to get the top spot. Yes, if you are good enough at the game, you'll probably crack the top 10, but some of these GOTW guys can really shred a map early in the week, and leave even the best of MP players scratching their heads.

Yeah, they should change GOTW so it's different each time. I kinda stopped playing it (and CivRev) when I started getting the same maps as before...

Yeah, they should change GOTW so it's different each time. I kinda stopped playing it (and CivRev) when I started getting the same maps as before...

No, it should be the same map to be fair, but you can play it only once.

Winning in the BC in deity in that way is also about luck if you don't repeat it and it also depends on the civilization. I don't like the Game of The Week and it's not more than puzzle. You only need game of the week experience, and I'm sure if some GOTW would play a normal game, they wouldn't do too much damage against a good player.

They key is NOT to confuse GOTW with a standard game, especially with an MP game. It is a very different kind of game, more like a puzzle than a strategy game. I find it interesting and entertaining and in some sense more mental challenge than the MP games. It is truly turn-based (unlike MP) and you compete on finding the most efficient route to victory, there is practically no luck factor involved (there is a random seed but it is deterministic and can be manipulated). While in an MP game a LOT depends on luck, not only with respect to the map layout, but also in terms of parallel moves, when battles are decided based on who is faster on the trigger or luckier and not on strategy.

Forcing 1-time-play is practically impossible (you could use a different login name, share info with friends etc.), so no point even trying to enforce that. Instead, I would advocate going the other way and allowing the game to be saved/loaded. As it stands now, you can repeat as many times as you want, so it is the same effect, just much more tedious and time consuming. With save/load ability, you could work out the best solution so much faster and would not be boring and repetitive as it is now sometimes.

Top Bottom