Guess the New Civs

I am sorry to say but no. When you burned down the White House you were a British colony, tell me if I am wrong but you still revere the queen as your monarch. The telephone was invented by a Scottish inventor in America. The world economy relies on the partly on the United States. Not to mention we invented the automobile, airplane, and light bulb (there is much more than that). We also invented major new music forms such as Jazz and Rock and Roll. How could you say Canada beats America
:nono:no canada did invent the telephone in canada brantford ontario by a scottish man who's name escapes me, you are right on the colony but we were still canadians and wasn't talking about the economy if you read my first message.:crazyeye:

Moderator Action: Please return to the discussion of "Guess the New civs". If you wish to further discuss the America versus Canada issue, please take it to the History section of the forum. Last warning.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

i started this post before the warning was given.
Moderator Action: That was the second warning, it should not have been needed. Enough is enough!
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

to be fair, the phone being invented in ontario is only one story. people also say that it was invented in new jersey.
either way, if you claim the telephone, you can't also claim basketball. the dude who invented basketball was born in canada, but he did it while living in the united states. alexander graham bell was born in edinburgh.

So,what are the standards to determine what would be the last 3 remaining civs?

Well,

We have the Carthage, Byzantines, The Huns, The Netherlands, the Celts and the Mayans.

So, from what I see, no major African Natiosn, no Asian nations (unless you wanna consider the Huns as an Asian nation), and no Northern America Nation.

Well,

We have the Carthage, Byzantines, The Huns, The Netherlands, the Celts and the Mayans.

So, from what I see, no major African Natiosn, no Asian nations (unless you wanna consider the Huns as an Asian nation), and no Northern America Nation.

well, carthage can go either way between being considered african and middle eastern. of course, if they keep the african and middle eastern city skins the same, that won't really matter.
and the maya are from central america, which is considered part of north america, but i digress.

i'd expect at least one more civilization from africa. maybe also something from asia, although the only two things i can think of from asia are the khazars and tibet, the khazars had most of the same land as attila and i'm not too interested in tibet at all.

India isn't a civilisation. It is a subcontinent and a nation state. Your definition of India would include pakistan, and if you asked the devs whether or not india in game represents pakistan they would likely run away.

Also better india civs:
Marathan
Mughal
Maurya

The India in this game makes about as much sense as calling it the deccan plateau, from a history point of view at least.

The issue of narrow, imperial definitions of civs was what that last post was trying to get around. As for the Pakistan issue, Lahore and Karachi are included on the city list.

Moderator Action: Please do not ignore moderator warnings.

The issue of narrow, imperial definitions of civs was what that last post was trying to get around. As for the Pakistan issue, Lahore and Karachi are included on the city list.

Touche my friend...

Which makes it all the more confusing exactly what it is India in this game represents... Maybe India in the early 40's under the end of British rule? Would make sense with Gandhi.

But we digress, since more Indian civs are almost certainly near the bottom of any list firaxis has.

South East Asia is vastly under represented at the moment so i'm expecting a civ definitely from there. Sub Saharan Africa too, so there's a second.

Third eludes me, though i would hope they would add another from Asia, seeing as how huge and more significant than Europe it is and always has been.

Moderator Action: Please do not ignore moderator warnings.

i don't know about "always has been," since europe was the most important continent in the world for at least a few hundred years, but i guess that's kind of a moot point

Europe was desperately trying to control Asia (and in a number of cases couldn't) precisely because it was so important. Europe may have had a stronger military and more expansionary aspirations for a few hundred years but this doesn't make it more important.

Thus, Asia should have many more civs coming.

i guess that depends on what your definition of what "more important" is. either way, there really aren't too many more civilizations left in asia that either don't overlap or aren't really all that important. like i said before, i can only think of one from east asia and i highly doubt that they'll add tibet. there are a few more from west and central asia, but most of them overlap too much.
though there's still indonesia.

I can see a few candidates from Asia:

From the Indochina Pennisula, either the Khmer, Champa, or Vietnam, as even though all three were significant empires there's really no need to add more than one of those three.

From Indonesia, the Majapahit or Srivijaya (again don't need both)

From Central Asia, the Timurids and/or the Khazars

From South Asia-East Asia, Tibet

And if you want to include the Near East:

The ancient Fertile crescent can use some more representation, so either Sumer, Akkad, or Assyria, and I wouldn't mind the Hittites (Anatolia)

Each of those groups are distinct enough from each other while still being historically important to warrant inclusion.

I can see a few candidates from Asia:

From the Indochina Pennisula, either the Khmer, Champa, or Vietnam, as even though all three were significant empires there's really no need to add more than one of those three.

From Indonesia, the Majapahit or Srivijaya (again don't need both)

From Central Asia, the Timurids and/or the Khazars

From South Asia-East Asia, Tibet

And if you want to include the Near East:

The ancient Fertile crescent can use some more representation, so either Sumer, Akkad, or Assyria, and I wouldn't mind the Hittites (Anatolia)

Each of those groups are distinct enough from each other while still being historically important to warrant inclusion.
like i said before, there's way too much overlap with most of them. siam, champa, khmer and vietnam all take up that one peninsula. i can see vietnam being in civ 6 or 7, but not this game. the timurids are way too similar to the mongols. the khazars, tibet and indonesia, i already mentioned. and not only would you "not need" both indonesians, but it would make no sense. it'd be better to just have them both represented. and mesopotamia has lots of overlap, too.

like i said before, there's way too much overlap with most of them. siam, champa, khmer and vietnam all take up that one peninsula. i can see vietnam being in civ 6 or 7, but not this game. the timurids are way too similar to the mongols. the khazars, tibet and indonesia, i already mentioned. and not only would you "not need" both indonesians, but it would make no sense. it'd be better to just have them both represented. and mesopotamia has lots of overlap, too.

The Timurids are actually pretty distinct from the Mongols due to their adoption of Islam and assimilation of Persian courtly culture. They're as different from the other steppe civs in their own way as the Khazars are. Also, I'd argue it's not better to have an Indonesian civ over either Majapahit or Srivijaya. There were pretty distinct historically. It's bad enough we have Polynesia amalgamating at least two distinct cultures and several distinct empires/civs, or maybe we should go back to the Native America of Civ IV instead of the Iroquois? The fertile crescent is also of such historical importance that another civ can easily deserve to get it in (especially since it has no standard in-game representation, only as DLC). It hasn't stopped both Sumer and Babylon being in the same game in the past. I'll give you that Siam kinda fills the slot of Khmer-Champa-Viet but they are as distinct as several of the European civs that people argue for. You can also add Scythia to the list.

The Timurids are actually pretty distinct from the Mongols due to their adoption of Islam and assimilation of Persian courtly culture. They're as different from the other steppe civs in their own way as the Khazars are. Also, I'd argue it's not better to have an Indonesian civ over either Majapahit or Srivijaya. There were pretty distinct historically. It's bad enough we have Polynesia amalgamating at least two distinct cultures and several distinct empires/civs, or maybe we should go back to the Native America of Civ IV instead of the Iroquois? The fertile crescent is also of such historical importance that another civ can easily deserve to get it in (especially since it has no standard in-game representation, only as DLC). It hasn't stopped both Sumer and Babylon being in the same game in the past. I'll give you that Siam kinda fills the slot of Khmer-Champa-Viet but they are as distinct as several of the European civs that people argue for. You can also add Scythia to the list.

Its not like anyone plays much on a TSL world map anyway. I used to but its bugged all to hell. I hated having to save my game every two turns. Why not have a few more distinct civs. Although I do feel the Sioux should be added, two Native American tribes would be ok in my book. I would not mind seeing Akkad (Who had chariots in and two wheel varieties, pulled by usually four onagers.), or the Hittites, with their bigger heavier chariots to face Egypt. I would also like to see the Burmese added to fight Siam. That would be cool. Bang Rajan! :yup:

Top Bottom