Twillight of Byzantium

This is amazing!

I didn't think it'd be so hard to win as the Byzantines, though.

You made them underpowered ;)

Considering the situation the Byzantines where in when this scenario starts, I think I actually overpowered them.

Winning as the Byzantines is possible, as reported earlier in this thread.

Bump.

I've always loved this scenario, I've tried it a few times as the Byzantines, as they're always my favourite, but despite having a fair amount of success in driving out the Ottomans from Thrace and reclaiming all of mainland Greece and a few Isles, in Anatolia the Ottomans are unstoppable, and generally get a VP victory unless I cheat.(Move all my garrisons one square out of all my cities, gift them to a weak nation, and conquer them all back the same turn artificially raising the amount of VPs I get) Of course, I'd love to be able to win without resorting to such measures, so I fiddled with the Editor to make all civs playable and tacked on a good number of turns as well, and started up a game as the Trapezuntines, as when playing as the Byzantines it's virtually impossible to divert troops to take Anatolia, especially once the Ottomans have full control of the entire peninsula, which they generally do by the time you are no longer just barely managing to survive.

So as the Trapezuntine Empire, I quickly took a number of cities from the neighbouring Beyliks before they fell into Ottoman hands, and enlisted the help of the Mamluks and Cilicians as soon as I learned Diplomacy to help keep the bulk of the Ottoman army in the south.

After two or three failed sorties against Ankara, I finally managed to take the city, which was a decisive turning point in the war. After that I was able to conquer another 5 cities relatively quickly, while the Cilicians briefly took one city before it was recaptured by the Ottomans, then the Mamluks managed to capture 2 or 3 cities as well.

The situation for the Byzantines seems fairly stable. The Ottoman army in Europe has petered out and is beginning to be beaten back by Wallachia and Bosnia. Constantinople remains under Byzantine control, and in Greece the Byzantines have conquered an additional 3 cities, although not much change has happened there for a while.

The problem is, that whenever I hit a certain date(save attached below), the game engine between turns keeps running and does not end. I was very disappointed, as for the first time ever it appeared as though the Ottomans might be eliminated, and I can't finish my game! Any help/ideas that people have as to why this might be(or if the problem even occurs for other people) would be much appreciated.

Here's a screenie of Anatolia right now, if people are interested.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Alexius of the Trapezuntines, 1458 AD.SAV
    276.2 KB · Views: 148
I don't have time to look at the save now, but I'm afraid it's most likely a bug in the game, so I doubt there is much to be done. :/

Are you sure? I've just tried both the .zip and the .biq and they seem to be alright.

Yeah I just downloaded the save and big in Chrome, but the other did not work. It did download in Edge.

BTW I finally install the scenario and loaded the save and it played on to the next turn for me. The post was years ago, so could just be a cpu bound issue on an older pc.

How do you convert a monk? Nothing in the pedia about the how, just that it converts to a knight.

Edit: Finally got the editor and it shows it has an upgrade, though I am not able to do it. I have a barracks and have upgraded knights.

The Monk actually enslave units and they become Knights.

Last edited:
This could have gone into the screen shot thread, though I did not bother to take one. I got a popup stating the Byz has signed an embargo vs me. The problem is that we have a Locked Alliance. Nice indeed. I hate locked alliances anyway. The lamest part is that they have had all their tiles pillaged,
so I am sending them horses and iron. Clever of them to embargo themselves.

If I dow someone, my allied nation can make peace and force me to peace. Should I make peace, they can dow and so on. The AI loves to break its war/peace deals and thrash its rep and yours.

I am going to land on that landmass soon and see, if I can just take them out. I expect to find out I cannot attack them, so worse of both worlds. They can do what they want and I cannot stop them, will see.

Somebody in a locked alliance can sign an embargo against you? It's so long since I've played a scenario where locked alliances have more than one civ per alliance.

probably playing the losers in Trabzon , considering the the attraction of a "perverse" play in that scenario must be that the whole world is against that crooked empire in the city ... yeah played as Ottomans and a version nothing in Turkish language remained around .

Later they would not give me a rop, lol. They booted my ships out of their borders. Mind you I have been sinking ships that have come to drop troops on them for a long time. I will have their lone city surrounded by my towns next turn. They are so lucky I cannot dow or they would be gone. Now they are safe as no one can come at them from any direction, except the air and no paratroops are in this game.

I think that the embargo may be a bug. I have not played that many scenarios with lock alliances.

One more humorous (silly) thing, one of their tiles was across water on my side. It was the only tile under their control. It had pollution on the trees. I had workers parked nearby, so I cleared the tile. The turn after, I had removed workers that had movement, he booted the rest off, saying troops were careless or something. Of course our reps are shot as he makes peace so frequently. I eventually I stopped caring and attack whom I want, mainly anyone in sight. He starts wars as well, so I would be stuck with a stack warring on someone and he makes peace, sigh.

Noob here. How do I download the Art and Text files? All I can find is the .biq file.

It's right where the word ‘download’ is in the first post.

That's what I was initially thinking but when I click on it nothing is happening. Is the link working for you?

Ahh, I see it's probably a browser issue since I was using google. I'm using Edge now but it's giving a message saying it can't be downloaded securely. Should I try a different browser?

Top Bottom