How do some people win Science Pre T250?

I'm no pro, but I still have a hard time understanding how you're getting this entire strat set up without having good fortune. I noticed on your Sub 200 win, all of your cities are on mountains, you had a desert start with presumably desert faith, and there are CS chokes between you and your neighbors. That seems like a fortunate setup imo.

Well for sub 200t obviously you need good start, but not for sub 250t

It's hard for me to imagine finishing Liberty,
Rationalism, 6 points Freedom, and 2 points Commerce. That's an immense amount of culture in only 200 turns. Were you getting easy culture CS quests? Did you invest in early guilds? I know you said to bank your writers and artists, but I did that in my games with early guild slots and I still couldn't even finish Rationalism while simultaneously reaching 3rd tier Freedom.

Winning WF (on first vote) is helpful for it (and you want TRADITION)

I would need a video to help me understand turn-by-turn what exactly is the player doing to turn such a start into a sub-250 win.
I didn't make any LPs, but check Acken's LPs - I'm sure you find sth interesting in it
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=533320

Some of these videos are so long to watch. I often fall asleep when I even try to watch them. How do you guys learn strategies from watching videos?

Iron - Sorry, I meant to say Tradition. I was just watching some of the FilthyRobot 1v1 duels and he said Liberty like every other word while commentating.

I skimmed some of those vids and there's alot of good starts from what I can see. He definitely seems like an intensely thorough and skilled player, but I want to see a not-so-good start. So far I've seen

Spain finding cultural ruin, first to find religious CS, first to find Kili, million desert hill cap within 4 turns.

Inca with isolated mountain/hill/river cities and neighboring culture CS.

Poland with mountain/river cap and Uluru expand.

Maya isolated start on desert/river/mountain, desert faith, petra.

Now clearly he's still very skilled, and I'll be taking notes after I watch the videos more closely, but the vids I've skimmed all have very strong starts, and literally every game hes had a mountain start. I'm not taking away from what he's done, as even with a 4 mountain/petra/ToA empire I couldn't get it done faster than turn 275, so I clearly have much to learn from these videos.

But I'm still wanting to see a video of a bad start. Saying that you don't need a good start to win sub-250 is still hard to believe for me. Seeing somebody roll a no river/no mountain/no desert cap with aggressive neighbors on each end and still win sub250 would be supremely entertaining.

I get where you are coming from. I haven't seen a sub-T250 victory on what I would consider an average map. Everyone's definition is different but I play the first map I get always, and I'm sure in the last ten games there was never a mountain for my capital.

Not playing on deity could be hurting you. On deity you can take gold loans from AIs as they have a ton of gold. You can use this to rush buy science buildings which frees up production for you to pursue culture buildings if that's where you are falling behind. You do need guilds out early. You can also buy cultural CS if you are lucky enough to have a few. The RAs are also better on deity because the AI is likely to have as much science or more than you.

I would also be incredibly interested in Ironfighter doing an LP on a regular, bad map (on his first try, knowing nothing of the map of course). In fact the worse map the better. Could be very educational to many people.

Jungles anyone? I'm bored of science games, but I've noticed that cities surrounded by many jungle tiles can be turned into science farms.

At least in G&K, during conquest games, I've noticed that if you conquer a jungle city with 12 + population, you can boost science massively. If you get 2 or three such cities, you can fly through the tech tree without ever having a particular emphasis on science.

Jungles anyone? I'm bored of science games, but I've noticed that cities surrounded by many jungle tiles can be turned into science farms.

At least in G&K, during conquest games, I've noticed that if you conquer a jungle city with 12 + population, you can boost science massively. If you get 2 or three such cities, you can fly through the tech tree without ever having a particular emphasis on science.

Yeah that's right, jungles with trading posts and rationalism can make good science particularly with NC and observatory next to a mountain. Use a great scientist to build academies, why not? They make better science than jungle tiles.

Yeah that's right, jungles with trading posts and rationalism can make good science particularly with NC and observatory next to a mountain. Use a great scientist to build academies, why not? They make better science than jungle tiles.

In conquest games, I usually only open Rationalism (to buy 1-3 GSs with faith), but I still get a ton of science from jungle cities at times. This can be a difference maker at Immortal.

You must still be playing G&K. In BNW, you have to finish Rationalism to buy GSs with faith.

In conquest games, I usually only open Rationalism (to buy 1-3 GSs with faith), but I still get a ton of science from jungle cities at times. This can be a difference maker at Immortal.

Or you could use to the glory of god reformation belief to buy GSs but you need to have full piety tree completed and have made your own religion.

Set yourself goals for completing science buildings and adopting ideologies. I play on quick speed so I'll use years, but generally I'll get NC in three/four cities preferably before 800BC, uni's before 100AD, public schools before 1000AD, ideology before 1200AD, and research labs before 1550AD. Not sure if it's before turn 250 on standard, but the best science victory I've gotten was at 1735AD

Top Bottom