Planetary annihilation

luukdeman111

Chieftain
Hey folks!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that most of you probably loved the RTS classic "Total Annihilation".

Well, last Wednesday a project was started on kickstarter called "Planetary Annihilation". If the high goal of $900,000 will be met, the game will be developed by Uber entertainment, a company which includes many people who worked on "Total Annihilation" and "Supreme Commander".

What this game is trying to do, is bring the absolutely epic total annihilation into space. So basically it will be the massive land battles we know and love from Total Annihilation fought out across multiple planets.

It will even be possible to build huge engines on asteroids and drive them into other planets as huge mass destruction weapons...

Personally, as a huge supreme commander fan, I'm incredibly excited about this game and really hope this game gets funded. I'd suggest you watch the promo video on their kickstarter page and then throw your wallet at your screen. I also included a link to a pc gamer interview which gives quite a lot of information about the direction the game is going.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts

http://m.pcgamer.com/2012/08/15/planetary-annihilation-interview

And for those of you who are sold to the game immediately like I was, here's a link to the forums:

http://forums.uberent.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=60

Thnx for checking it out and support it if you like it!

This game looks hilariously awesome. When the planet first came into focus, I thought "huh?" The planet looked like something out of Spore and lo and behold, maps are procedurally generated.

Solar systems are procedurally generated. The music score is also pretty cool and was pleasantly surprised it was discussed in the video. Most players don't play a game for the music, but they do notice when a game has great sounds and scores (Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Civilization IV for starters). The game also looks like it'll run on my computer decently.

I would like to add that the game isn't in development yet so this video only shows what they expect from the game. They did say they were going to stick with that art style but that they would make the planets and units more detailed

Total Annihilation was great but Supreme Commander had such a poor performance. I am skeptical if this game will be any better.
The graphics in the rendered preview look quite crappy (squared rockets really?).
I'll slip this one...

It looks interesting, kind of like something that should have been in a Spore expansion.

@Samez,
SupCom had poor performance because of the AI demands on the system and being demanding on that year's technology.
I don't think it reflects on the game design exactly.

Not to mention each and every projectile was simulated with Newtonian physics. And when you have armies fighting on 81 x 81 km maps...well....

Total Annihilation was great but Supreme Commander had such a poor performance. I am skeptical if this game will be any better.
The graphics in the rendered preview look quite crappy (squared rockets really?).
I'll slip this one...

They are probably making the graphics low polygon like they are in the vid to improve performance since they are aiming to make accurate physical simulations of projectiles and planetary rotation. Add to that, these graphics are quite cheap to make while the supcom graphics really require a high budget.

When I see that art style they're going for, I just think it's going to be SC2 all over again. Then again, I am cautiously optimistic about this one, and I suppose I might as well donate 20$. I did love SC:FA, so might as well support this.

Speaking of SC:FA, the reason it had crappy performance was due to poor coding. The game doesn't utilize multiple cores very well. I still get some lag playing it (I'm running core i5 3570K). One core is almost always at 100% load while others are somewhere around 25% load maybe. Still though, a game that epic is going to be demanding on the processor no matter what.

I wish I had $20 to throw on this. Very impressive that they are at the $1.3 million mark and I'm impressed they are aiming for $1.8 million. What's the average budget of an EA game?

$18-28 million.

$10 million for single-platform games.

Planetary Annihilation (Gamma) is ON SALE thru steam for $16.99(US) and it's over in 15 hours. After that, it goes back to it's regular $49.99. Gonna take a chance and lay down the 'dough'. Wish me luck...:crazyeye:

Just remember, it's a early access. If you want to complain about bugs, just submit a bug report so they can fix it for full release. They are still making the game.

I am still not sure what to think of the game.

I bought the Beta when it was first on discount and I actually like the idea of interplanetary combat, but the scale of the units and buildings feels so wrong that I just cannot get myself immersed in the game.

It is certainly decent for a kickstarter project, but in the end I still prefer Supreme Commander over it. Looks better, plays better, feels better... :(

This game looks awesome (I loved Supreme Commander), but I just don't want to get into it until it is actually released, stable, and balanced. I am generally biased against Early Access titles (KSP is the one exception) so I didn't pick this up on the Summer Sale.

FAF vets (the player driven lobby for SC:FA) are not too impressed I hear. The constant 3D rotation is confusing and it seems relatively limited in terms of unit diversity and use. From a personal view I am just confused that such an experienced developer made a game that uses poorly made models and is such a resource hog.

Top Bottom