Planning cIV BTS MTDG III

@ Bowsling- I see your point, but we recently finished a Diplogame at Apolyton called DoE (Destiny of Empires), that had tech trades off but it still collapsed over... you guessed it... "unbreakable alliances. I mean like Q, you might want to leave, but you can't because its suicide, or like India in DoE, you want to stay independent but then the alliances steamroll you. Or like Sirius, you defect, but then you get dogpiled and forced back in.

Its a complex problem, that's all I'm saying. We cant assume we can just click "No Tech Trading" and it will just go away. I'm not sure what the solution is, other than fixed alliances.

You're right, turning of tech trading won't solve all problems, but it is still a good thing to do. I vote in favor of turning of tech trading.

hi! invitation es been process by our spanish community :crazyeye:
we also have a second forum at www.todocivilization.com,

I will be back if we manage to build a team for this challenge. :goodjob:

Great! Take your time and come back to us with good news that you will join! :D

So! The guys over WPC will field a team too!

Even there is a slight twinkle in the xOTM/SGOTM section! (yeah, only one guy, but can be the start of the wrath of the SPers swarming in to the wonderful world of MP ;) )

BTW, anyone having registration at http://www.civforum.de ? Or you guys know someone from it so I can send him a PM?

I do. I'm not sure if my German is good enough though, I may have to ask someone else from the Civ3 ISDG.

How many teams do we expect to field from CFC? 2, 3, or 4?

How many teams do we expect to field from CFC? 2, 3, or 4?

I want to believe we can muster 3 or more, but 2 is more realistic judging from the level of interest so far :) 1 from ex-Amazons and allies and one from ex-M&Mers :D

Sweet, we have a dedicated host!

I want to believe we can muster 3 or more, but 2 is more realistic judging from the level of interest so far :) 1 from ex-Amazons and allies and one from ex-M&Mers :D

When the time is right we will put up a good CFC frontpage announcement and this will generate some interest. If we have some core players already assigned to between 4 to 6 CFC teams then all someone has to do is check out the thread and sign up for the team of their choice. As a goal I think we should try to form 4 solid CFC teams with core players and then fill them up as people trickle in. These CFC teams will be in addition to the teams that will be formed on other sites.

@ Bowsling- I see your point, but we recently finished a Diplogame at Apolyton called DoE (Destiny of Empires), that had tech trades off but it still collapsed over... you guessed it... "unbreakable alliances. I mean like Q, you might want to leave, but you can't because its suicide, or like India in DoE, you want to stay independent but then the alliances steamroll you. Or like Sirius, you defect, but then you get dogpiled and forced back in.

Its a complex problem, that's all I'm saying. We cant assume we can just click "No Tech Trading" and it will just go away. I'm not sure what the solution is, other than fixed alliances.

Tech Trading Off doesn't completely solve the unbreakable alliances problem, but it certainly helps mitigate it. It also prevents the situation where the only way to keep up is to enter a tech trading alliance.

A very simple mod can severely reduce the issues of tech parity: increasing the known tech bonus. Vanilla BtS is +30% research rate if all teams know a tech. Up that to 65% or 100% and weaker civs still have a good chance of keeping up, albeit a few techs behind (but not an era behind). The tech leaders still get to lead by a few, but they won't leave weaker civs in the dust.

We tried 100% in one or two games, and it seemed to work out well. It also increases the rate of teching in general, which will speed up the game a bit and keep things progressing well.

DoF and DoE2. G&H and DoE1 were 30%.

We'll see how it works in DoE2. Obviously, some civs were quite a bit behind in tech compared to Egypt/Carthage, but imagine that without the bonus...

You can always go higher than 100% to reduce it further. I am not really sure what a "sweet spot" is for that. All I know is it didn't ruin the top techers in DoF from keeping ahead of the pack,though up until my-Otts' fateful decision to invade Bulgaria I was managing to stick within 1 era of them, as was Portugal and Hungary iirc, though there were a few stragglers...

G&H also has 100% bonus. (it means if every other civ knows the tech you are researching you get +100% beakers. not a bi deal, because if you are so behind your research rate is probably low. it helps that weaker civs don1t fall behind too much)

Free techtrade in multi games is unthinkable for several reasons, so NO.

Ah, so it does. For some reason I thought it didn't. Good thing for me :)

If you guys wanted to use something completely screwball you could use this mod. It uses the same idea you are talking about here, increasing the known tech bonus. Tech trading got rebalanced there, though it's tended to work best with AI diplomacy. That's where players can't chat with or email each other, but can propose deals in game. It also solved the unbreakable alliances problem that have been seen over the past 2 demogames.

BTW, anyone having registration at http://www.civforum.de ? Or you guys know someone from it so I can send him a PM?
I do. I'm not sure if my German is good enough though, I may have to ask someone else from the Civ3 ISDG.
I do too. Did you end up contacting anyone there, Bowsling? If not, I could try getting in contact with some of the Civ4 folks... been a while, but some names I recognize are still active.

:) I cant help myself smile over the impact on the game the silent fear from the almighty Amazons and our over-aggressive and skillful on the diplo-front Captain Sommerswerd have caused :)

Anyway, I am actively advertising the MTDG3 over different civ4 MP communities and for now it seems like we will have teams from:

- RealmsBeyond
- Apolyton

awaiting reaction from:

- WePlayCiv
- the Polish community
- the Spanish community of Apolyton

Had written an invitation to the SGOTM teams here at CFC, but not a single reply after 70+ views of the thread. Lets see if we can get the SP crowd take the challenge and measure up against humans.

Will write invitation to The League too.

Things start to move at speed I think. :)

Yes I am in the process of contacting our key Civ4 leaders to see if we can get a team together for this at CivPlayers Leagues.

I really think that after the dust has settled, and we have what we think is the final team count that we create a new thread for the teams to discuss settings. Doing so now is premature and makes the thread hard to read :-/

CS

The guys from RB proposed their services and are ready for hosting too. They are really concerned about the mapmaker though.
Well I think we already have our host, Caledorn, so recruiting RB seems like going backwards. What I would suggest is Caledorn should offer a game right now, so he can make sure everything is working. That way by the time the Team Game starts any bugs will be worked out. You can host multiple games at once, I do it all the time.:)

:lol:LOL azzaman... Your postcount:eek: Do you have similar numbers on multiple boards?

@ Ozzy mzprox & azzaman- Tech trade off isn't better, its just different. It puts more weight on what goes on between allies outside of the game (Diplo & treaties) than what allies do in the game (micro, tactics, unit swaps, upgrades, etc). Anyway I'm ready to try something different, and so I agree that tech trades should be off for this game.

@ Krill- Just my preference of course, but I like playing humans precisely because they don't play like the AI. I would be unhappy with rules that forced me to play like AI.

@ bowsling - I read your team thread. Thanks for getting the ball rolling, its always tough to be the first. I would like to see others ideas before picking a team as ultimately its all about dedicated players. Rules and roles dissapate quickly when your team has only a few (or one) dedicated player left.

I think its important for those forming teams to promise that they will stick with it and serve as turnplayers to the bitter end if necessary. That's a must IMO.

Top Bottom