Favorite Era ?

As I almost always play wide or semi-wide and never play pangaea, I'd say medieval just because Trireme exploration to find islands for my last wave of settling is so much fun.

This should have been made a poll. For my vote, its got to be the Renaissance era. 2 Reasons why. First because of the technology Astronomy allowing ocean crossing with Caravals as well as allowing embarked units to cross ocean tiles as well. I love to explore in this game.

Plus with the Printing Press tech allowing for Diplomacy and its victory condition for starting develope.
The World Congress adds a new dimension to playing civ.

Information era.

Blindly stumbling through fog of war with weak units isn't fun to me. Nukes are :mischief:

I'd also say Ancient era is best. It really gives u a feeling of building your entire empire from scratch and having to fight for all the earliest and most important wonders.

Late game becomes to similar, although I too don't begin my conquest before I get artillery and battleships.

Medieval-Renaissance. After this most civs start to lose their unique feel. Special mention goes to Ancient era when you really feel the birth of your civ.

Medieval and Renaissance.

It's about this point in the game that I feel the endgame strategy starts to solidify, and now borders are starting to cause clashes between civs. Usually by now you also know most/all of your rivals, so who stays/dies is pretty set in stone.

Honorable mention to Industrial because now some of the rivalries are pretty intense, and now the units are starting to be more hearty either because they're new strong units, or about the time they've got a solid number of promotions that make them exceptionally deadly.

Seems like it's rarely just ONE preferred era. I keep seeing the pairing of two consecutive eras.

For me Modern-Atomic-Information because I love the variety of units & war gets so interesting I love it

Ancient. I like finding out what's happening around me and trying to plan for what to do based on that.

Ancient and last era. The others are not distinguishable from one another.

Modern era. In this era, combat gets deadlier. Before you could hold off hordes of melee units with bows or Gatlings, but with the introduction of air combat, artillery, and deadlier infantry (battleships) too if you have coastal cities) just tanking with 4-6 ranged units isn't enough. Also, the decisions made in this era determine the factions of the world and whether you win or lose. Finally, after the modern era it's often set in stone whether or not you would win/lose the game, and becomes either just spamming next turn or giving up in hopelessness.

Top Bottom