Best City Location on Earth

dlerium

Chieftain
Uh, I heard the fork place where the Mississippi forks is an excellent place? I've gotten population to like 29, but not sure where else is a good place. I believe in South America, I've gotten 32 - 33 or something....

Oh yea, and basically what are "good" places for cities. How should I place them based on the shields on terrain?

Two of my favourites:
River with swamp in Africa
River with swamp in South America.

Several things to remember:
irrigate square before building city (I beleive you need to railroad it was well) every square will revceive 4 food. 4*21 = 82 food 82/2 = 41.

I've had the odd problem when one of my swamps turns to Mountains and I lose 4 food (biggest is 39 then)

Well, it's been a long time I haven't played to Civ 1, but I remember a game where, for fun, I've let one ennemy surviving with one city in order to expand in every places of the world. I've even colonized Siberia in destroying the whole forest which is huge there.

My largest city was in South America, right in the middle of Amazonia (which I've totally changed into grassland), the population was 40. If I recall correctly, that made about 8 million people.

That's I believe the best location. :)

There are three places where you can get an ultimate city of 42.

Northern America - Misisipi area
South America - Amazone area
Africa - Zaire area.

21 tiles with 4 food (you have to irrigate your city tile also) is 84 food. 84 food will bring you up to citysize 42

42 = (0.5 * x^2) + (0.5 * x)
42 = 882 + 21
42 = 903
42 = 9,030,000

That's the max on earth I think

==

The last growth of your city will take a long time. And any babarian or enemy that is moving through your city surroundings will increase this time :/ (Especially if they stay on a tile, or they pillage some of your zonal improvements)

Top Bottom