Some Modern Units ( Infantries and Riflemen )

I second phungus420's request. Low poly count and texture size is absolutely necessary. I myself have done and am doing things like lowering texture size and removing unnecessary meshes in models, triangulating, etc. But the preferred method would be to already have them like this by the unit maker.

Also, as a bonus, can you please get rid of the unnecessary textures cluttering up the unit dirs? Those are really annoying, use up disk space, bandwidth when downloading (especially in a bigger mod this can easily add up), and it's just not in line with the quality of the units you are producing?

Thanks.

This is why LoR hast the best performance of any expansion style mod; all unit models have decent polycounts and texture sizes. I believe Avain and achilleszero were working on applying the same standards to VD as well, though it'll still have some extreme polycount models due to the Ethnic City Styles component (the main reason I can't update that component is I know it doesn't maintain performance standards).

You should really take a look at LoR's art, it's unmatched in performance for any mod of it's type. Also I believe the Blood and Iron mod are strict about their unit art as well, though it's not the same type of mod.

Anyway I have to be a stickler about this, because I believe performance is important. There are probably 1000s of users out there that have fired up one of the various more popular expansion mods, had their game crash or lagg out, and given up on mods because of it. LoR must perform at the highest level possible so this does not occur to new users that try it.

Currently I am very interested in unit art for infantry, as I need to have a different look for early infantry and cold war era infantry that flank an APC unit; currently they look the same and this may be confusing. While there may be plenty of art out there that looks good, there isn't much out there that also will perform well, and so this is why I ask. So please let me know if you get any Infantry art done with low texture sizes (and polycounts if you include a model), and I'll definitely add it, as your work certainly looks great.

About units polycount, I can't do nothing since I'm not yet 3D involved. I understand the polycount problem but I won't talk about too much since my knowledge is sooo noob about 3D ...

About Textures : I fully agree about performance. Textures larger than 256 are unecessary. But EVERY modern unit in 128 I saw around is not great. They are fine, surely easier to play for everybody since everyboy don't have huge computing ressources ( including me ) but not great. In one way, it's easier to get a beautiful ancient/medieval/renaissance unit with 128 textures than a modern one.

Modern units are better in 256. It's obvious to me.

I fully understand you could disagree but to me, 256 texture is most of time the better way for a better unit.

It's just a matter of perspective. My wish is a balance between gameplay and graphics, everything with ethnic differences. But I dislike ( and I'm surely not the only one ) playing with units without any good graphic details ( faces, shoes, for example )

A helmet or a gun is not enough to me to create distinctions among units. My perspective is not only for now to replace a M16 with an AK47. My perspective for example is to create as real as possible WW2 German units who seem as real German units. Not only with a gun and/or helmet but too with decent skins, uniforms, colors, etc ... which fit my goal.

So, yes, it coasts something to get better units. Because it always coasts something.

The better example I could point are seZereth WW1 units. These units are simply F A N T A S T I C ... but ... the polycount is so low than some details are becoming unpracticable. Faces, feet ... Just a few more polycounts and a 256 texture could have render these units legendary ones :goodjob:

No offense at all ! :)

Computing ressources are not going to a downgrade level. Each year, we have better computers, with better graphics, and larger capacities. So, maybe it's not worse to adjust unit graphic works for mods on this way ??? I see how easy for me to say such things since I'm not an "old" CFC member and so, I didn't have to fight between graphics, computing ressources, Civilization 4 gameplay, etc for years.

So, indulge me :lol:

As modest modder myself, my goal is the same than yours but I don't feel we always have to sacrify the graphic parts.

Thanks so much for your reviews ! :D

Computing ressources are not going to a downgrade level. Each year, we have better computers, with better graphics, and larger capacities. So, maybe it's not worse to adjust unit graphic works for mods on this way ???

AFAIK there's still a problem with the engine of the game, after a certain memory usage it causes problems...

...but nevertheless, please remove the not needed textures.

Thanks.

AFAIK there's still a problem with the engine of the game, after a certain memory usage it causes problems...

Thanks.

I'm not sure the MAF exists on Mac, at least I've never seen one. Possibly the only advantage we get over the Windows version heh. CoffeeJunkie is a Mac modder like me so he's probably not aware of it, I only found out recently myself.

I agree that 256x256 textures are good when used sparingly, anything larger than that is completely unnecessary though. Removing unused textures is a must however.

I'm not sure the MAF exists on Mac, at least I've never seen one.

Oh, that sounds nice! Did you try it with mods that have over 600 Mb FPK files? ( BTW, what is the memory of your video card?)

Thanks.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah ... you are right. I already posted something about in few posts below : I have to clean up my files and remove the unused dds :D

Going to be a better student ;)

My video card is 256 mb

Oh, that sounds nice! Did you try it with mods that have over 600 Mb FPK files? ( BTW, what is the memory of your video card?)

Yep, one of the earlier playtests for Diplomacy II had a single FPK over a 1GB in size, never saw anything resembling an MAF with that (or with VD btw). I have 128MB on my graphics card.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hilarious fellows ...

In the pipes of the next update of EMM, more modern units as tanks, ships, this kind of stuff ... Not much for beginning. I currently re-write the mod in a modular way ( I have to because of the number of units ... )

Any advice is welcome ! ;)

And the files havebeen all cleaned now :D

It would seem that the modern set of Ottoman units is missing the cavalry? :)

Top Bottom