Grrrrr! archers

Heretiv

Warlord
OK.
Just a rant really.

I am sure there are easy solutions.
However, I am finding removing archer defence from capitals that I want to attack quite problematic.

Yes, I know I should just cobble a warrior or legion army together.
However, what with palace bonus, fortified, maybe 'great leader' from the Romans, I am finding incumbent archers very difficult.

Now, I could keep going on, and get some cannon to dislodge them, but, surely there is a way of taking them out while still in medival or ancient era?

(Yes, I tried spies too)

Archers are a defensive unit, and therefor hard to get by.

You might need to attack with several units in one turn, to decimate the defendants forces.
First send in a spy to disrupt wont do any harm either. Get some armies going (catapults, horses or legions etc) and attack with several armies in one round, and it should be little easier.

First, it sounds like you are using individual units to attack. You must use armies. Second, archers are much too strong for warriors, even warrior armies. What you want to do, is produce one or two warriors to look for barbarians you can take out for the gold. Then start researching Horseback Riding. Then use the money from the barbarians to build you first horse army as quickly as possible. If you can hit a barb village on the way and get promoted to veteran, that will help. However, even a veteran horse army cannot take an archer army out. That is why you have to hurry with your horses. By 2000bc, you will start to see archer armies in the AI capitals. At that point, the horse years are over unless you have/acquire Religion and enter Fundamentalism. If you can get Fundy+ Infiltration, you can go after capitals defended by archer armies and win most of the time. A Great general and/or standing on a hill helps, too. As CM Mike said, a spy does not hurt either. If you use Mikes advice to attack several times, make sure you finish the defender off, other wise they will be healed and upgraded when you attack again. Also, remember that this tactic will not work against the Aztecs with their auto-healing power.

This was with Legion armies, attacking from jill or forest ( not over a river ) also with using a spy to diable defences.

Either way, looks like I will go for fundamentalism and maybe just lemming wave it - Rome is on the direct path to the other civs I want to bash.

Yeah, Fundamentalism is really strong because it adds +1 attack per unit so that's +3 for the army, but it's also added before any bonuses so if you are veteran (and why aren't you if not?) then that's really +4.5. If you're coming off a hill or have infiltration, it's now up to +6, etc., etc.

Catapults are a good bet to take down an archer army. You can also use 3+ legion armies. In any case, it's important to go in with more than one army just because if you're unlucky you'll be sent home with nothing.

Yeah, Fundamentalism is really strong because it adds +1 attack per unit so that's +3 for the army, but it's also added before any bonuses so if you are veteran (and why aren't you if not?) then that's really +4.5. If you're coming off a hill or have infiltration, it's now up to +6, etc., etc.

Catapults are a good bet to take down an archer army. You can also use 3+ legion armies. In any case, it's important to go in with more than one army just because if you're unlucky you'll be sent home with nothing.

Yep. One of the few drawbacks of horse rushing is that you usually can only get one army together to rush the first cap. It makes that first battle almost a make or break proposition.

No doubt a stupid idea, but how about a GOTW where, instead of loading the AIs up with starting techs, great leaders and so forth, make the starting position a 2000bc game where the player's civ just failed at an attempt to horse rush.

Top Bottom