SGOTM 13 - One Short Straw

In a test game, I just found out that that a naval unit can NOT enter a fort in unclaimed territory. This is strange because I vaguely recall doing this in SGOTM-11 to get our 4 great people to the fur tile near the end of the game. I guess it's possible that said tile was within our borders... checking... the tile was within our borders. So I guess the pig canal is not possible unless I'm doing something wrong.
Well, it is possible to BUILD a Fort in neutral territory. However, I have confirmed that a Galleon is unable to ENTER a Fort in neutral territory.

Hence, we need to know the algorithm for City Revolt time upon City capture.

Well, I did some testing, and here's what I see (at least for game settings similar to our own--I just World Built a ton of Macemen and they did surprisingly well unsupported by Trebs against Axemen and Archers, but I digress):
1. Upon capturing a City, the population will be reduced by 1 point
2. The City Revolt time seems to be purely dependent upon how many people are in the City that are left alive. So, basically, whatever the City Size of the City is when you attack it, minus 1
3. If population points are whipped away shortly before a City is captured, then those whipped population points do not count, which supports what I said in point 2.
4. Here is a chart of the City Sizes (after that 1 population point from capturing the City has been removed--which, of course, is not removed if the City is already at Size 1, followed by the number of turns of City revolt):
City Size after being captured: City Revolt Time
1: 3
2: 4
3: 4
4: 5
5: 5
6: 6
7: 6
8: 7
9: 7
10: 8
11: 8
12: 9
13: 9
14: 10

The Hage is Size 10. Assuming that it is not whipped over the next couple of turns, then we would look at the above chart for "9" and would see that The Hague would be in revolt for 7 turns.

It is possible that this number will be brought down to 6 turns if Willem executes a 2-pop-whip, which would bring the City Size down to Size 8 and thus the final capture value being Size 7, which, in the chart above, gives 6 turns of revolt.

So, our upper limit is 7 turns after The Hague is captured. Again, this fact supports bringing all 3 Trebs and both Macemen from 1S of Utrecht to The Hague, if we plan to go with the Fort approach, so as to be able to capture The Hague ASAP.

Incidentally, it should be noted that doing so DOES NOT adversely affect the northern Galleon plan, since neither of the 2 Galleons that can pick up troops would be able to make it to the northern passage in time. However, these 2 Galleons only have 0 and 1 movement points remaining, so the troops 1S of Utrecht would have to use the Roads to load onto these Galleons on the current turn, rather than walking into Utrecht and waiting for the Galleons to arrive.

Feasibly, with a bit of luck, we can capture the City 2 turns from now, since we'll have 4 Trebs and 4 Macemen landing in 1 turn from now, but if there are enough defenders to stop 4 Macemen, then a more realistic figure is capturing the City 3 turns from now.

So, that puts the Fort approach being ready to sail through to Moscow on T + 10 at the latest. Sailing to Moscow would take 1 turn to "almost" arrive there, so we'd land on the shores of Moscow on T + 11 at the latest.

In the "ideal" case, Willem will feel threatened by our units and will 2-pop-whip. He will have 2 chances to do so. If he does so, then we can take 1 turn off of that final total. Also, ideally, Willem will only have 4 City defenders and our Macemen will not lose, which would remove yet another turn off of that final total.

So, a realistic timing of when we can land troops beside Moscow is T + 11, with a best-possible case timing of T + 9.

I use Low Graphics Settings, so I can't conclusively see which squares around the northern continent really are Coastal or not... do we have someone who can conclusively say that we have a northern passage? If yes, then how many turns will it take for the furthest of the 3 (or 4) Galleons (none of which have movement points remaining on this turn, so the earliest that they could move is on T + 1) to arrive next to The Hague in time to be able to pick up troops, then spend 1 more turn before the troops can unload at Moscow?

Well, I took a look, and, assuming that all of the land has been uncovered up there and that we already see the edges of Coasts (I cannot tell, so do not trust this number as being any more than a minimum--it is possible that the amount of turns is higher than this value), but making that assumption that we have uncovered all land but not all of the Coast squares next to said land, then I count troops landing next to Moscow on T + 7 from a possible of up to 4 Galleons.

So, that's a maximum 4 turn difference.

What's not included in that difference are:
- How long it will take to get additional troops whipped from Willem's Cities
- What we could be otherwise doing with those Galleons for those 6 turns of travel (don't forget that the current turn's movement is used up, so 7 turns really means 6 turns of travel)
- Whether we will have enough troops that don't die to Willem's Cities and that won't be needed to garrison Willem's Cities to prevent unnecessary population loss

Given these unknowns, given that I'd rather simultaneously attack Moscow and St. Petersburg, given the 6 turns of our Galleons literally doing nothing, and given the fact that we have to decide NOW whether to commit 3 or 4 Galleons, I find myself still in the "Fort the Pig" camp.

However, if we do go for the northern passage, then I am 100% to commiting 4 Galleons to the task. Preferably, we'll have enough troops (I don't believe that 9 will be sufficient) to take down Moscow on the turn after we land--I'd feel more comfortable with about 11 troops.

Note that that 4 turns of difference can potentially be shrunk by up to 2 turns if we get lucky at The Hague. That 4 turns of difference is probably otherwise accurate, but I'm not 100% positive about the distinctions between the Coast and land squares in the north under the hidden squares.

@ shyuhe - If the canal is possible, I don't think we can do the combination of sorts because the galleons will need to be used to galleon chain the workers to The Hague and cannot set sail right away around the north end of the continent.
I agree that a "combination" is out.
EDIT:
---
I think that I might have misunderstood the "combination" plan. What I mean is that if we're going to sail to the north, then we need to forget about building a Fort with our initial 2 Workers.

Nothing stops us from sending 1 Galleon to the north, as shyuhe seems to have been proposing, if we plan to build the Fort. However, that Galleon will probably have to arrive on T + 8 or later, since we don't want to risk delaying our Workers arriving to build a Fort.
---

If we're going to sail via the northern passage (which I really hope is a passage--it looks like it but I'm not 100% certain), spending even 1 more turn with our Galleons doing things other than spending 6 more turns sailing around the north will simply cut down the maximum difference of 4 turns between the two plans to the point that we will have basically decided on the "Fort the Pig" approach being for certain the way to go.

Therefore, if we're going around the north, we need to focus our Galleons on getting there ASAP.

We should not discount the value of being able to use the intervening time (6 turns' worth of Galleon movement, plus up to as many as 2 more turns before our Galleons need to get into position, depending upon the capturing time and City Size of The Hague) to finish off Willem and possibly take down one of Ragnar's Cities--meaning Ragnar expanding less, us getting +1 Happiness, us getting access to War Elephants after a trade with Vicky, and meaning being able to leave very few, if any City garrison units in Willem's Cities when we go to attack Cathy, due to the restored Happiness from not having Motherland Unhappiness.

It seems very realistic to be able to minimally take down Willem's last City within these 6 extra turns, which still gives us time to get our Galleons and units into position to go through the Fort and to simultaneously assault St. Petersburg. Ragnar's City may not fall in time, depending upon how lucky we get at The Hague, but if our luck fails us there, we'll have 2 extra turns to work with, which we might as well spend on capturing Ragnar's Ivory City.

War Elephants are cheaper than Macemen--90 Hammers for a War Elephant versus 105 Hammers for a Maceman--which is a worthwhile fact to capitalize on.

"Well, War Elephants don't have City Raider promotions!"

While that fact is true, we do plan to upgrade some Macemen to Combat I anyway, so War Elephants would really be no different in this regard.

"Well, Pikemen would hurt Elephants."

Yes, but I'd be more afraid of Castles than Pikemen.

"Still, I love City Raider promotions."

Okay, but there are Cities that won't have a Barracks, where we also probably won't have a lot of Hammers. We'd get either a non-City-Raider 0-Experience-Point Maceman or a War Elephant. The War Elephant would come cheaper, which means that over time, we could build slightly more units (90 to 105 Hammers gives a 6 to 7 ratio--7 War Elephants in place of every 6 Macemen--probably not a bit enough ratio to get very excited about, but it might mean the difference between being able to whip or not whip one more useful Military Unit out of some of our Cities, say, using overflow Hammers and a final 1-pop-whip in captured Cities that are down to Size 3, which IS a difference that could matter multiple times over).

"Yeah, but Macemen are cool."

Yes, they are, but they don't do nearly as well when Crossbowmen are involved.

"Okay, War Elephants are cool, too."

The real question in my mind for the northern passage approach is not:
1. How soon can we get there? (although if it turns out to be longer than I estimated, that approach gets worse)

It is also not:
2. Should we take 3 or 4 Galleons (we can fight about it, but if we're going to commit to this approach, let's be certain that it will work and bring 4 Galleons--another one can always be whipped elsewhere if we need it, but if we end up being short on Galleons in the north, there will be no way to recover, as we won't have the Workers shipped next to The Hague, so there won't be a Fort for a long time)

But it is:
3. If we do not capture Willem's last City (which we will not do if we send 3 or 4 Galleons via the northern passage, since we won't have time to make the attack work and still get to St. Petersburg in time) and are thereby forced to garrison our captured Cities with troops, while also only having minimum time to whip troops from Willem's Cities (at most 2 additional units by the looks of it, but it is questionable as to whether these units can actually make it to the Galleons for the initial assault in time) can we actually have sufficient troops to assault both Moscow and St. Petersburg at once?

I'm a bit dubious here,particularly since:
a) We have to break up our Galleon chain and use the "back" of the Galleon chain to sail around to the north, meaning that new troops whipped in our core Cities won't arrive in time
b) We essentially waste the power of our Galleons while they sail around, but then we are forced into tight timing of when to attack, so we can't kill off Willem and will lose troops to City garrisons--we won't even be able to ship in Warriors since our Galleon chain will be used up by sailing it all to the north
c) With the tight timing of when we'd need to attack Moscow in order for the "sailing to the north" approach to be worthwhile, I don't see us being able to get enough troops out of Willem's Cities (and we won't be getting any from our core Cities, as stated in point a) above), such that we will have insufficient troops to take down both Moscow and St. Petersburg before at least one of them builds a dreaded Castle

A Castle being built actually drags the war out by several turns, which in my mind, negates the turns "saved" by attacking sooner via sailing around to the north.

Northern galleon plan:
Why don't we send 3 boats on the northern route and keep 3 boats in the south? We can hold off on invading Moscow until T+9/10 anyways while we prepare for St. Pete.

I don't think any of our current plans calls for a shipment of troops from our core to the Dutch/Russian front. We don't have any spare troops to ship over and we don't have the cash to upgrade warriors --> maces. So the start of our Russian war will basically be everything over in that area right now (minus whatever casualties). Amsterdam will be out of revolt and can whip 2 units to garrison 2 out of the 4 cities. Rotterdam doesn't need a garrison before it comes out of revolt because it fog busts all nearby tiles and Hague will have staging troops so that city doesn't need barb fog busting either.

There is a northern passage in the fog, as you can see the coast along the entire peninsula.

We can't send 4 galleons north since that only leaves 2 in the south (unless we yank one from our core but that slows our eastern front). I think we have 16 units in the west right now.

Promotions:
I don't see why everyone wants to put combat promotions on maces since they're better with CR (except for stack defense and against really bad battle odds).

Also, isn't a GG only 20 XP? That's 4 CR3 maces at best, not 5, as all of the troops coming out of the core will either have 3 or 0 XP. Our western front already has CR2 maces and since we'll be suiciding trebs, we'll want faster heals on our withdrawing trebs/maces against Cathy.

Elephants:
Also, the 2 pop whip math on elephants is pretty bad as every other whip will have too much overflow for a 2 pop whip. In addition, mace vs. axe is a much better match-up than elephant vs. spear. I'm mostly advocating the philo trade so that we can get cash and send Vicky off to build AW (small chance but possible).

Northern galleon plan:
Why don't we send 3 boats on the northern route and keep 3 boats in the south? We can hold off on invading Moscow until T+9/10 anyways while we prepare for St. Pete.
I'm not sure why we would commmit our boats this way and then delay the attack. To me, the only real attractiveness of sailing Galleons to the north is that we can strike at Moscow faster. If we delay the attack on Moscow, then it seems rather silly to sail our Galleons out of position where they can't be used in the meantime.

What's worse is that if we find that 3 boats' worth of troops will not be sufficient numbers to capture Moscow before a Castle can be whipped, then the entire plan was a wasted effort, as we won't be capturing the City any faster, due to taking the City slower thanks to having to deal with a Castle, thanks to having insufficient troops on hand to capture the City quickly. So, I really think that we should plan to commit 4 Galleons to the task for a northern passage approach.

There is a northern passage in the fog, as you can see the coast along the entire peninsula.
Thanks for confirming that fact.

We can't send 4 galleons north since that only leaves 2 in the south (unless we yank one from our core but that slows our eastern front).
Which slows our game down more? Being short one Galleon and dragging out the war against Cathy, which means having to invest more production? Or commmitting the 7th Galleon to the west and having to build new Galleons for any further fronts?

As far as I am concerned, with either the "Fort the Pig" or the "northern passage" approach, we should be planning on using all 7 Galleons in the first turn of war assaulting Cathy.

Promotions:
I don't see why everyone wants to put combat promotions on maces since they're better with CR (except for stack defense and against really bad battle odds).
It's the new Forum Wisdom.

I just checked several scenarios against Longbowmen, Archers, Axemen, and Swordsmen defenders against different levels of defence (including Hill Cities and Walls but I admit that I did not look at Castles, since we are hoping to avoid Castles and since the AIs hadn't built any in the test game). In most cases, there is less than a 0.5% difference in terms of the effects of the promotions, and only in one case did I see the difference greater than 1% but still less than 2%.

Some AIs do not seem to attack our fully-healthy units (at least Willem didn't, since he does not build AI_COUNTER units), but AIs like Isabella LOVE to attack stacks with counter units.

We basically attacked the "softy" AI and got away with it, but expect Cats to storm our stacks when we invade other AIs' lands. With such a little difference in the values of the promotions, it makes good sense to take promos up the Combat line. Also, you worry less about that Maceman that survived with 4.7 Health if it has Combat II than if it has City Raider II.

City Raider III gives a big jump, just like Drill III and Drill IV give big jumps over the first two Drill promotions, so it is nice to get some Macemen with City Raider III.

On the whole, though, while "getting there," Combat I and Combat II are just about as good to be roughly equal in most cases on attack, but can also be used outside of Cities (if required) and on defence (either defending a stack or defending from a counter-attack on a captured City).

Then there's the option of going Combat I -> Cover or Combat I -> Shock, if the situation calls for it, which gives you almost identical odds against the right unit type as does City Raider II but also works in the field and on defence.

In fact, sometimes you WANT to switch which unit gets attacked. For example, I seem to recall seeing Catapults not getting Collateral Damage (although I play mostly XOTM games so I forget if that's a BtS, Vanilla, or Warlords thing), but if you have a wounded Archer/Longbowman that becomes the top defender but you actually want to use your unit to attack the fully-healthy Catapult, then you might intentionally promote your unit with Cover (Anti-Archery) so that the Catapult will come up as a defender. This case doesn't come up very often, but I've used this kind of thing to my advantage before.

Also, isn't a GG only 20 XP? That's 4 CR3 maces at best, not 5
For the Charismatic Trait, Promotions go:
2, 4, 8, 13, and 20.

City Raider III requires only 8 Experience point per unit.

If we upgrade units that have 4 Experience Points or more each (Barracks-created units plus 1 successful win), they require only 4 Experience points each.

20 Experience Points total / 4 Experience Points per unit = 5 units

Those 5 units could be either Macemen or Trebuchets, but I'd prefer Macemen simply because the first couple of attacking Trebs will face poor odds regardless of how many promotions they have, while later Trebs will likely withdraw no matter how many promotions they have.

City Raider III on Macemen DOES have a pretty decent impact on their survival rate.

In addition, mace vs. axe is a much better match-up than elephant vs. spear.
While true, we will face far less Pikemen than we will Axemen.

In fact, as was alluded to in the "conversation" above, Castles are far more scarier than Pikemen and we won't face either if an AI does not have Engineering.

Also, if we build at least ONE mounted unit somewhere, then we could just simply build that one and the AIs will build a ton more Spearmen than they will if we have 0 mounted units. They cheat. So, we can use this fact against them and build a minimal amount of mounted units just to trick them into building fodder units for our Macemen.

I'm mostly advocating the philo trade so that we can get cash and send Vicky off to build AW (small chance but possible).
I'm also not suggesting that we build a huge army of War Elephants, but I was showing how in a couple of situations, they would be equivalent to building a Maceman but would cost less Hammers.

In particular, if we're sending out our Galleons and "leaving" an area, we might have time to whip one more War Elephant but not one more Maceman. If that situation doesn't arise, then no worries--we do not LOSE anything by NOT building a War Elephant, but if that situation does arise, then we'll have a cheaper alternative to a Maceman that is actually really good at cracking a Crossbowman top defender when there are no Longbowmen involved.

It also resets whatever little WW we've accumulated so far, especially if we were to sink his ships.
Is there really a distinction in the War Weariness algorithm that says:
"If a Cease Fire was declared, do X, but if Peace was declared, do Y"?

Well, I ran a test game to check.

Apparently, there is no difference.

With a Cease Fire, we went from 172 War Weariness down to:

With a Peace Treaty, the War Weariness lost was identical.

So, there is no functional difference between a Cease Fire or a Peace Treaty in terms of War Weariness.

Note that the above numbers seem to imply that we will lose 3.5 War Weariness per turn when not fighting a war (whether it is via a Cease Fire or a Peace Treaty).

For your info, the real game shows 63 War Weariness with Willem and 0 War Weariness with Ragnar.

William Campaign
T0: Move 3 trebs and 2 maces south of Utrecht onto galleons.
T+1: Drop off 4 maces + 4 trebs on The Hague’s pig resource.
I prefer to attack Rotterdam this turn, but since the war with Willem won’t be done until The Hague is taken at the soonest, I’ll use both trebs (neither of which are wounded even though it has been said multiple times) to bombard this turn and just hope that Willem doesn’t whip a pop or 2 away.
T+2Attack Rotterdam (C1 axe + 2 archers) -> Give final mace C1 promotion with the plan of giving him a medic promotion next.
As for Rotterdam:
Haha, oops! You're right, both Trebs there are fully healthy. However, the City does not have a Wall, which means that Bombarding will remove 16 City Defences per Bombardment. 3 Bombardments (over the course of 2 turns) = 3 * 16 = 48, while the City only has 40, so 3 Bombardments will bring it down to 0% Cultural Defences.

If a City Wall is whipped and completed after we have bombarded for 1 turn, then we will instead see:
40 - (2 * 16) = 40 - 32 = 8, which would then be increased to 10 after the City Wall comes into existence. Bombarding one more time after a City Wall appears would take away 8 from the City Defences, so it's probably still worth it to Bombard with one of the Trebs on the second turn if a City Wall appears, then attack the City with a 2% Cultural Defence remaining using the other Treb.

Also, Maceman 7 should take the City Raider II promotion, so that it will Heal from the promotion and then Heal a tiny bit extra from having skipped its T + 1 turn. Note that although neither Treb is wounded, 2 of the 4 Macemen are wounded, while the City has 3 defenders, so we're probably wise to spend a full turn on Bombarding and then waiting to attack, rather than being forced to attack against higher Cultural Defences with 1 wounded Maceman (and 2 wounded Macemen if one of the 3 Macemen dies)--since Trebs can't kill units.

Given that the Trebs can remove so many Cultural Defences without a City Wall being there, let's Bombard. Of course, if a City Wall appears NEXT TURN, then we'll probably want to discuss the issue before attacking or Bombarding.

Start bombarding The Hague. Load additional units from Utrecht into galleon to be dropped off at The Hague on T+3 if needed. Composition of units will depend on what is in The Hague.
I'm confused. Which additional units would those be? If we're loading all 3 of the Trebs and all 2 of the Macemen that are 1S of Utrecht into Galleons on T + 0, the only ground troop that will remain in Utrecht will be a Maceman. If you wanted to bring that Maceman into the war, it would be better off walking across the land instead of loading-up into a Galleon, since it would take the same number of turns to arrive at The Hague but would be able to block the Road between the Cities, to avoid Willem being able to recapture an empty Utrecht.

Are there some other land-based troops somewhere that I'm not seeing that could be used?

We already have one galleon (Galleon 6) and 1 treb.
I may be in a minority here, but I'd rather have that Treb see action against Cathy. If we go with the "Fort the Pig" approach, this Galleon will pick up 2 Workers anyway, so it can't hurt to Galleon-chain the Treb to the front lines at the same time as Galleon-chaining the 2 Workers.

I'd rather have slightly too many units than not enough, but I fear that we are not yet at the "enough units" level, let alone at the "slightly too many units" level in the west.

Decide what to do with GG after we have him, but I’m leaning toward promoting 5 maces built in our core to CRIII for our eastern war front.
If we go with this plan, try to count Macemen so that we have enough of them promoted to City Raider II (but not too many more than that--Combat I dudes are about as good as City Raider I dudes and we'll at least want some Combat I dudes for at least a minimum amount of stack defence).

"Why would we even care about stack defence?" you might ask. Well, here's how the game works:
If you have a City Raider III unit and a Citiy Raider I unit as your top defenders (since they are both healthy and you have zero Combat I units in your stack), then guess which one the game picks to defend? NOT the City Raider I unit! Indeed, it picks the City Raider III unit. Yes, your unit may SURVIVE, but then it is wounded and it isn't really all that useful for attacking the City with good odds on the following turn. To counteract this effect, especially since we are limited on the number of Macemen that we have, we should be promoting up the Combat line for all but 5 of our Macemen (until we have a larger army of Macemen).

If we plan to go with Medic III for our Great General, then we should get even more Combat-line Macemen for now, to help in guarding our City Raider II units and single City Raider III unit that we will get alongside the Medic III unit.

The eastern front is going to go up against mostly archers so the CR3 will be a bit overkill. I'd rather have a medic 3 in the west.
Well, I was honestly expectingn that we'd use the CR3 Maces in the west.

We need troops that have at least 4 Experience Points for it to be effective, which means the troops at Willem right now.

City Raider III WOULD be very effective against Cathy's Longbowmen, which was the whole point of taking these promotions.

If we use the northern passage for our Galleons, we'll be hard-pressed to get a Great General (that may spawn anywhere) to the west in time to help with the Cathy war, REGARDLESS of whether it is a Medic III + 1 City Raider III versus 5 City Raider III units versus 4 City Raider III plus 1 City Raider II and 30% Retreat combination.

I agree that Macemen III against Archers will be overkill, and I also agree that Medic III in the east will be overkill (not to mention hard to use since we're unlikely to have 1 big stack). So, I'd really like us to get that Great General to the west.

Check Paris's current build to make sure bureaucracy doesn't turn it into a 1 pop whip.
Indeed, we'll need to micromanage Paris a lot once Bureaucracy comes in. Likely, we'll spend 1 turn investing Hammers into a Trebuchet (or, if a Treb is already partially being built, carefully into a Maceman to ensure that we won't make more than 14 final Hammers in a single turn). After that 1 turn, we'll need to switch to a build item that will get manually built until it is time to whip the unit that has 1 turn worth of Hammers invested into it.

It does make sense to wait until after Bureaucracy comes in before whipping, otherwise we should just forget about revolting. Bureaucracy is already going to be an investment and it will take longer to pay off if we whip 1 more time just before switching into that Civic.

Paris makes:
City Center = 2 Hammers
Up to 6 Hammers from 2 Grassland Hills Mines
Up to 2 Hammers from an Engineer Specialist
which totals as much as 8 base Hammers. With Bureaucracy (plus a Forge plus Police State), that makes 16 final Hammers, meaning that we can't work all of those squares/Specialists when building a Maceman under Bureaucracy, as then we'd have 105 - 16 = 89 Hammers remaining in the Maceman, making it a 1-pop-whip.

Note that I just ran some tests for you to confirm the math:
a) 14 Hammers invested in a Maceman in Paris (91 Hammers needed to complete it) = 2-pop-whip
b) 16 Hammers invested in a Maceman in Paris (89 Hammers needed to complete it) = 1-pop-whip
c) 15 Hammers invested in a Maceman in Paris (90 Hammers needed to complete it) = 1-pop-whip (even though you'll have a tough time getting odd values of Hammers when your Hammer bonus is 100%)

So, be sure that you need 91 or more Hammers to complete a build item in Paris in order to keep it as a 2-pop-whip.

If Willem whips a new defender on T+1 in Rotterdam, we should go ahead and attack on that turn since it's very likely that he'll add another defender on T+2 (by whip or overflow).
What does "attack" mean, though? Bombard with 0, 1, or 2 Trebs?

Besides, if a new defender appears in Rotterdam (darn that dirty rotter!), we will have 4 Macemen, 2 of them wounded, to kill 4 defenders. We'll need 100% wins in order to capture the City and we'll either be facing units that have not been collaterally damaged or else have a higher City Defence from having skipped the Bombarding.

If we lose 1 battle, then for certain Willem will rush an emergency defender. With 3 defenders, he may feel safe enough to ignore us, and the same could be said if has 4 defenders, but you can bet that he'll perform an emergency whip if he's down to 1 surviving unit.

I'd be prepared to wait a turn if he created a 4th unit, even if it meant facing 5 units, since we're unlikely to take the City on T + 1 if it has 4 units in it anyway, so we might as well fight him when we can use a combination of City Bombarding plus collateral damage (i.e. attacking on T + 2 or even T + 3) to bring the odds solidly in our favour.

Even with just 3 units still in Rotterdam on T + 1, I still prefer to spend 1 turn Bombarding and Healing our 2 wounded Macemen, attacking on T + 2. I say so now that we've figured out how Bombarding works--it will be quite effective before the City Walls go up, so I say "let's do it."

1 lost Treb will not be replaceable with a 2-pop-whip in a non-Forge City: 90 Hammers * 1.25 = 112 Hammers, while a Treb costs 120 Hammers.

This argument goes in the opposite direction against any AI that has Longbowmen, because 1 additional Longbowman can significantly alter the odds, forcing you to likely take heavier losses when capturing the City, while 1 more Axeman or 1 more Archer will hardly make any impact all all (other than +1 Experience Point). So, having the chance to save a Treb, even if Willem 2-pop-whips, still has us coming ahead Hammer-wise, unless Mitchum has magic luck and will never lose a battle to the random number generator (in which case I want him fighting all of our future wars ;)).

I think we should leave Ragnar for last, unless he starts teching towards feudalism. We can reconsider if that happens.
I don't see us having time to go for any more than possibly Ragnar's Ivory City before we need to hit Cathy, as much as I originally hoped that we did have time to hit more of Ragnar's Cities. Therefore, other than possibly going for Ragnar's Ivory City and definitely going for Ragnar's Galleys, I'd be okay to stop the war against him and leave him for later.

That fact should be enough for us to take a Peace Treaty with him after taking his Ivory City, but if we choose to ignore the Ivory City, then I'd rather see us take a Cease Fire.

Really, I kind of feel that Ragnar will want to expand if we take out Willem's City but do not attack Ragnar's Ivory City (while he probably won't expand if we leave Willem's City there), so I see the capture of those two Cities are being part of the same package.

If we plan to go with Medic III for our Great General, then we should get even more Combat-line Macemen for now, to help in guarding our City Raider II units and single City Raider III unit that we will get alongside the Medic III unit.

We should at least continue to promote units which already have a CR promotion along the CR line due to the greater value of CR2 and CR3.

Also, Maceman 7 should take the City Raider II promotion, so that it will Heal from the promotion and then Heal a tiny bit extra from having skipped its T + 1 turn. Note that although neither Treb is wounded, 2 of the 4 Macemen are wounded, while the City has 3 defenders, so we're probably wise to spend a full turn on Bombarding and then waiting to attack, rather than being forced to attack against higher Cultural Defences with 1 wounded Maceman (and 2 wounded Macemen if one of the 3 Macemen dies)--since Trebs can't kill units.

Once we have thrown 2 trebs against the city the third unit there will be so badly damaged it won't make much difference whether we attack with a damaged mace or not, so I think we should go ahead and attack on T+1.

We need a vote. northern passage vs. pig canal. I think the argument has been well laid out on both fronts... I vote for the northern passage.

The "Load additional units from Utrecht into galleon to be dropped off at The Hague on T+3 if needed" was a comment I forgot to delete from my first PPP. Please ignore.

We also need some agreement soon on what to do with the GG. Medic III or multiple CR III. Transport him to the west or use him on new troops being build in our core for the eastern front. I vote for CR III promotions in our core on troops headed east.

Once we have thrown 2 trebs against the city the third unit there will be so badly damaged it won't make much difference whether we attack with a damaged mace or not, so I think we should go ahead and attack on T+1.

That was my original plan but it seemed that there was some consensus around bombarding on T+1 and attacking Rotterdam on T+2. Our first treb attacks at ~80% odds on T+1... It should only get better from there. The reason that I was willing to wait to attack until T+2 was because we won't attack The Hague until T+2 at the earliest. I'll go with the majority on this.

Northern passage with 3 boats. We should still ship the workers from the core to Hague using a galleon so that we can build a canal. This will give us three boats in the south -- the worker transport can sail halfway to Utrecht and hand them off before sailing back east.

You can go with either route for Rotterdam - I don't feel too strongly about it.

We should at least continue to promote units which already have a CR promotion along the CR line due to the greater value of CR2 and CR3.
Agreed.

Specialized units are good to have. Specialized Combat units will come up as defenders, allowing them to perform their roles better, while City Raider III units perform their City-Attacking role that much better.

So, you suggest doing 0 Bombardments?

If we lose a Treb by rushing the attack versus Bombarding and having Willem whip 2 population points, we actually gain with Bombarding for a turn in terms of:
a) More Hammers by keeping a Treb alive than by having to rebuild a new one (a Treb costs more than a 2-pop-whip under Police State)
AND
b) Having a promoted Treb instead of a Treb built without a Barracks (we don't get to keep Barracks in captured Cities)
AND
c) Having the Treb NOW, which means being able to use it against Cathy, instead of potentially losing 1 Treb and then having 1 less Treb in the war against Cathy

Really, it pays to delay here, while versus Longbowmen is when it will pay to rush the attack.

If we go with northern passage, I'd like to see a very clear plan laid out as to which land units would be used where, including any planned new ones to arrive from Willem's Cities, and when they could arrive at their locations.

I really don't see the northern passage equalling a simultanous attack, unless someone can prove otherwise.

If the team decides to go with northern passage + only attacking Moscow, then that's what the team decides, but let's not make the decisions independent of each other, believing that we can pull off a simultaneous attack, only to arrive at that point in time and find that it won't work.

The plan is to attack both St Petes and Moscow on the same turn. We don't have to decide right now which units to use where. The ones for Moscow can load onto galleons the turn before we declare just north of The Hague. Per my plan, we'll have 3 galleons to hit Moscow and 3 galleons to hit St. Petes.

I would like to scout St. Petersburg and Moscow if possible with a galleon and/or healed mace/treb. Nailing down which unit and when will have to wait until our war with Willem is done.

EDIT: Does anyone have a guess as to how well fortified her cities will be? She's not in WHEOOHRN and should not be building up troops.

We have 6 Trebs and 11 Macemen at Willem.

We have 1 Treb on our eastern Galleon.

We have 5 turns until Amsterdam will come out of revolt. It is Size 8. If we have at least 6 people Happy, then on the first turn of coming out of the revolt, they can precisely stay at stagnant Food with the initial 9-square radius' worth of Food.

T + 6 is when we'd have some Hammers invested into a build item, meaning that T + 7 a Military Unit could be whipped and T + 8 a Military Unit arrive out of that City from a whipping action. A second unit could arrive on T + 10 if the units are cheap enough for us to be able to 2-pop-whip (which makes Trebs unlikely unless we plan to whip a Treb one turn later than one of the planned whips... EDIT: I suppose that 3-pop-whipping a Treb at the start would work, giving us enough overflow for a second Treb as a 2-pop-whip).

Utretcht has 9 turns of revolt remaining and has 12 population points. We will not have enough Food to feed the population and will lose 1 population point on the first turn, no matter what we do. We may consider whipping multiple times with inefficient whips on the first turn out of revolt or else we might just accept 1 point of population loss if we expand the Cultural borders within 1 turn due to using the Cultural Slider. Still, that's a long ways off to being able to create new units.

Rotterdam, if captured on T + 1, would be in revolt for 6 turns, so T + 8 is when we could feasibly first put Hammers into a build item.

If, instead, we wait until T + 2 to capture Rotterdam and Willem has 2-pop-whipped, then the City would be in revolt for 5 turns, making T + 8 still being the first turn where we could put Hammers into a build item.

That means whipping a unit in Rotterdam on T + 9 and not having that unit arrive until T + 10.

The Hague, as we have already discussed, would come out of revolt at a time when we'd be pushing our boats through that City (and would still be in revolt using the northern passage approach), so even if we immediately whipped an inefficient whip, a Military Unit from there could not board a Galleon and unload from a Galleon on the same turn that we could feasibly start a war using the "Fort the Pig" approach.

So, where is our army supposed to come from and why is it that we don't want to bring that 7th Treb from the east? Why is it that we're okay to attack Cathy at two locations with only 6 Trebs? Why are we considering risking one dying at Rotterdam? We'll probably lose one in taking The Hague.

The plan is to attack both St Petes and Moscow on the same turn. We don't have to decide right now which units to use where. The ones for Moscow can load onto galleons the turn before we declare just north of The Hague. Per my plan, we'll have 3 galleons to hit Moscow and 3 galleons to hit St. Petes.
Really, it's the number of Trebs not the number of Galleons that is going to be our true limiting factor.

Really, when hitting Longbowed Walled Cities, we should attack with a minimum 4 Trebs at each location, but we're short on Trebs at the moment.

This fact means that either:
a) We're going to have to wait to get more units
OR
b) We're better off just focusing on hitting one City at a time

The northern passage approach pushes up the timeline such that we really can't count on much support out of Willem's Cities, meaning that:
northern passage = no simultaneous attack and only assaulting Moscow, if we want to be feasible about our warring and not come under-prepared with not enough Trebs

I would like to scout St. Petersburg and Moscow if possible with a galleon and/or healed mace/treb.
Let's do it with a land unit. We can probably afford to move the Maceman that is in Utrecht out once The Hague looks like it is going to fall. There aught to be a Road connecting these two AIs, but even if there isn't one, there shouldn't be too many squares in between them (Willem and Cathy) without a Road.

Given that we have Engineering and Open Borders, a land-based scout will be faster than a Galleon scout that has to sail around the continent, plus the fact that a land-based scout can check out multiple Cities.

Probably that means that the Mace in Utrecht will heal for 1 turn, skip its turn for 1 turn, then it should probably be safe to send him out, but being willing to skip his turn up to one more time before moving out.

The plan is to move the treb on the galley along with 2 workers to the western front. We could easily delay our eastern war front and shuttle as many maces and trebs to the west as we feel we need. I think it is important to hit St Petes and Moscow on the same turn, so we can leave not doing so out of the discussion as far as I'm concerned.

Given that we have Engineering and Open Borders, a land-based scout will be faster than a Galleon scout that has to sail around the continent, plus the fact that a land-based scout can check out multiple Cities.

I was thinking that a galleon could check out St Petes and dump off a land unit there as it sails past.

I was thinking that a galleon could check out St Petes and dump off a land unit there as it sails past.
Sure, that works, too. We probably can't risk leaving Utrecht any quicker, but we might arrive a bit sooner. That is, unless you have a different unit in mind (I don't see one that will be freed up any sooner).

We can decide how many units to divert from our Core to the west once we've had a peek inside her cities, right?
Not with the northern passage approach, as we will be disrupting our Galleon chain in order to take the northern passage approach.

With the northern passage approach, that 7th Treb will be one of the last units that comes from the east, with a possible exception of a unit that you whip within the next turn or two if the 7th Galleon sticks around to collect said unit or units.

With the Galleon chain in place, we can bring as many Trebs as we need, including bringing the Great General from wherever he happens to appear. We don't need a stack of Trebs to finish off Willem's last City nor for Ragnar's Ivory City, which buys us time to get more Trebs into position.

4 Trebs and 5 Macemen would be the absolute minimum that we'd want to have at Moscow, but if we could hit with 5 Trebs and 6 Macemen, it would be a conclusive win.

The key point to remember is that we have to kill every AI and no AI is going to help us. The more units that an AI builds, the more that we have to face.

I suggest that you try out a test game where you attack (declare war then give yourself some units) Longbow-defended Cities (don't just place the Longbowmen as then they won't be fortified) with City Walls. It's not trivial to crack them with only a couple of Trebs each.

After a bit of Bombarding and after about the 3rd Treb does collateral damage, you start to see good odds, but it gets much better if you can have 4 or 5 Trebs to do collateral damage.

Another consideration that we REALLY SHOULD STRONGLY CONSIDER:
According to the Bombardment analysis, we can, with enough Trebs, completely nullify the effect of a hastily-whipped Castle*.

Recall that an Accuracy-promoted Treb will Bombard 12 and a "regular" Treb will Bombard 8 in a City that has City Walls. Let's say that we're able to Bombard with 2 Accuracy-promoted Trebs and 3 non-Accuracy-promoted Trebs before a Castle is whipped.

We'd take off 12 + 12 + 8 + 8 + 8 = 48. In a City with 40% Cultural Defences, that would leave 2/50. When the Castle appeared on the following turn, the Castle would be ONLY WORTH 4/100!!! A single Treb Bombardment would take down that Castle!!!

In a City with 60% Cultural Defences, that would leave 12/60, giving the Castle 20/100, which is still pretty pitiful for a Castle and which could be Bombarded down to 20 - 6 - 6 = 8 with two Accuracy-promoted Trebs or else we could just attack with 5 Trebs for a ton of collateral damage against a Castle that starts at 1/5th of its normal effectiveness.

HITTING IN FORCE WITH A LOT OF TREBS AT THE START OF A WAR is apparently my new secret tactic (which won't be a secret since it's being written in our thread) for war success.

* Note that Cathy either cannot whip a Castle because she won't revolt into Slavery or will have to spend at least 1 turn Revolting, giving us at least 1 turn of Bombarding before she could feasibly whip out a Castle.

Top Bottom