Civilization: Marlboro Country!

Do you take smoke breaks while playing Civ?

• Yes

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Don't smoke/Ex-smoker

Votes: 55 65.5%
  • I have an ashtray by my keyboard.

Votes: 14 16.7%

• Total voters

superslug

Still hatin' on Khan
Hall of Fame Staff
I'm curious how many Civilization players smoke. In many many cases, I've stepped outside to burn one while my computer went through the dreaded turn wait, especially later in the game. I also do it to focus for a second and plot my next moves. It also helps to get circulation going in the rear again.

For those of you under the age of 18, I recommend against smoking. For those of you over the age of 18, well, I still recommend against this nasty expensive addiction.

it's been an unhealthy weekend, girlfriend away on a trip, civ 3 installed for the first time (big mistake knowing my addiction with civ1 and 2), ashtray piling up by the side, many 6am finishes

ashtray by the side is an expensive option, if something is going on you forget to have as many puffs as you need to satisfy the addiction so you just light another

however i'm not sure a ciggie break is much better as you puff so quickly the cigarette has a whole inch of burning ash, which won't drop off on the end, 2 min rush smoking is even more unhealthy imo

actually tobacco could have been a nice luxury in civ3, not very politically correct for the young uns who play it though

Tobacco's inclusion wouldn't have been politically correct? I don't know, the game already gives young one access to Wine and ICBM's!

not to forget guns that they can't buy, and lots of explosives from bombard units...

Well, smoking is of another age IMO, manners from the last centuries (discovering of tobacoo by Europeans during American colonization...). Moreover, it gives you nothing (unless you have already started !!! :D :o ), it's a waste of money, it pollutes your cells, it makes your mouth and your clothes stink, it empowers the mafia industry of tobacco...

But anyway, stop with your politically correct things, you Americans ! Of course tobacco can be a good luxury for a colonization game ! Don't we have slaves in Civ3 ? I mean physical slaves, not capitalistic slaves of our times... :p

If you need a break in your Civ sessions, then stop the game more often. As for me, I don't smoke at all, but I can play Civ for many, many hours in a row without being tired (maybe hungry ?). Still, not a good habit. :lol:

Tobacco can be found in DYP!

They make a tobacco dip these days? Wow!

kryszcztov: You're right about smoking being nasty. It's the second stupidest thing I've ever done (the first was passing up a chance to ROP-Rape Mongolia in Civ3). And I really don't think much of political correctness, actually I do believe Zurichuk and I were poking fun at it rather well...

Originally posted by superslug

They make a tobacco dip these days? Wow!

Joking, or not? :flipscoin: joking

I was rather surprised that Double Your Please had Tobacco in it, but looking back it makes sense. . . .

Don't smoke. But if I did I would have to take breaks, as my system is so fragile, why add another thing for it to worry about?

well those anti-smoking players could trade it to third world growing civs and not use it for their own civ if it existed, that would be true to life, maybe even get sued for a few thousand gold if their population drops, provided they could prove it wasn't the neighbouring jungle, actually could be a whole new game, lol

I gave up smoking 'cause my girlfriend asked me to do so....
Now she's asking me to give up civving....

No, just kidding about the last part...:D

I used to smoke a pipe - still have all my pipes. but gave it up at my wife's request.
Now she DOES request that I give up 'Civving... not as easy as giving up the pipe.
But I don't think I could afford to smoke a pipful on every turn break :D Which on a huge world gets to be 20 minutes or so...

As of the time I post this, less than 20% of respondents smoke! Despite (or maybe because) I smoke, I'm very happy to see how many people out there don't light up. The poll is of course not at all scientific, but it's a much lower percentage than of the general populations of the free world, which I guess means CFC users are quite a bit more intelligent than everyone else!

I don't smoke while I play, mostly 'cause I don't smoke ever. Drinking while I play, on the other hand, has kept me up for many a wee hour.

Smoke, drink, and play Civ.

It's a good axiom to live by, I try to live true to it. :)

Yeah, my dream computer setup would be dual monitor with PTW and CFC each having a screen with a huge ashtray and bottle of whiskey sitting between my 25 inch behomeths...

For me, smoking is one of these things that i think is morally wrong. I have nothing against people who do, but i dont see the point in doing it. You get bad breath, your clothes smell, it will give you cancer(if u smoke for long enough), costs ALOT of money, and can make you anxious and irratable if you are addicted and not had a fag in a while. Saying this im not old enough to(legally) smoke, and will never try :)

Top Bottom