Music Thread!

Bahmo

King
So what music should be included here? One of my longstanding problems with the core game is that none of the soundtrack it uses for the "modern" era is truly modern music.

I long ago concieved a modern world mod, which would use songs that commented upon the situation of the modern world and its changing values, such as Material Girl, Video Killed the Radio Star, Money for Nothing, and The Message. Though certainly those are all oldies now, they commented on a situation that is still relevent.

The alternate side of the coin, with the US declining in influence and other powers attempting to rise in the vacuum, could be portrayed through the popular music of other countries; bands such as Dragonforce, Nightwish, Reflex, Ska-P, and maybe some Latin American, Chinese, and Japanese bands of which I've never heard.

Copyright is an issue, but back when Second Revolution skirted that, it was one of my favorite mods. Share your thoughts!

I long ago concieved a modern world mod, which would use songs that commented upon the situation of the modern world and its changing values, such as Material Girl, Video Killed the Radio Star, Money for Nothing, and The Message. Though certainly those are all oldies now, they commented on a situation that is still relevent.

That's awesome! I'll think about some songs.

Copyright is an issue, but back when Second Revolution skirted that, it was one of my favorite mods. Share your thoughts!

Hmmm...this might be a hazardous idea but anyway: We could avoid the copyright issue by using something like Last.fm. I can imagine two possibilities doing this. One brilliant with probably a lot of effort, one tentative that could be quite easy.

First thing we need to do is a joint effort to create a "World 2009" tag list in Last.fm with a list of maybe 100 songs. Each of these songs needs to be tagged "Civ World 2009 Mod" by multiple persons.

Then

1. Make it possible to let the Civ game play music from a Last.fm stream. I have no idea if this can be done but the fact that there is a Winamp Mod out there (I saw it in sevomod) makes me positive.

or

2. Tell the player that there is a soundtrack available at Last.fm. That way you have to start the Last.fm application while (or before) you play the game and let it play "Civ World 2009 Mod" tagged music and you'd hear it while you play.

I'll start a list of songs here and will edit it whenever someone has new suggestions:

Madonna - Material Girl
The Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star
Dire Straits - Money for Nothing
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - The Message
Dragonforce - ?
Nightwish - ?
Reflex - ?
Ska-P - ?
Laurent Garnier - Greed
Wir sind Helden - Guten Tag
Wir sind Helden - Müssen nur wollen
Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros - Bhindi Bhagee
Le Tigre - Get off the internet
Fergie - G.L.A.M.O.R.O.U.S.
MGMT - Time to pretend
Britney Spears - Piece of me

Have you thought about the Modern Music from civ 3?

When we choose the music, I'd recommend staying away from some of the "heavier" rock bands (even though I am a fan), like Dragonforce. With some of their music in the background it might get a little distracting.

also, remember, civ caters to people of all ages and social groups.

Goodluck with a very difficult task there chaps.

yes I agree with sheep, really tricky. I hadn't thought about it... personally I keep civ music off and listen to my own in the background.

I will let you folks handle this thankless task. :D

? - The Message

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.

Joecoolyo said:
When we choose the music, I'd recommend staying away from some of the "heavier" rock bands (even though I am a fan), like Dragonforce. With some of their music in the background it might get a little distracting.

Well, nobody really has to listen to the background music. They can always zoom in and hear some national anthems instead.

sheep21 said:
also, remember, civ caters to people of all ages and social groups.

Goodluck with a very difficult task there chaps.

You're right, but trying to keep a soundtrack "clean" in terms of things like language should be none of our concern. The modding scene is made up of teenagers and adults, and with this one, those teenagers and adults, regardless of ideals, know enough about the world to know that it's a gritty, two-faced place.

Ska-P may be a little too political for some, so maybe not them, but most other things I suggested are fair game. Above all else, what I want is music from all over the world, so yes, keeping it politically-agnostic may be tricky. It's still a venture worth pursuing, however.

agreed bahmo, good luck with finding the stuff that works :)

be nice to play civ to ingame music and not whatever i have on media player :p

Have we decided on a track for the Main Theme? I think this could be very powerful:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4_LsGSsgwJc

I found it too on last.fm, though I'm not going to pay for it on iTunes. Still, it's a beautifully epic piece that would be bound to raise the hairs on a back of necks as they enter our Mod. ^_^

I'm not paying for any music on itunes, so if that is how we have to do it, someone else will have to if they want to include music. It's not important enough to me to plunk down money, any funds I have available for this project will end up going to hire a programmer probably. Plus I dislike itunes and don't want to support it in any way.

Maybe we could use free/open source music?

http://www.archive.org/details/The.Good.Times.And.The.Bad

Someone else should be in charge of this. If I have to do it, we are going to end up with a bunch of folk and classical music that no one else likes. ;-)

I'm sure you could find the track without paying for it on iTunes to be honest, but someone must be willing to look for it. I'll ask a 'friend' and see if they can ask the creator for me. :)

I could, ahem, make it "appear", I mah "have" it on my laptop already *wink wink nudge nudge*

hmm, I think it's possible I may have an mp3 or two laying around myself...

{removed}

I own all the albums legally of course. Don't download illegally kids, bad for your health.

7 times the amount of songs that I have lol

actually I should take that down before the MPAA sees it and gets the wrong idea. lol

lol, i think you have made ya point aye.

Don't download illegally kids, bad for your health.

Phooey to that. The media business, whether it be TV, radio, or recordings for either sort of thing, is horribly inefficient, obnoxious, and dated. The sooner they crash and burn, the better. Internet should make conventional media obsolete, much in the same way electricity made kerosene obsolete. The old guard can't stop the tide, so they might as well just stop suing for money and action, and instead, just demand stock in a bunch of media sharing websites/web companies, because that's the only way they'll ultimately survive.

I agree, my comment was less than serious. But it's against the rules to discuss pirating on this board, the last thing this mod needs is for one of us to get banned.

Top Bottom