New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Thank you for the compliment! All of the races/peoples are player-made, as well as the map. I just compiled it all. I am 2/3 of the way done with the second (of 3 1/2) continent in the write-up style and about the same for stats. All I have to do after that is write a 'summary' of recent events (Update 0?) which (projectedly) won't take long.

What is your favorite of the list races, by the way?

Lycalidk or any kind of ratmen.

We have Swiech, a nutranurse/merciary developped gold-worshipping ratpeople. Not sure if they've a history before those two? I know they were in one of .. someone's NESes. They'll be detailed in the third continent, but will definitely be one of the more fun groups to write about. Their warren-cities are freaking awesome.

Edit:

Swiech are originally from Nutra's NutraNES IV.5 (Fantasy Remastered), IIRC.

We have Swiech, a nutranurse/merciary developped gold-worshipping ratpeople. Not sure if they've a history before those two? I know they were in one of .. someone's NESes. They'll be detailed in the third continent, but will definitely be one of the more fun groups to write about. Their warren-cities are freaking awesome.

Edit:

Like I said, wolfmen or any kind of ratmen. Cuz ratmen are awesome (Majesty 2)

Spoiler Arda :

Arda,
the Cold Continent

Actual Photograph

Arda is a massive enigma. Geographically it has been estranged from its sister continent in the south by a narrow mountainous isthmus and the high-altitude freshwater lakes further south. One of many saving graces for this far-flung land of bleak beauty are its many hot springs which have since time began been focal points for civilization, warmth, food and culture. Also its mountains look like a giant question mark when viewed from above.

It can easily be divided into regions: the North, West, South, East, and Central.

-The north coast of Arda is largely uninhabited. It is made up of dizzying frozen mountain crags and peaks, and permafrost clings to the rockface and ground year-round, while the coldflows from the hub of the world makes the sea a floating ice sheet. On the flatter western half of the shore however lie the Men of the Ice.

-The west coast is cold and flat and dry. Covered mostly by deserts and seasonal pasturage it is home to only the tough wandering Mahaki tribesmen.

-The southern regions are divided in two by the high Krutargg mountains. The western portion is a warm, humid mountainous isthmus populated by the Irilene, the Sephirod and the Krutargg.

The south-eastern region, consisting of the majority of the south coast of Arda, is known collectively as the Tempest Coast, due to its frequent monsoons, seasonal flash-floods and proximity to the Tempest Sea. It is almost sub-tropical in climate and suspect to tremors. It is about evenly populated by Swiech and Quatriut.

-The eastern region is the wide wind-swept grassy plains of the Mahaki tribes. From south to north the population gros sparser, and the temperature gradually goes down.

-The central region is home to both extremes of temperature. In the summer it can become stiflingly hot and bone dry. Likewise, in the harsh winters, it can (and usually does) become bitingly cold. The extreme excess of humidity in the air often (by some strange mechanic of nature) causes immense thunder storms which shower rain that freezes on contact with living flesh, rendering it useless, dead and hard.

The hardy Malkieri dwell here in the pockets of warmth cast by the region's countless hotsprings, drawn in from the cold in the winter and the dehydration in the summer.

---- ****---- ____ ----**** ****---- ____ ---- **** ----

Spoiler Men of the Ice :

An ice man

Ice men are on average 6'0", with slender, powerful figures. They have no hair, nor scales, nor feathers; instead, their colorings come from whatever liquid substance they happened to have been exposed to recently.

Not much is known about the men of the ice. They have never been observed to communicate between eachother, but it is obvious from their actions that individual intelligence and community are given social factors with them.

Military
Ice infantry fight with weapons of ice. It has been observed that if they go too far south or anywhere near a good source of heat, their weapons become permanently affixed to their hands, making them walking killing machines.

Spoiler Malkieri :

A Malkieri soldier engages in combat

Malkieri are big, hardy people. They stand at around 6' generally, have bulky frames (but not overly so), and have a very light complexion. The color of their hair ranges from yellow to brown to black, and sometimes even red. Their eyes range from blue to brown to very rarely green and red.

They wear everything from wools to leathers to furs and cotton. In the summer their garb is more flowing and robe-like, while often in the winter they wear more conservative items that cover all of their exposed skin, wrapped tight and warm.

Natural farmers, made by the weather to bunker down from the cold in the winter, they excel at extracting their lifeblood from the Erth and putting right back in again what they took away. Trade with the desert tribes in the west and south have proven less than fruitful, but the mountainmen of the east have brought much good fortune to the Malkieri people.

Military
Malkieri infantry are generally armed with wooden spears and shorter throwing spears. They are good for raiding.

Malkieri navies consist of large, slow-moving river barges, but not usually anything ocean-going.

Spoiler Mahaki :

A Mahaki without a war-mask

The average Mahaki usually stands at about 5'6". They generally have a darker complexion, black to brown hair, and eyes ranging from blue to black. Males are born with scars all over their body, as if they were the veterans of a thousand battles. The perceived fiercity as well as the strong eyebrows and cheek bones cause most adult males to be menacing indeed. The more violence-prone have even been known to file their teeth into canines and rip the flesh from their enemies in-battle. This is of course a small percentage of the entire population, but often they are drawn to the military anyway.

They wear light clothes such as cottons and exotic silks if they can get it despite the extremity of varying temperatures from day to night, generally claiming not to feel the cold. Wool is worn farther north or during the winters, however, and furs often adorn the ancient and pregnant, as a sign of respect.

Mahaki are wanderers. Herders and raiders, the Mahaki often gather into small clans, which pledge allegiance to larger Tribes. In more recent years the more sedentary have settled down along the rich Maki river, making farming and trading their economic mainstay, but still allegiance is more often than not expected to be owed to the roving warlords of ancient times.

A Spokescouncil is invoked during times of inter-tribe warfare to elect a leader, each tribe has a Kol meaning Chief or King. On rare occasions when a non-Mahako threat is perceived, peace is declared between the Tribes and the spokescouncil is spread to encompass all of the Tribes.

Military
Mahaki infantry are armed with wooden spears and many bows, making them particularly effective on the plains, and very good for raiding.

Spoiler Krutargg :

Dust settles around a Krutargg warrior

Krutargg are towering giants at an average height of 8'7". They have no hair to speak of, and their black to blue to red eyes appear absurdly small compared to their other features. Their stone-like skin absorbs the strength, durability, color and characteristics of whatever mineral they have dieted on recently, allowing any given Krutargg to change his or her appearance radically by just eating different minerals.

They wear no clothing, as they never developped a need for protection against the elements. Some have been known to wear metal armor into battle when it is available, though.

Krutargg have a primal need to consume minerals, just as you or I (presumably) have the most basic of instincts to consume plant or animal flesh. Of course, that is not to say that minerals and stones are the Krutargg's only source of food. Many empty human villages and forests devoid of large animals will tell you otherwise. Krutargg have a negative buoancy, meaning they will sink like.. well, a rock. Pun intended.

Raiders and pillagers, Krutargg have no need for farms save for feeding their livestock of humans and assorted lesser races. But then, the livestock/peasants usually take care of that themselves. Large quarries or mines will tether Krutargg populations to a particular area however, as it serves as a portion of their diet. The weaker Krutargg are driven away from the larger food sources by the stronger Krutargg, causing an anual migration of Krutargg away from viable food sources, however, much to the chagrin of their neighbors.

Military
Krutargg infantry are armed with massive stone axes and hammers. They make amazing shock troops.

Spoiler Sephirod :

A Sephirod woman with her hair down

Sephirod stand at average about 5'6", a breath shorter than their Irilenic cousins in the west. Their complexion is light, while they have brown and black eyes, and rarely deep green. Their hair is usually dark.

They wear the flambouyant silks of the Irilenes, but during the rainy or monsoon seasons they wear leathers and light wools.

The majority of their economy is based from farming and agriculture along the Sephirod river, as it has proven time and again to be a major boon to the region. The maize, wheat and chick peas native to the region can be found in dishes as far away as the Horkin and the Gurks in the south, and easily the Quatriut and Swiech.

Military
Sephirod infantry are generally armed with long wooden spears and the odd well-trained bow, making them good for raiding.

Sephirod navies consist of smaller bastard versions of the Irilene ships, with fewer oars and thinner hulls.

Spoiler Quatriut :

A Quatriut soldier rides to war

The average Quat stands at 5'4", shorter than most save the Swiech. Their complexion is darker than fair and their hair black or golden blonde, with soft blue eyes, soft chins and feminine features. Their soft appearance makes them appear exotic and distantly foreign, and above all desired by non-Quatriut.

They wear colorful silks of green, blues and yellows, and light flowing overgarments during the monsoon season. Often their hair will be well past the shoulders, and in one or multiple braids, depending on local custom.

Quatriut are sea-farers by nature, fishermen and traders all, who live their lives on the sea. Their powerful galleys have reached the distant south and unified cradles, worlds and empires. Recently, however, the poorer Quat will take up farming, learned from their Sephirod neighbors, or the worship of the Wengi from the migrating Swiech.

Military
Quatriut infantry are armed with long wooden spears.

Quatriut navies are well-oiled machines. They are made up of massive oar-driven galleys armed with ramming heads and arrow-slots, and are generally crewed by two hundred or more oarsmen and as many sailors and fighters. Truly unmatched in the world in terms of power and speed.

Another sneak-peak, at the opposite end of the known world.

So I'm guessing you mixing the Orges in with the standard Krutargg population? I know a few Krutargg who won't be pleased with that. :p
Everything looks great so far by the way.

Well it is a good thing I am a god then, because they can't hurt me. I'll mention it, that's a good point. Very vaguely they were mentioned (or so I thought in my head), by the 'lolweak krutargg flee like babbys' thing.

Edit: I'm editing more into my documents on my computer. Do you think they deserve a different spoiler? Mainland, barbarian and normal Swiech are not getting different spoilers, nor are southern or northern Issith.

Ah okay, I always just kept them separate in my head as I saw the Krutargg as a bit more "civilized" since they aren't always in the half starved craze that the Ogres are in. But then again the only thing keeping a Krutargg fro becoming an Orge is the location.

In all honestly they probably don't need their own spoiler, they're just the more barbaric members of the Krutarggs. While the two "ethnic" groups (?) don't get along very well they do still accept that their the same species.

Ahhhhh, huhhhhmmm. I did not realize Arda was the name of Tolkein's world. Perhaps it was subconscious, perhaps it was homage. I just thought Arda had a sort of worn, bleak feel to the name.

Suggestions for name change? The center continent is called Barasia I think. I want it to sound familiar to us earthlings and be more 'home' than the other, strange, non-human continents.

Koislyu is pretty unique (in that a google search literally yielded 2 results, including your NES.), what does it mean in your head, Terrance, and what language would it come from?

edit: Yeah, I decided they would just get more mention in the Krutargg spoiler. They are quite a bit different, if even only by circumstance.

I know, Iggy. Thank you, both of you. I meant, from which language in my fictional world would he want the world to spring from, and meaning what. That's ironic, though, because it's considered one of the widest continents. I may use that, for irony, Lucky.

OK, this is the system by which things work in a fight for the X-COM NES:
  • Fight takes place in a region (FRG)
  • Each soldier has these stats: Nationality (NAT), Strength (STR), Dexterity (DEX), Bravery (BRA), Psi (PSI), Melée Weapon (MW), Ranged Weapon (RW), Psi Weapon (PW) and Health (HT).
  • Each alien has these stats: Threat (TH), Others (OT) and Health (HT).
  • There are 5 rounds in a fight.
  • A soldier's power (POW) is calculated this way:
    POW=(((STR*MW+DEX*RW+PSI*PW)/100+BRA)*(1+0.2*(1 if NAT=FRG, 0 if not)))*HT/100
    As you can see, the power they can draw from their weapons depends on their main stats, their bravery is quite important, if they fight at home they gain a great plus and their health is going to be very important to determine their final power.
  • The humans can use a series of strategies to point out the actual way it is going to be. Humans will be able to use 25 points for those strategies (although, as time passes, more points can be allocated to the strategies). These three are examples:
    Constant Assault: 5/5/5/5/5
    Let 'Em Come: 1/3/5/7/9
    Shock'n'Mop: 9/7/5/3/1
  • The total power the soldiers do in a round is the sum of the powers of all soldiers, plus the points from the strategies, plus a random number between 0 and 100.
  • An alien's power is calculated this way:
    (TH+OT)*HT/100
  • The total power the aliens do in a round is the sum of the powers of all aliens, plus a random number between 0 and 100.

The only thing I have not been able to determine is how exactly I will make the injuries part work. Making it so that only one side was hurt in each round, depending on the power, was quite unfair. One possibility is that, when the results
The way the armors would fit was also a bit complicated. I figure out that it can be done so that, in one fight, the armor will protect the person's health up to a certain point (i.e: having extra health, but not counting towards the calculation).

Suggestions are welcome.

Hey all. So I'm currently working on a combat system based heavily on that employed in Daftpanzer's ZPNESV: Flowers on the Razor Wire. Thlayli was talking about how an NES like this would be fun, and upon perusing it myself I decided it was something I could probably mod, since it is essentially a board game and wouldn't rely on my good judgment to avoid stupidity. Anyway, on Thlayli's urgings I immediately set about preliminary development, which led me to reworking the combat system.

Long story short, Daftpanzer uses a 1-on-1 combat system whereby each "unit" in an army chooses another unit in the opposing army to "fight." They trade blows, compare armor to get hits, and the loser bites the dust.

As cool as that is, I severely doubt in my ability to have the stamina to work out combats for dozens of units across half a dozen armies in just as many battles without being bored, or coming to dread the update process. So I'm rebuilding the combat system to involve two gestalt "armies" fighting one another, fighting a battle across several "heats," and distributing casualties based on the toughness of individual units and probability. Best of all, this method would only require me to punch numbers into a program that I designed, and watch as it automates the battle for me.

It's still very much a work in progress but I am confident that this approach will bear fruit. A sneak preview of a battle worked out by the system (fought in three heats):

Spoiler :
Code:
Enter the army name for attacking team: Germany

Enter the army name for defending team: USSR

ENTER Germany ARMY
Army matrices are: [MISATEA]

ENTER USSR ARMY
Army matrices are: [MISATEA]

Enter the scale of the battle: 3

Germany ARMY:
4 Infantry
3 Stormtroopers
1 Armored Cars
2 Light Tanks
3 Medium Tanks
2 Artillery

USSR ARMY:
5 Militia
4 Infantry
2 Stormtroopers
1 Armored Cars
2 Light Tanks
1 Medium Tanks
2 Artillery

HEAT 1

1 Germany Medium Tanks toughs it out.
1 Germany Infantry killed.
1 USSR Artillery killed.
1 USSR Armored Cars killed.
1 Germany Stormtroopers killed.
1 USSR Stormtroopers killed.
1 Germany Artillery killed.
1 USSR Militia killed.
1 Germany Armored Cars killed.
1 USSR Medium Tanks killed.
1 Germany Medium Tanks killed.
1 USSR Stormtroopers killed.

HEAT 2

1 USSR Artillery avoids attack.
1 USSR Militia killed.
1 Germany Artillery avoids attack.
1 Germany Light Tanks killed.
1 USSR Militia killed.
1 USSR Infantry killed.
1 Germany Stormtroopers toughs it out.
1 Germany Light Tanks toughs it out.
1 Germany Stormtroopers killed.
1 USSR Militia killed.

HEAT 3

1 USSR Light Tanks killed.
1 Germany Infantry killed.
1 USSR Militia killed.
1 USSR Artillery avoids attack.
1 USSR Artillery killed.

RESULTS:

Germany ARMY:
2 Infantry
1 Stormtroopers
1 Light Tanks
2 Medium Tanks
1 Artillery

USSR ARMY:
3 Infantry
1 Light Tanks

Anyway, if this entire idea turns out to be very flawed or otherwise stupid and imbalanced (I'm not afraid of black box syndrome though as I intend to publicize every upwards-facing numerical aspect of the rules) then I'll ditch it and use only a lightly-modified version of Daftpanzer's rules (with automation where I can fit it in ;)). Either way, I am very interested in this project and aspire to start a ZPNESV clone within a time frame that's not stupid.

I am expressing a lot of interest in this. It looks awesome. Would like more details about how the program works obviously.

Are you doing earth map or taking Iggy's offer for a random map?

Also, are you confident in manipulating the sprite graphics or do you need Daft's assistance for that?

Top Bottom