Xenonauts (The true spiritual successor to X-COM: UFO Defence)

MoonFlare

Prince
Xenonauts is a creative reimagining of the original X-COM. It includes polishing, adding new gameplay mechanics, new aliens, weapons, new setting, balancing, etc... Not dumbing down like Firaxis is doing or turning it into a FPS. This game is in development since 2009 and will be released “when it’s done”. There will be a Kickstarter for it in a few weeks which will include a free demo version of the current build for everyone to try. The game is in late alpha and is playable. Being an X-COM fan for 10 years i can say that this game captures the original atmosphere and does other things right. Pre-ordering it gives access to every single development build of the game and a full version when the game is released.
Some previews and screenshots are available here (including a future UI update):
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/01/xenonauts-preview/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/10/xenonauts-new-look-emerges-from-the-deep/
http://kotaku.com/xenonauts/
There will be more previews before the kickstarter begins. Gaming press will receive the current build in a few days.

If you are tired of failed attempts to recreate X-COM and 2K politics of making games “accessible” you should definitely try it out;)
http://www.xenonauts.com/

Btw. the game is now somewhere in beta and should come out this year or so. It will be interesting to compare Xenonauts to the new Firaxis X-COM and see who's got it better.

I honestly cant see this being much of a success. One of the key reasons of a remake is (I would have thought), to convince developers that there is still a market for these kind of games. I think the apparent success of X-com enemy unknown has already demonstrated this. I might be wrong, and this may prove to be something special. But im a bit suspicious. Most of the arguments ive seen bandied about by people who say Firax’s offering is “dumbded down” are in my view quite obviously and plainly wrong. And these same people are saying this game is going to be amazing. Time will tell I guess.

I think there is room for both game.
I agree with you that Firaxis XCom isn't dumbed down in anyway and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

But I now that there are some people that loved the micromanagement aspect of the original X-Com (control freaks !! :mischief: ) so if Xenonauts is closer than the original I think it can find its public.

One can say with two similar games coming out at the same time one is taking audience away from the other, but one can also say that both direct additional publicity and interest towards each other. I think we shouldn't take part in dumbing down any game but just judge them by how they are. I am also a long time follower of Xenonauts and keen to compare it to the Firaxis game once Xenonauts is really out. It's kind of interesting to see how different people approach the same topic from different angles. Actually there will be even a third approach by the 2kmarin unit.

For gamers this is all good news: more games. :cool:

I like that the graphics are hand drawn 2d graphics, I like it a lot.

I could say they are looking too generic or kinda boring... but, whatever, working 2d graphics of any kind on a videogame is such a rarity today that I applaud it whenever I see it.

On the plus side, the style allows probably for HUGE maps and the animations look pretty amazing.

I've played about an hour or so. Seems pretty good so far. I like the slightly retro setting and some of the streamlining like not having to constantly buy ammo etc and being able to set custom made soldier layouts. My main complaint is that you might have a soldier to the side of a door or something and they wont lean out of cover to be able to make a shot, even Rimworld does this!

Not tried it yet, since $29.99 is extremely pricey for a UFO remake especially when I have the original game on this machine, but the same game review outlets that responded in rather lukewarm fashion to the beta seem to have been converted, which is a promising sign.

I have been watching it too for about a month now. I agree, 30 bucks is a bit pricy.

I have stuck it on my wishlist and will pick it up on steam sale (i was hoping it might be in the summer sale as it was in beta for so long, but no dice). Most retro games by indie developers are a lot cheaper than this title. I recognise the amount of effort thats gone into it, but its about twice the price, so im happy to wait. Its got good reviews though. Just a shade under x com.

Played it a bit last night. There are some aspects of it I like more than the recent XCOM, some aspects I like less.

Pros:

-Turn Units is a more tactically flexible system than just giving every soldier two moves.
-More in depth inventory management.
-Classless system means you could put together some really bizarre and fun equipment kits if you were so inclined.
-Better Geoscape with the ability to set up multiple bases and such.
-Scientist guy looks like Brent Spiner in Independence Day.

Cons:

-Classless system means your soldiers apparently don't get special abilities like they do in XCOM, meaning that your troops are even more generic in this game than they are in XCOM, differentiated only by their stats. A whole barracks full of disposable cannon fodder.
-Cover system is not nearly as user friendly or intuitive as XCOM. Corners are almost useless as cover because your guys can't peek around the edge and take a shot without completely exposing themselves to reaction fire.
-Scientist guy is still not as cool as Dr. Vahlen.

I'll put more time into it in the next few days and maybe it will reveal some nuances that push it over the edge but right now I'd say the two games are pretty close and this game may not be worth it at it's current price tag.

Yeah but xcom eu is over 18 months old and it was 40 or 50 bucks on release. This game will probably be ~15 base price in 18 months and see some 75% off sales along the way. My guess is you'll be able to nab it under 10 pretty soon. I agree with you but only cus I think no game is worth buying brand new over 20 bucks because they discount so quickly, not cus one may or may not be worth it.

A definite buy for me - I've been loosely following it for years. Loved the original X-Com, and was mostly disappointed by the Firaxis reboot. I'm just waiting cause I've got other games I'm happy playing at the moment, and I'm thinking they might still do some tweaking / balancing now that general audiences have their hands on it. And of course hopefully it will go on sale =)

Yeah but xcom eu is over 18 months old and it was 40 or 50 bucks on release. This game will probably be ~15 base price in 18 months and see some 75% off sales along the way. My guess is you'll be able to nab it under 10 pretty soon. I agree with you but only cus I think no game is worth buying brand new over 20 bucks because they discount so quickly, not cus one may or may not be worth it.

That largely depends on the type of game though. Triple A titles (which is what Xcom was) are usually £30-£35 on release. Indie games are anything from £5-£20. About 3-6 months after release on triple A titles you will get 20% or 50% off. Depending largely on how popular something is. After 6 months that goes to 50% - 75%. I kind of agree though that paying full whack for something is generally not the thing to be done. You either pre order and get some freebies (or money off). Or you wait 6 months and get it on a deal. I think when i pre ordered Xcom the freebie was quite good, even though i already owned it - Civ 5. You also got the elite soldier pack and something else which i cant remember.

Top Bottom