Football Thread No. 9

That definitely was something else. :eek:

It all started with Joey Barton - social media's favourite intellectual hooligan psycho - elbowing, kicking and headbutting left and right as if there was no tomorrow. That alone would have made this game memorable.
Then the rest was just unbelievable. I bet the life expectancy of many in that stadium dropped a few years.

@Josu: thanks for the details. I meant 'ransacking' in a figurative way. I remember other clubs complaining about Athletic hogging most of the regional talent (like I said, nothing unusual: Athletic are the biggest club in the region). I didn't have any criticism in mind. Just pointing out that, while people in other countries have this image of Athletic as a kind of unofficial national team of Euskadi, the reality is a bit more subtle, but no less interesting. And, as you confirmed, the club's 'identity' is not static in time, having evolved from a strictly basque only to a cantera oriented one. Whatever the case, football fans around the world will keep admiring the club. :goodjob:

In other news Real Zaragoza have pulled off the milagro. In the end it came down to winning the last match against mid-table Getafe. But after being 9 points adrift and barely getting a point for 2 months that's a hell of a thing.

Sometime the Guardian's readers give us something other than the usual keyboard-hooliganism:
Four months ago people were saying if Wenger can get this team into the Champions League, that would be his greatest achivement. Well then?

15th consecutive season of Champions League football -- yikes. Arsenal might not win the big trophies in the foreseeable future but that is consistent, when you have a shiny new stadium to pay off.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/discussion/comment-permalink/16106161

Yes, today was the EPL at it's best. I do not remember a season finale which was so dramatic. I was watching the Man City Vs QPR game in the computer rooms and I was just gasping when QPR got the second goal I could not believe it. The final 5 minutes of that Man City game was just..astonishing my own heart was beating so fast and i'm a neutral! I'm just super glad that Man United didn't win it :D

I was wondering where the hell you were.

Well darn.

I watched the full Man City QPR game. The first QPR goal was just dumb luck, mixed in with some good counterattacking and a cocky Man City back line. The second goal though, just before they scored, I was telling my brother that the only way QPR could score was to get a quick counter going so the Man City defense would be racing back and not marking players. Then Mackie had that beautiful header that sailed past Man City's keeper.

But then it all came crashing down. QPR was able to defend against Man City for 90 minutes, it just was terrible that it wasn't enough. Even though he had some major miscues, Kenny played an outstanding game in goal. Man City took 25 shots, had 19 corners, and held possession for 81% of the game, and QPR still held their own in their 11 (later 10) man defensive formation.

A good ending to the season all in all. I would've loved to see Man U win it, but I can't argue with the result. It was an amazing season finale, and I guess that's all you can ask for.

Ferguson was right. "Football. Bloody Hell!"

or as mancini put it: "the football is incredible".

The second goal though, just before they scored, I was telling my brother that the only way QPR could score was to get a quick counter going so the Man City defense would be racing back and not marking players.

you sure know the football.

@Josu: thanks for the details. I meant 'ransacking' in a figurative way. I remember other clubs complaining about Athletic hogging most of the regional talent (like I said, nothing unusual: Athletic are the biggest club in the region). I didn't have any criticism in mind. Just pointing out that, while people in other countries have this image of Athletic as a kind of unofficial national team of Euskadi, the reality is a bit more subtle, but no less interesting. And, as you confirmed, the club's 'identity' is not static in time, having evolved from a strictly basque only to a cantera oriented one. Whatever the case, football fans around the world will keep admiring the club. :goodjob:

NO, this must be clear, we are not a kind of national team. NO WAY. We are Athletic Club. Real Sociedad, Osasuna and Deportivo Alaves supporters doesn't feel represented by Athletic Club and there is no need for Athletic Club of representing them. On the other hand the identity has always remained similar, the only difference is the strict we have been with our policy. You have to take in account that until recently cantera policy was almost meaning basque only policy because emigration was strong in basque country in the early XX century, but not very strong later, in consequence in the middle of the century mayority of people in the area was basque born.

In other news Real Zaragoza have pulled off the milagro. In the end it came down to winning the last match against mid-table Getafe. But after being 9 points adrift and barely getting a point for 2 months that's a hell of a thing.

That was absolutelly awesome. At the begining of season everyone was figuring Mallorca and Zaragoza to be relegated. If La Liga would have started when Joaquin Caparros arrived to Mallorca, they would have classified for Champions League. On the other hand Zaragoza's last 10 match have been incredible. I feel a little bit sorry because of Lotina (coach in Villareal), who is a good guy (and Athletic Club's supporter :)) but has relegated 4 teams being coach

La Liga is ended, but there are still regular seanson matches in second division. Besides the teams that will play promotion play off still are not decided.

One thing about the City QPR game was the Barton sending off. What an absolute idiot, final game of the season, you need to actually get something from the game to help your chances of staying up and he goes crazy and loses it and damages his teams prospects.

Seriously a look at his wikipedia page just shows you what kind of person he is. He got into a fight with two men outside a freaking macdonalds at 1AM a few years back, there are more episodes like that. He needs a season long ban or a permaneant one.

Looking ahead to the Champions League final on Saturday, I think Chelsea can start celebrating now... Bayern were absolutely terrible on the DFB Pokal final and I don't think they will recover from this. Half their defense is suspended and like McDread said, the replacements are worse. I've seen only a few teams implode like this before, but last Saturdays' performance was "peinlich" to say the least. Get better defenders next year, fire the current coach, and maybe, they will be able to at least beat Dortmund once.

Top Bottom