[NEWCIV] Norway!

trystero49

Prince
Steam Workshop Link

CFC Downloads Database Link

Adds Norway as a playable civilization. Requires Gods and Kings and Denmark DLC.

This mod contains a slightly altered form of whoward's Longboat mod, and I used jpbar81's Stave Church mod as an example of how to implement the Stave Church from the Into The Renaissance Scenario.

A very special thanks to whoward69 and Bob Morane for extensive help regarding the UA. Thanks also to Drawmeus.

Leader: Harald Fairhair
UU: Norwegian Ski Infantry (Renamed to Ski Infantry. Gives Denmark a Longboat as a replacement. The Longboat is taken from whoward's mod.)
UB: Stave Church (From Into the renaissance scenario. I used jpbar's mod as an example of how to add it.) No maintenance cost, half production cost, and +3 faith. Replaces the Temple.

UA: Skaldic Verse. +5 XP from culture buildings, faith buildings, and world wonders for units built in city.

NOTE: Because of the way the game engine is, there is a very small bug in the UA. Units purchased on the VERY FIRST TURN (i.e. turn 0) will NOT get XP bonuses from Culture/Faith/WW in the city in which it was purchased. This will not be a problem generally unless you are a) "cheating" or b) playing an advanced start. Even then, it's only for the first turn, and I can't do anything about it without making this mod replace core game files. Otherwise it works.

Thanks to Irkalla for an excellent Civ Icon.

Currently, this mod has placeholder art for:

a) DOM image
b) DiploScreen
c) Map.

Janbourta will be providing me with much better art assets soon. When he does, I will update. I will also post screenshots at that point.

There are no plans to update this for Vanilla or G&K without Denmark, sorry. Feel free to alter this mod in any way, shape, or form to suit your needs.

Note:
Civilopedia entries for Harald Fairhair are a re-written version of the Wikipedia articles for Harald Fairhair and the Battle of Hafrsfjord. Civilopedia entries for Norway are taken directly from the Wikipedia article for the History of Norway. If anyone would like to rewrite the Civilopedia articles, please let me know!

Finally, all of mainland Scandinavia represented....this one will go into my Nordic mods collection for sure. Well done! :viking: :cheers:

Finished my emperor domination with Norway and it seems to me now to be even more flexible and robust than I initially thought. I think that it is suitable for most kinds of wins with a supporting religion. Stavkirke/Stave Church is the key to founding an early religion. Others (celts, byzants, ..) will probably grab pantheons first, but with a few stave churches you should be able to get a good pick for religion. I happened to find mt kailash near my 3rd city, which together with stave churches bagged me first choice of religion and enhancement. The stave churches also have no maintenance and can be boosted by temple beliefs, e.g happiness.

The UA which is basically a "cultured warrior" can be used in a tall empire for good defense early w/o spending on barracks, armory, .. ie it lets you focus on culture and/or science but still have eminent archers for defense. The key is anyway for Norway to have a supporting religion for culture/science/diplomacy as there are no other advantages supporting these VC. But the UA allows you to play a peaceful modern Norway.

The "cultured warrior" is also great for warlike norse/viking players as you can spawn well-trained units straight into combat (early on you will probably have at least shrine, stavkirke and a monument for +15xp in addition to the usual +xp buildings). Norway might not be great for early conquest, but between 0 AD and 1000 AD the +xp will kick in for a (lasting) Viking Age.

Together with a happiness religion (ceremonial + happy temple/shrine + faith healing) there was no problem with continual warfare and eventually ICS on a large map. Culture will accumulate early though so you will have no problems filling liberty/tradition + honor long before autocracy opens up.

Currently there are a number of issues. Some xp calculations are wrong - some buildings are not counted (amphitheatre?). Hermitage should probably count as a culture building. Gifted units from CS also seem to get bonus xp which feels wrong. It feels slightly OP when you have a few wonders. Did not try debugging the lua code as it is painful to mod on a mac.

As commented earlier on Steam, it is a (modern) norwegian sentiment to avoid casualties, but with losses you can now just build another power unit that is probably stronger than many experienced units. Maybe the +xp for culture can be applied to old units somehow, which would really make you keep your 4000bc warrior till he becomes a super-mech. Another balance issue is that with emperor+ difficulty you have fewer wonders so the UA is weaker than on lower difficulties.

Anyway - good civ (especially for norwegians) so keep up the good work :)

Thanks for all the feedback, I will try to look into some of those issues when I get the chance.

Are you sure that CS gifted units also get free XP? The lua code will only give XP to units created in a city owned by Norway, unless there is a bug for it. (The logic goes like this: Check player. Is player Norway? If yes, check cities. Do any of these cities have a unit just built? If yes, award XP based on buildings. I don't see how a CS unit can get free XP this way, unless a bug exists.)

I may make it so that the XP bonus diminishes later in the game, if it is a little OP. As for the UA being weaker on harder difficulties, I expected that. I don't build plenty of wonders, so the way I see it, the UA is just "more exploitable" on easier difficulties.

I never really bothered with military CS in the game because the culture xp bonus favours homegrown units. So the single unit I got I had to check and it had some xp. :)

I read the lua-code for awarding xp and it seemed ok. Can find a pc and load some of my saves to see if I can track the issues I saw. The mac version lacks the fall patch - I dunno if that is relevant.

Another xp-award thing I noticed but not 100% sure on was when buying units they seemed to get some xp and promotions right away on the turn they were bought, and then they got the rest on the next turn when they became available for use. This should be easy to reproduce though.

Another xp-award thing I noticed but not 100% sure on was when buying units they seemed to get some xp and promotions right away on the turn they were bought, and then they got the rest on the next turn when they became available for use. This should be easy to reproduce though.

Because of the way the game engine is, units purchased will not receive UA XP on the turn they are purchased. They will receive XP the turn they become available for use. I cannot change this unless I provide a custom .dll.

In any case, ALL units will get their UA bonus before they actually see battle.

I've had some playtime with this now and I like it a lot. The UA can be very strong and perhaps I'd be expecting some sort of seafaring trait for a Norwegian civ but nonetheless great work!

Any plans of updating it with anything?

Good work even if bad colours..:scan:

If there was a way to adopt the Vandals axeman as a pre-berserker "light" into this mod, a bronze-iron-age Warrior parallel With spearmen and later berserkers, that would make the scenery a lot more realistic.

make the axemen cheaper and the berserker about x2 cost..

Great mod. You should change the leader screen for norway. use the leader screen from Harald Hardrada in the viking scenario? That would be mutch better:) update it when BNW is out with that?

Top Bottom