City State Diplomacy Mod (Updated)

Odd! I didn't change the art for the Forum Romanum, but I will look into it. I bet I just forgot to set VFS to true.

Update: I just forgot to include CSDBuildings80.dds. I've reattached below.

It works now.

Gazebo
are you going to update for BNW ?

it is clear from the info we are getting ,it going to be like a new game where diplomacy is concerned

BSR

Gazebo
are you going to update for BNW ?

it is clear from the info we are getting ,it going to be like a new game where diplomacy is concerned

BSR

As always, thanks for continuing to express interest in CSD. I will make CSD compatible with the expansion, though I do not know, features-wise, what role(s) CSD will play until I have spent time with the expansion. I have heard rumors that a 'diplomat' unit will be included in the expansion. If such a unit overlaps significantly with the purpose of CSD, I may either subsume it within CSD as a new part of the mod or, if CSD becomes redundant, simply retire CSD altogether. If the new unit does not overlap, then I see no reason why CSD cannot continue as it stands now. The mod is pretty balanced, works well enough and still sees a fair bit of use. As details on Brave New World emerge, feel free to ask questions or make suggestions here.

Take care,
Gazebo

@Gazebo
The diplomat is an option for the spy in the espionage screen for use with the World Congress. It's not a unit and doesn't (afaik) interact with CSs, so shouldn't overlap with CSD very much.

You'll have to change the tag line for CSD though, the Diplomatic victory will be changed significantly - it won't be so simplistic anymore.:)

@Gazebo
The diplomat is an option for the spy in the espionage screen for use with the World Congress. It's not a unit and doesn't (afaik) interact with CSs, so shouldn't overlap with CSD very much.

You'll have to change the tag line for CSD though, the Diplomatic victory will be changed significantly - it won't be so simplistic anymore.:)

Indeed, so I hear! I can honestly say that I look forward to the day when CSD is no longer needed; not because I don't want to work on it anymore (I still enjoy modding, mind you), but because it means CSD's raison d'être has been fulfilled via vanilla gameplay choices and opportunities. That, I imagine, is the wish of most modders (it is the reason I got started down this path in the first place).

I still remember, years ago, when you, Seek, submitted the Forum artwork that is used to this day. Ah, the memories.

-Gazebo

Indeed, so I hear! I can honestly say that I look forward to the day when CSD is no longer needed; not because I don't want to work on it anymore (I still enjoy modding, mind you), but because it means CSD's raison d'être has been fulfilled via vanilla gameplay choices and opportunities. That, I imagine, is the wish of most modders (it is the reason I got started down this path in the first place).

I still remember, years ago, when you, Seek, submitted the Forum artwork that is used to this day. Ah, the memories.

-Gazebo

Gazebo-even though the Diplomatic Victory sounds like it won't be so much of an obvious exploit, I still believe your mod will serve a vital function. Using units to modify your standing amongst City-States makes far more sense to me than merely "bribing them"-that should only *really* work when said City-State is "seeking investors".

Aussie.

Gazebo-even though the Diplomatic Victory sounds like it won't be so much of an obvious exploit, I still believe your mod will serve a vital function. Using units to modify your standing amongst City-States makes far more sense to me than merely "bribing them"-that should only *really* work when said City-State is "seeking investors".

Aussie.

I hope so. I also saw line this today in the gameinformer preview:

Throughout the game, international trade provides a new mechanism to spread tourism and religion (while making money) to other empires. Starting with the discovery of animal husbandry, the caravan can deliver goods to neighboring civilizations, providing a boon to both parties. These exist on a different layer than other units, so there is no concern about blocking your military maneuvers.

If this means that economic units are on a different layer from both military and worker units, I cannot wait to make CSD diplomats on their own layer as well. If it just means they are on the worker/great person layer...well that isn't such a novel idea, after all. We shall see.

Article, for interested: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/civilization_v_brave_new_world/b/pc/archive/2013/04/12/civilization-v-brave-new-world-expansion-will-be-quintessential-civ-experience.aspx

I have the Steam Workshop version of this mod, but it does not seem to work properly when I use other mods.

Gold Gifting to City States is active, and though I can build Diplomacy buildings, I cannot recruit any Diplomatic Units. The other Mods I am using are...

Community Call to Power (latest version, civ fanatics version)
Religion Beliefs Expansion
Religion Improved Customization
Ingame Editor

EDIT Nevermind the issue has been resolved.

Quick question, sorry if covered previously.... Am in the middle of a game with CSD v34, G&K, on a Mac (10.6). If I update mid-game to v36, will it
- apply to current game?
- apply to new game but have no effect on current game?
- mess up current game?

Am really enjoying this Mod!!

Quick question, sorry if covered previously.... Am in the middle of a game with CSD v34, G&K, on a Mac (10.6). If I update mid-game to v36, will it
- apply to current game?
- apply to new game but have no effect on current game?
- mess up current game?

Am really enjoying this Mod!!

Stick with v34, as sometimes things get crazy when you update a mod mid-game. Glad you like it!

Downloaded the BNW patch for the Mac App store Campaign version this morning. 1.68GB and my graphics are changed, so it looks to be the same as the pre-load some PC Steam people were getting. Had to re-edit my MainMenu.lua to get my mods back. There now seems to be only one copy of this file in the Home/assests/UI/FrontEnd folder for the main game.

Loaded a saved game with the following mods active:
City State Diplomacy v35
Cultural Diffusion v16
Custom Advanced Setup Screen v5
Emigration v4
Hex Conquer and Release v3
InfoAddict v19
PerfectWorld v3
R.E.D. Modpack v26
Revolutions v8

The game loaded. The map looked fine; no city state banners in the fog which I've found a common symptom of a mod gone wrong. I've only played a couple of turns, but I was able to pop my emissary for the correct amount of influence correctly applied; I can build another one; the gold gifts are correctly greyed out.

The game did crash on quitting. That's a problem I've been having since installing Emigration v4 and Revolutions v8 (the last two mods I installed). It doesn't affect the last saved game.

I have not purchased BNW yet, but by all accounts the patch includes most of the logic changes, so it looks good for day zero compatibility.

Compatibility issues aside, are you planning on updating the mod to make use of any of the new game systems?

Aussie.

Thanks, everyone, for the quick feedback! I'm glad to hear that it is at least loading and working on a basic level.

I will be updating CSD once I've had time to sift through the systems and get a better feel for the changes brought about by Brave New World. I really, really like the trading mechanic. It is easy to manipulate, and adds great depth to geopolitics without being tedious. It is what I am eyeing the most. Right now, though, I've got two potential new avenues for moving forward:

1. If possible (and I think it is), I am considering shifting diplomatic units over to the trade route model, where a 'route' with a diplo unit would generate x influence points per turn. This wouldn't impact the core trading mechanic, but rather simply borrow it for CSD.

2. I could also integrate the diplomacy-influence system into the existing trade routes system to incentivize players to trade with city-states. Right now, the only bonuses you get are Gold and Religious spread – it would be a nice counter-point to the ever-vital research points potentially received from trading with major civs. This would be the least intrusive update for CSD, and doesn't necessarily have to result in the end of the diplo units, as I could make them more expensive, more powerful and more rare (for those times where you need a big boost of diplomacy with a city-state. I could even turn them into Great People, though I want to avoid overlap with Great Merchants.

If CSD stays the same:

1. I will need to alter unit costs to reflect the additional expenses/units/buildings etc. in the game now.

2. I also plan on altering the diplomatic buildings to give a slight boost to Tourism (reducing their cultural boosts respectively) in order to reflect the role of diplomacy.

3. I am worried that CSD breaks Venice, as I had to modify the Merchant AI to only do 'gold gifts,' and being able to buy city-states is a big factor for Venice. I'm not sure how to correct this.

Ultimately, though, here's the big question: with all of the new mechanics, does the community still feel the need for CSD? I don't want to work on this if it feels redundant, as that was always my admitted stopping point for working on CSD. Personally, I see a lot of potential for CSD to expand on the diplomatic game.

Also, because these mechanics are such an overhaul of the existing mod, I think I am going to release a new version of CSD that is BNW only. That way the Vanilla/G&K version, which works well, won't be a headache to make three-way compatible.

Thoughts?

Hmm, how would activating CSD mid-game work? I left it off for my first game with BNW, but damn, I miss it. Stupid gold gifts for influence, I feel like I'm a lobbyist working with politicians.

Hmm, how would activating CSD mid-game work? I left it off for my first game with BNW, but damn, I miss it. Stupid gold gifts for influence, I feel like I'm a lobbyist working with politicians.

I wouldn't recommend it, but feel free to try and then revert back to a save before you activated CSD (or just duplicate your save and make one for CSD).

Top Bottom