understanding ideology's

CarpeDiem

Warlord
just finished a save I originally had order then the people were unhappy so i switched to freedom, shortly after they wanted order again. please what influences the people??? is it buildings/other civs what?

Other civs. Specifically, their tourism output in comparison to your culture output. It sounds like you were getting heavily influenced by both a freedom civ and an order civ. Getting influenced by someone of your ideology should have helped mitigate the influence of the opposing ideology, though. Maybe you should have just built happiness buildings.

I won via science anyway but it was my first save on this expansion. i will try and learn next time

You probably have a very low tourism (compared to there culture) towards a freedom civ and an order civ and those two (or more than two of course) have a high tourism against you (compared to your culture). This makes your civ very weak and vulnerable against whoever is opposing your ideology. Increasing tourism against civs with opposing ideology is very important.

mmm i will have to look into focusing on tourism next time around ; i played in my usual way ignoring the new concepts

what are good tips for tourism?

Get your Guilds up early. Use internal trade routes to pump up your capital's food so you can work them without sacrificing growth.

You don't have to focus so much on tourism, but it can't be ignored.

In one of my games I had about 90-100 tourism during the atomic era. That was enough to cancel out the ideology pressure from all but the cultural gaming civs.
I spend a musician on the cultural gaming civ that was the one that pressured my people in that game. Not that I cared for a cultural win, just to get my pressure on him up a level. Sure he still caused me to have dissidents and that is not that difficult to handle (more so than civil resistance in any case).

culture is your defense against ideology pressure. I all but ignore tourism in most games, just make sure you get the guild running and staffed and ally a cultural CS or two. Just make generating culture a priority for getting through the policies and you will be fine most of the time

If you hold off on popping any GWAM before you get your factories up you can go Autocracy and take the mini-tourist bomb policy. Early on a 250 tourism bomb every time you get a GWAM can get you back into the influence game in a hurry. You don't even need to make them great works, you can use them for culture bombs and golden ages. With a good setup with gardens and national epic you could pop the first two of each type in less than 35 turns. That would nab you 1500 tourism with everyone, much better than the 12 tourism per turn that you'd get using them as early great works.

They're kind of complicated to understand even when you have both of the civilizations with different ideologies and both of them with a decent amount of tourism per turn. Both of the civilizations sometimes show up content for some odd reason. Some ideologies have happiness generating social policies that help "cope" with the unhappy "side-effects" of having a low tourism ideology.

If you hold off on popping any GWAM before you get your factories up you can go Autocracy and take the mini-tourist bomb policy. Early on a 250 tourism bomb every time you get a GWAM can get you back into the influence game in a hurry. You don't even need to make them great works, you can use them for culture bombs and golden ages. With a good setup with gardens and national epic you could pop the first two of each type in less than 35 turns. That would nab you 1500 tourism with everyone, much better than the 12 tourism per turn that you'd get using them as early great works.

...Wouldn't you be completely screwed on culture output though? You really can't be getting very many social policies with this strategy.

...Wouldn't you be completely screwed on culture output though? You really can't be getting very many social policies with this strategy.

Probably would work for a cultural warmonger type, The Songhai, Aztecs and maybe Japan. Can't imagine it working without an extra culture benefit though. Songhai with Choral music would probably be best.

Probably would work for a cultural warmonger type, The Songhai, Aztecs and maybe Japan. Can't imagine it working without an extra culture benefit though. Songhai with Choral music would probably be best.

I did almost that with Japan. I didn't save any GWAMs but I didn't focus on creating them either (until the modern era). I had around 75 tourism when I became an Autocrat and around 175 when I won a diplo-victory (gunboat ...:thumbsup: ). Those 250 per GP spend kept my autocracy stable, yeah, I got dissidents, but nothing more serious.

I wouldn't ignore creating great works, but unless you are going for a cultural victory, you don't need to focus so extremely on it.

Top Bottom