End of Empires - N3S III

Looks good! NK, any news since our last conversation?

To: The Vithani Exatai

In the name of the Gold and the Silver, the Dual Avatars, and of the Seven, and of Taleldil, Lord of Wind and Thunder, we send this message to you. The words have been written in blood, as is custom, binding them to truth.

For years, the Vithana and the Ardavai have warred, despite their common faith. But did not the Satraps war before the rise of Taleldil, Emperor of the Heavens? Did not the Princes war upon the Rath Satar before the coming of the First? "Know him by his Aspect." We have clashed and found each other strong. We have found each other worthy of the Lord of Wind and Thunder.

Now, many have died. This is a sure sign that men have become weak. No longer have the they strength of Aspect to resist the ravening spirits of the warring heavens, and so they falter and die. This is not a sign of Taleldil's displeasure, but of his impending victory. If the spirits are driven from the heavens by his power, they will prey on the weaker. But we are the servants of Taleldil, and we shall outlast death.

Once, the Satar and the Acca were two peoples. Two destinies, two lives. Now, we are one. We are Ardavai. We are path-seekers. You too, are Ardavai. Do you not follow the Kaphaiavai, as we do? Do you not wear the mask? Do you not have your own Oracles who interpret the guidance of the Heavenly Emperor? Do you not claim the mantle of Exatas?

You are noble Vithana, you are uplifted Vithana. No more shall brothers in Ardavan lift spears against one another in war. You will join us. We will send you weapons, we will send you scriptures. Whatever you need, you shall have. Slaves from the false spirit-worshipers, you shall have. Great elephants to terrify your enemies, that too you shall have.

I give all these things to you, not to gain your submission, but to gain your friendship. Does it not pain you that your brother Vithana worship false spirits? That the northern kingdoms, which legends say bathe in pools of shadow and light, do not know the Chains That Free?

It is your task, not to spread Exatai to the faithful, but to spread it to the unworthy. You are our brothers, foes no longer. And the world shall be made worthy.

For as it has been written in the holy Kaphaiavai:

"Beginning there were many gods, and none.
And in the end, there shall be only one."

My dear brother, my exalted Prince, my treasured companion. Know that we shall sow terror among the unrighteous.

Sealed by mine own hand, with the blood of mine own slave,

Vespelian, Prince of the Sun, High Prince of the Satar, First Censoratta of the Acca, Ninth Redeemer of Man

Everyone who's claimed so far is confirmed.

Don't really need a climate map, I think. Everything is pretty obvious from the last one.

Looks good! NK, any news since our last conversation?

You'll have to be a little more specific. :p

To: The Vithani Exatai

In the name of the Gold and the Silver, the Dual Avatars, and of the Seven, and of Taleldil, Lord of Wind and Thunder, we send this message to you. The words have been written in blood, as is custom, binding them to truth.

For years, the Vithana and the Ardavai have warred, despite their common faith. But did not the Satraps war before the rise of Taleldil, Emperor of the Heavens? Did not the Princes war upon the Rath Satar before the coming of the First? "Know him by his Aspect." We have clashed and found each other strong. We have found each other worthy of the Lord of Wind and Thunder.

Now, many have died. This is a sure sign that men have become weak. No longer have the they strength of Aspect to resist the ravening spirits of the warring heavens, and so they falter and die. This is not a sign of Taleldil's displeasure, but of his impending victory. If the spirits are driven from the heavens by his power, they will prey on the weaker. But we are the servants of Taleldil, and we shall outlast death.

Once, the Satar and the Acca were two peoples. Two destinies, two lives. Now, we are one. We are Ardavai. We are path-seekers. You too, are Ardavai. Do you not follow the Kaphaiavai, as we do? Do you not wear the mask? Do you not have your own Oracles who interpret the guidance of the Heavenly Emperor? Do you not claim the mantle of Exatas?

You are noble Vithana, you are uplifted Vithana. No more shall brothers in Ardavan lift spears against one another in war. You will join us. We will send you weapons, we will send you scriptures. Whatever you need, you shall have. Slaves from the false spirit-worshipers, you shall have. Great elephants to terrify your enemies, that too you shall have.

I give all these things to you, not to gain your submission, but to gain your friendship. Does it not pain you that your brother Vithana worship false spirits? That the northern kingdoms, which legends say bathe in pools of shadow and light, do not know the Chains That Free?

It is your task, not to spread Exatai to the faithful, but to spread it to the unworthy. You are our brothers, foes no longer. And the world shall be made worthy.

For as it has been written in the holy Kaphaiavai:

"Beginning there were many gods, and none.
And in the end, there shall be only one."

My dear brother, my exalted Prince, my treasured companion. Know that we shall sow terror among the unrighteous.

Sealed by mine own hand, with the blood of mine own slave,

Vespelian, Prince of the Sun, High Prince of the Satar, First Censoratta of the Acca, Ninth Redeemer of Man

As Taleldil has spoken, so we must follow.

How interesting that you come to us thus, in these dark days. Your words please us, for we desire nothing more than to prove our devotion and our strength on the field of battle, but it is indeed clear to all alike that little is to be gained by spilling more blood between us. For Taleldil does not desire that his followers should kill all who oppose them; he indeed tells us that we are to prove our strength, and once that strength is proven, there is no more to be said.

We have both proven our strength. It is time to bring it to bear on the unholy, the unworthy, the scum that surround us like cowardly sheep.

Let us go north and west, and let you go south and east, and in time, we shall circle the world and meet on the other side, the whole world having run red with blood, the whole world drenched in sorrows, the whole world purged of weakness and cravenry.

Thus will we make good our promise to our god.

Let us exchange mighty gifts in the markets of Arastephaion, for none realize better than us the value of a kingly gift. Let the gifts of the east be exchanged for the gifts of the west; spices for cloth, silver for gold.

And with the mighty steeds of the desert once more in your possession, and the mighty strange beasts of the south in ours, none shall dare oppose us.

Jahan, Prince of Asihkar, Third Redeemer of the Vithana

@Iggy,

You can have Helsia, I'm going to look into picking up a nation on the edge of the fog or starting a new culture somewhere.

Woah, what a massive piece of sheer awesome. Amazing.

But just a one thing... there's no mention on the update what happens in the east after section 4, 330-410, and before section 10 which is about the plague. An oversight or just something so boring it's not worth mentioning? (I don't really mind it that much as I see much didn't happen politically, but maybe some info on domestic front would be cool!)

Oh and Opulensi Empire is present

...That's utterly hilarious. Well, for me, not so much for you. That I forgot it and that no one noticed until now. I think I might have accidentally cut off section 7 in one of the edits. :p

Here's the missing part (also to be integrated into the update):

7. The East, 410-472

After a period of relative chaos, the eastern nations settled into a peaceful cycle of trade and prosperity that was hard to break.

Certainly, there were still reasons to fight. The Leunans couldn't be entirely happy with how the situation in the far east had turned out, and they blamed the Opulensi for that. But they knew they didn't have the strength to challenge the Opulensi on their own, and it would be hard to assemble a coalition in the first place, let alone direct it in a unified manner against the larger Empire. Likewise, the Eastern League and the Savirai would have much to gain from the fall of the Opulensi – but no way to effect that fall. And the Opulensi, of course, felt quite satisfied with how things had turned out – gradual expansion wouldn't be sneered at, but there was no reason for them to actively go to war.

And everyone seemed to recognize this state of affairs, and had little reason to change it.

Everyone, that is, except the Savirai.

Yes, indeed, the desert dwellers once again took it upon themselves to try and bring down the massive seafaring empire, and the results were predictable. The Opulensi saw little reason to go on the offensive, and were able to hold all of their existing territory against enemy assaults; the Savirai couldn't break through at all, certainly not on the naval front.

That didn't stop them from trying, though. For an almost absurd time of thirty four years, the nation continually tried to bring down the Opulensi in a series of attacks through various stratagems, occasionally convincing one or another nation to join them in their schemes. Ultimately, it only exhausted their nation further, leaving it prey to continuing religious instability. By the end of the period, then, the Savirai were having enough trouble keeping their own nation together to contemplate attacking anyone else.

The Leunan succession struggles that had plagued them before now seemed largely forgotten. In reality, though, the tension between northern and southern lines remained, masked by the successful intermarriage. They still were not terribly fond of the Gadians, and some diplomatic maneuvering had won them allies in the other Acayan states, but they didn't feel confident enough to start another war – not yet, anyway.

Probably the most interesting character of this era, then, is not the silly generals or kings, but one Arasos in the Opulensi.

A monk by trade, as a young man, he had made his first pilgrimage to Halq, and believed, then, at the tender age of eighteen, to have seen true enlightenment on the golden-red shores of that island. He returned eagerly to the monastery in Epichirisi, eager to explain his revelation to his fellow pupils, but it took him only a few years to grow disillusioned with the ideas he had found there. Enlightenment, he wrote around then, is a slippery thing. One may believe that he has found one essential truth or another, but in reality be grasping at the air, unaware that his own spiritual awakening was a false one, and that he will discover this in short order.

He then went on to question how one could even hold any faith in the idea of enlightenment at all – presumably one would have just as much confidence in a false enlightenment as one would in the truth. His ideas intrigued and outraged the otherwise stoic monastic community, and he quickly became one of the most prominent members of the Opulensi Empire.

In the search for truth, he wrote, there is neither freedom from suffering nor enlightenment. Truth can lead us to pain, and it needn't eliminate ignorance; indeed it can live alongside ignorance. And yet the truth is a necessary precursor for enlightenment in most philosophies...

He grappled with all of these questions, and with the age old questions that the Indagahor monks had already puzzled over for the previous few centuries. He spoke frequently in both the monastery and the university, drawing crowds in either place, but also wandered the streets of Epichirisi in plain clothing to engage merchants and artisans – not merely to try and make them rethink their own lives, but also to learn from them, saying that there is no man who is not wise in his own way.

He dined with Opulensi Emperor Crannaior-Karash often, who once asked him why a supposed ascetic would eat so much – Arasos replied that he was not one to let food go to waste, and that the Emperor's gut had clearly already seen enough.

It is a measure of his aura that the otherwise ferociously temperamental Crannaior-Karash merely chuckled at this.

Indeed, he was so well loved by the Emperor that he devoted a considerable portion of a few years' revenue – in the middle of (an admittedly inconsequential) war with the Savirai to build a new monastery and university side by side on the outskirts of the capital for the monk's use.

Arasos taught a number of students in his time, and in his later years began to study the arts and sciences as well as the mysteries of the universe – with him, Indagahor monasteries slowly started to turn to more practical explorations than they had in the past. It would be too much to assert that he was the only contributing factor to the rising importance of eastern explorations at this time, but he certainly did mark the new era quite conveniently.

Around this time, the voyages of the various eastern states uncovered two other nations on the edge of civilization.

The Baribai lie on the southern extreme of human knowledge, deep in the great expanse of the Nakalani, on a series of islands so far removed from the mainland so as to seem like another world. Settled in a time remembered only by the myths of their people, the islands had developed in isolation from the rest of the world, with a menagerie of chiefs and kings fighting for control of tiny realms, until finally united by the Baribai a mere century before contact.

They struck out to explore in all directions, conquering what islands they could find, but they finally found in Ichan and Erlias enemies with some staying power. The Baribai now contemplate their options, though there is some urgency in the situation – disease has begun to spread to the islanders.

On the other side of the world, at the very edge of the far east explorations of the Leunans and Opulensi, they found a trading post established by a people who call themselves the “Kitaluyans,” or something like that. Seemingly a completely different people from the Acayans they had already encountered, the Kitaluyans or Kitaluki had much in the way of exotic goods to offer their new visitors – strange incenses, including one apparently inhaled directly by a man from a burning brand, fowl and beasts never seen before by the sailors, and sweet-smelling sandalwood.

Their ships and demeanor puzzled the Leunans and Opulensi alike – the vessels seemed to be built with more than one hull alongside itself, which seemed bizarrely inefficient to the more traditional shipbuilders, and the men offered little respect to either each other or the men of rank among the Easterners. Nor did they explain where they had arrived from – possibly across the ocean, but surely that was them pulling the cradle's collective leg?

* * * * * * * * *​

From: Nephrax-ta-Delphis, Prince of the Scroll, Satrap of Kargan
To: Neruss

The Eastern Fist of the Redeemer requires your leader's humble submission. In return for your fealty, your life will be spared, your lands will be retained, and your family will not be enslaved. You shall be confirmed as Satrap of Neruss in all your former privileges. An appropriate tribute should be remitted to ourselves, which we will in turn submit to the Redeemer. Additionally, a Censoratta will be dispatched to your city to ensure your eternal loyalty to the Mask.

@Iggy,

You can have Helsia, I'm going to look into picking up a nation on the edge of the fog or starting a new culture somewhere.

Alright, that gives me more time to decide what to do... I think I'm going to take the Helsian Empire.

Holy mutha-hell. I'm beyond words, and pleased that I decided to show back up! Without a doubt, I'm so in. Beyond my wildest dreams NK x.x, grazie! Now I have to actually read lol.

To the Monarch of Elets
Işŗ ē Dāroćramįr, Evynæ Thorsrdyn, Omigāium Rhiaōmł, Anyāićra Bleilæđ, Rhedaŗāium Sabiræđ, or Anyaisćra Utæđ.

I am Dāroćramįr, Thorsrdyn of Evyn, Sovereign of the Empire, Herald of Anyāis, Lord of the North, and Scourge of Those Broken. As I rest upon the Throne of Anyāis, I take note of my neighbors. I have seen to the sundering of my enemies, and now I shall see to the sowing of my friends. I have taken notice of you, and I have decided to invoke the Old Offer, by which you may submit yourself to the Empire and be taken under its defense.

I offer generous terms. Submit to the Empire and become brothers with the Host than inhabits its borders. Pay your fair share of the burdens that are necessary, both in coin and man; and in return live a millennium in peace. Your lands, villages, and homes will be safe- never to be bothered by outsiders again. You and your descendants will rule for all time in your domain, second only to my rule. Such security is worthwhile, is it not? So, I hereby invite you personally to travel to Anyāis to accept my offer. Your safety will be guaranteed by the Host itself, and you will be my personal guest for a week of celebrations in your honor.

In the past, the Empire has consumed those that had drawn its attention. One by one, the nations of the north have fallen to the host of Anyāis, until now only the Empire remains. I offer you a chance to avoid that fate. With my protection, with my friendship, your people will be safe and your nation assured; none would dare attack that which lies in my charge. I await your decision.

To the Xieni
Işŗ ē Dāroćramįr, Evynæ Thorsrdyn, Omigāium Rhiaōmł, Anyāićra Bleilæđ, Rhedaŗāium Sabiræđ, or Anyaisćra Utæđ.

I am Dāroćramįr, Thorsrdyn of Evyn, Sovereign of the Empire, Herald of Anyāis, Lord of the North, and Scourge of Those Broken. Your crossings into the territories of the Empire have angered me, and in doing so have made yourself a powerful enemy. I will have no further dealings with your backward people until you submit yourself to the Throne of Anyāis and pay tribute to me. Failure to do so immediately will result in your utter destruction, without doubt. Do not take my words lightly; your time draws to an end.

I think I would quite like to raise the Laitra Empire to greatness ;)

Tremble with fear, all you who listen
For as the strands of this tale glisten
Your body and mind are strong and hale,
But days will come when they are frail,
And knowing that your story ends,
You question where the river bends.
Who binds you to your final heaven
But Taleldil, who rules the Seven?

But at each heaven's starry gate
The Silver knows all fear, and hate
So in his earthly deeds, now bask
So that in time, you shall not ask,
Who is this spirit of truth and might
Which casts me from the holy light

Into the howling, void-rent night?

So hear the lay of the greatest Prince
The Lord of Sapphire, Silver Fist
Within his heart, a glorious dream
Our weakened race to all redeem
Within his mind, is judgment and grace
Though sorrow shall always cloud his face
He treads the paths of shadow and sun
And many a noble victory won

But always was the father's son.

-Introduction to the Lay of Atraxes

Holy mutha-hell. I'm beyond words, and pleased that I decided to show back up! Without a doubt, I'm so in. Beyond my wildest dreams NK x.x, grazie! Now I have to actually read lol.

To the Monarch of Elets

I am Dāroćramįr, Thorsrdyn of Evyn, Sovereign of the Empire, Herald of Anyāis, Lord of the North, and Scourge of Those Broken. As I rest upon the Throne of Anyāis, I take note of my neighbors. I have seen to the sundering of my enemies, and now I shall see to the sowing of my friends. I have taken notice of you, and I have decided to invoke the Old Offer, by which you may submit yourself to the Empire and be taken under its defense.

I offer generous terms. Submit to the Empire and become brothers with the Host than inhabits its borders. Pay your fair share of the burdens that are necessary, both in coin and man; and in return live a millennium in peace. Your lands, villages, and homes will be safe- never to be bothered by outsiders again. You and your descendants will rule for all time in your domain, second only to my rule. Such security is worthwhile, is it not? So, I hereby invite you personally to travel to Anyāis to accept my offer. Your safety will be guaranteed by the Host itself, and you will be my personal guest for a week of celebrations in your honor.

In the past, the Empire has consumed those that had drawn its attention. One by one, the nations of the north have fallen to the host of Anyāis, until now only the Empire remains. I offer you a chance to avoid that fate. With my protection, with my friendship, your people will be safe and your nation assured; none would dare attack that which lies in my charge. I await your decision.

To: Evyni Empire

We already face a mortal threat. What more could you do?

To: Evyni Empire

We have word that you are exchanging diplomacy with a nation we are currently in the process of subjugating. Surely you noticed that this nation already belongs to the Vithana? Or are you preparing to challenge us in battle?

To the Xieni

I am Dāroćramįr, Thorsrdyn of Evyn, Sovereign of the Empire, Herald of Anyāis, Lord of the North, and Scourge of Those Broken. Your crossings into the territories of the Empire have angered me, and in doing so have made yourself a powerful enemy. I will have no further dealings with your backward people until you submit yourself to the Throne of Anyāis and pay tribute to me. Failure to do so immediately will result in your utter destruction, without doubt. Do not take my words lightly; your time draws to an end.

To: Evyni

False words of strength do not intimidate us. If you come knocking at our gates, it is quite likely that they will open for you -- and shortly thereafter, a number of cavalry will come riding through the gate, trampling you under their hooves.

In sum, "Scourge", prove your self-appended eponym before making empty threats.

mountains are shaking
ten thousand drums beat the ground
clouds on horizon

Kentharu is taking over the Khivani Roshate, I am switching to the Kothari Exatai.

To the Xieni
I am Dāroćramįr, Thorsrdyn of Evyn, Sovereign of the Empire, Herald of Anyāis, Lord of the North, and Scourge of Those Broken. You are naught but dust under my foot, unworthy of being thought as human. You are newcomers to my lands, an encroacher upon stole territories in need of proper discipline. The bravado you have shown has been witnessed by countless Thorsrdyn before me, and like my forefathers, I take it to be what it is- the last words of a fallen people. You may try to make yourself seem bigger than you are, a most noted defense, but in the end you still pale in comparison of me.

I have no further words for you, barbarian. Like all those who had stood against it, the Empire will crush you and your people will be scattered to the wind. As my word is law, you cease to exist.

To the Vithana

The fact that you come to my door with such brazen prattle shows that you do not know who you are dealing with. I am Dāroćramįr, Thorsrdyn of Evyn, Sovereign of the Empire, Herald of Anyāis, Lord of the North, and Scourge of Those Broken. At my hand lies the greatest Empire this world has yet to see, one of unchallengeable strength and unimaginable power. At my command lies an army more numerous than that of your entire people, an army that has never tasted defeat during its long history. The Host of Evyn is more than capable of defending the Empire, and crushing any who dare question my power. This I assure you.

I know you- I have heard the stories the people tell of your savagery and your so called deeds. They do not intimidate me; and I tell you now, with no hesitation, I do not fear you Horse-Lord. Come as you may, you will not do as you say- the North will not be troubled by such petty threats you spout. Now, as you have insulted both the Throne and the Empire, I am left with no choice- should your soldiers take one step further into Elet land, you may consider the Empire your enemy.

To Elets

You mistake my offer of friendship for one of hostility, I do not threaten you. Whether you wish or not, the course now brings you into my reach and as such, the Empire will not be denied. It is up to you whether you and your lineage continue in power, or if you become like all those who have denied the Old Offer. You need naught but kneel before the Throne, and the whole might of the Host will be brought against your enemies.

Phew. Took me long enough to get around to actually reading all of this. :p It's great, though.

Confirming Holy Moti Empire. Diplomacy will be addressed soon.

From: Nephrax-ta-Delphis, Prince of the Scroll, Satrap of Kargan
To: Neruss

The Eastern Fist of the Redeemer requires your leader's humble submission. In return for your fealty, your life will be spared, your lands will be retained, and your family will not be enslaved. You shall be confirmed as Satrap of Neruss in all your former privileges. An appropriate tribute should be remitted to ourselves, which we will in turn submit to the Redeemer. Additionally, a Censoratta will be dispatched to your city to ensure your eternal loyalty to the Mask.

To: The Satar, Accursed by All Men, Blessed by None, Doomed to Never Taste the Fruits of the Totality
From: The Ancient and Most Respected City of Neruss, May Her Salt Ever be Salty

We have heard your message, your arrogant braying. We know it is a threat, but truly, it is an idle one, for long have we prepared to defend ourselves from the horse-lords of the West. I, personally, have little more to say to you -- I feel it is better to say it when you writhe at my feet, bleeding from a dozen wounds, with a sword pointed directly at your neck.

But let it be known that no nation will bow simply because it is told to bow. Let it be known that threats, be they with teeth or not, do not intimidate -- they merely irritate.

Tell all this to your "Redeemer", who we assume must redeem your horse manure for its weight in gold. And let him know that having an underling send the message is not a sign of power, it is a sign of weakness, for clearly he is too weak even to hold the seal to the piece of paper.

To the Vithana

The fact that you come to my door with such brazen prattle shows that you do not know who you are dealing with. I am Dāroćramįr, Thorsrdyn of Evyn, Sovereign of the Empire, Herald of Anyāis, Lord of the North, and Scourge of Those Broken. At my hand lies the greatest Empire this world has yet to see, one of unchallengeable strength and unimaginable power. At my command lies an army more numerous than that of your entire people, an army that has never tasted defeat during its long history. The Host of Evyn is more than capable of defending the Empire, and crushing any who dare question my power. This I assure you.

I know you- I have heard the stories the people tell of your savagery and your so called deeds. They do not intimidate me; and I tell you now, with no hesitation, I do not fear you Horse-Lord. Come as you may, you will not do as you say- the North will not be troubled by such petty threats you spout. Now, as you have insulted both the Throne and the Empire, I am left with no choice- should your soldiers take one step further into Elet land, you may consider the Empire your enemy.

To: the Evyni

You are so ready to attack us, are you? Why? Is it not natural that we might in time, learn to trade and clasp our hands as friends? But if you truly wish to launch your expeditions onto the steppe, and watch them starve and thirst, then by all means -- do so.

To Elets

You mistake my offer of friendship for one of hostility, I do not threaten you. Whether you wish or not, the course now brings you into my reach and as such, the Empire will not be denied. It is up to you whether you and your lineage continue in power, or if you become like all those who have denied the Old Offer. You need naught but kneel before the Throne, and the whole might of the Host will be brought against your enemies.

To: the Evyni

If you were a friend, you would offer to help us against the oncoming horde, rather than threaten us with another one. We call you no friend -- we call you a foe, and a foul one at that, who would knife us in the back even as we fought to keep the civilized lands of the world safe.

The Holy Moti Empire has sent The Clan of Kogur on an expedition to the south, to spread the name of Opporia to the uncivilized, and to bring glory to the Empire.

OOC: I'll PM my stat crap to NK or bug him on the chat :p

Top Bottom