Moving to emporer (G&K)

twilson1972

Warlord
Hey all

Well ive played 3 games in total now, all on king and won them all pretty easily so its time to move up to emperor

I didnt do anything particularly clever, just obvious things (worker out early, get as many ruins as possible, focus on settling luxuries etc) but each time i flew ahead of the AI on tech by an age or so

So, on emperor, does anyone have any tips? im planning to play archipelago since i like naval warfare

This makes early warfare hard (ship of the line being first decent bombard ship really)

Can tech parity be achieved without warring early?

Forget wonders?...due to my huge tech lead by modern era i just built them all from modern onwards..

On civ iv on emperor i always break the back of my biggest opponent early since i struggle to keep tech parity.

I imagine spies become a lot more important now?. Right now i just use them for counterintelligence/rigging.

Cheers

My vague recollection is that there is not a lot of difference in the levels until you try to move from Immortal to Deity. That does seem to require a substantial change in thinking and methods. But it's a long time since I played on the lower levels. I should probably go back, because I don't do too well at the higher ones!

I agree with mbbcam. I found no challenge at all going to Emperor, and after a few games even Immortal seemed OK. Deity took longer, but once you get used to Deity everything else seems really easy, since the same good play applies at all levels.

Don't know about G&K, but I'm playing BNW, and it's a bunch of crap.

Epic speed, Great Library is consistently gone by turn 60! Yes--turn 60 on epic speed. Hanging Gardens gone by turn 65, etc.

Never mind this last game I had SIX salt, next to a mountain, stole a worker and had three salt mines done. My production? Seven. Once someone else built the GL, my production was suddenly 20+. I'd love to see an explanation for that!

Game cheats big time once you go past king.

Turn sixty doesn't sound that bad, I'd expect the great library to be gone around turn sixty on marathon, more like thirty to forty on epic.

Can't explain the change in production but the numbers are normally transparent. Hover over your hammers number and it will tell you the base from tiles you're working, and list out building and policy multipliers etc. The computer cheats on higher levels sure, but not in that way. They get to basically ignore happiness, extra starting settlers and units, techs etc.

Don't know about G&K, but I'm playing BNW, and it's a bunch of crap.

Epic speed, Great Library is consistently gone by turn 60! Yes--turn 60 on epic speed. Hanging Gardens gone by turn 65, etc.

Never mind this last game I had SIX salt, next to a mountain, stole a worker and had three salt mines done. My production? Seven. Once someone else built the GL, my production was suddenly 20+. I'd love to see an explanation for that!

Part of learning to play on higher difficulties is realising that you can't build all (or sometimes, many or any) wonders. The Great Library honestly isn't all that great, so there's no point building it. On Deity, Standard speed it regularly goes T23-27, but no one cares cuz they didn't try for it.

As for the bug with the hammers, can you post a save?

I don't think I'd look at it that way -- after all, the computer has no concept of honesty or deception. It's just that the computer has been programmed to make things more difficult for the human player at the higher levels. Given that this is a fairly simple game intended to work on a home computer, the way this has been done is fairly crude: by giving bonuses and advantages to the AI civs. This is basically the same as handicapping, which has been around in horse racing at least since the 18th century.

I know that some members of the forum are attempting to address this by making the AI more "intelligent", but at the moment a large part of playing the game (it seems to me) consists of learning the quirks of what the game is programmed to do. I can only compare this to using some of the old flight simulators, when it sometimes seemed to me that actually knowing how to fly was a disadvantage. It would be amusing seeing Napoleon, Sejong, Montezuma and all the others trying to play Civ: they would no doubt be miserable players!

Napoleon would throw a tantrum like he did in Bill and Ted.

Thanks guys.

I guess I was just finding it so frustrating. To me, it's a big leap up from King.

My advice docbud is to ask yourself the following question:

Which will hold more enjoyment for you in the long run (and there is not one correct answer, it would vary from person to person):

1. Staying at your current level and exploring everything the game has to offer. This choice would mean you don't have to do anything, and can play however you like.

or

2. Trying to beat the game on increasingly higher difficulty levels. The only thing you have to accept if you do this is that certain strategies work much better than others.

My final piece of advice is, while listening to the people on here who can help you grow your cities really well, don't buy 100% into the idea that growth is king. Don't overlook conquest ;)

You're right of course. Reverted. Don't mess with success! ;)

@consentient: Oh--I'm definitely going to stay at the higher levels and improve.

And I did have a game, where although I didn't get many wonders, I did take quite a few enemy capitals. I was really kicking butt playing as Poland.

I'm doing okay at Emperor level, but I do find it frustrating when every other turn another wonder is built by someone else.

I've practically resigned myself to not even attempting to build them anymore.

Even on Deity, some are gettable, but you have to adjust accordingly.

I'd say that, of the ones worth getting, the following are gettable up to and including Deity provided you play a certain way:

Pyramids - Easily gettable. AI seldom goes Liberty and even more seldom prioritises this OP Wonder. Having your workers work much faster for the whole of the game would be good enough anyway, IMO. But the opportunities for pillage-repair in enemy lands during conquest makes it probably the best wonder.

Oracle - Also under-prioritised, except by 2 or 3 leaders such as Gandhi and Pacal, etc.

LToP & Sistine are also gettable, but you should beeline Printing Press and/or Acoustics as soon as you can. If I'm playing peaceful, I generally beeline Printing Press, build LToP and use the free GE for Sistine, if I can.

The rest of the pre-Industrial wonders are either not worth it or too difficult to get, IMO.

Best of luck :)

^^I can usually get Oracle without a problem. I also like to get the Forbidden Palace.

I too try to try to get to Printing Press pretty quick.

Thanks for your help and advice.

@consentient: Oh--I'm definitely going to stay at the higher levels and improve.

And I did have a game, where although I didn't get many wonders, I did take quite a few enemy capitals. I was really kicking butt playing as Poland.

I'm doing okay at Emperor level, but I do find it frustrating when every other turn another wonder is built by someone else.

I've practically resigned myself to not even attempting to build them anymore.

Well won my first emp game (4th game in all) but it looks like for now emp is my level... it was fairly close

Korea was close in science until the war- which they started

They actually assembled an invasion fleet- unfortunately the AI seems to have a high degree of military incompetence and marched its carriers right up to my artillery and battleships...and they defended atrociously when i took the capital.

I dont think im ready for immortal yet as i didnt win this by much at all....i have to say im surprised i won at emperor as i dont really know the game yet at all...

As for wonders, i dont even try for the early ones (lighthouse, library etc) but i did focus on getting college up quick and got oxford no problem

I had real trouble taking the capital down btw? not because of korea attacking, but because despite a fleet of battleships pounding it the hp went down a tiny bit each turn

Forbidden Palace is pretty hard to get, even at Emperor because most AIs hit renaissance with Banking (sometimes they go for Gunpowder first). If they went Patronage they will surely build it before you, unless you have a GE waiting for that.

Forbidden Palace is fairly manageable with a good decent starting land on Immortal and below iirc. Well worth it though if you're going Patronage

I can nearly always get Forbidden Palace if open Patronage as my 2nd tree and use Oxford for Banking, because I go straight for Scholasticism and not Consulates. The only exception is if Maria T is in the game. Sometimes she uses a wonderful start to get there a few turns before me.

I also disagree that most AIs hit renaissance through Banking. More go to Acoustics, Printing Press and Gunpowder.

Top Bottom