Is there any scenario in which you see yourself taking right side of liberty 1st?

Bliss

Warlord
Title says it all.

For myself, I can imagine a scenario where my capital has a good start position and after some decent scouting I realize that I have a continent "just for myself"*, so I can delay the expansion and improve my capital a bit (and taking -33% policy cost increase before expansion would make it a dream.

*The continent may be just a huge island or landmass well protected by mountains, so I can block the entrance of the dreamland with maybe 1 hardworked settler.

No. Early expansion is always better as long as you have the happiness -- more turns for the other cities to grow and produce stuff.

The settler construction bonus is greatly offset by the extra growth, border growth and hapiness Tradition provides. Not to mention the 4 free monuments which will help you snowball early culture production.

I also like to settle at lteast 5 tiles apart since I love going tall, so realistically there can't be more than 5 good spots to settle.

Maybe if I was Carthage.

To favor growth and settle cities that will produce good gold (free harbor) immediately? And for sure the +1 hapiness. I wasn't thinking about taking Meritocracy, just Representation. Good point.

Is there any scenario in which you see yourself taking right side of liberty 1st?

I have always wondered about the maths for this. But are you talking about (1) the right side of Liberty 1st, then the rest of the Liberty? Or (2) the right side of Liberty and then Tradition? The 2nd one would be obviously sub-optimal, no matter the map, and seems to me to be how responders are interpreting the question.

OP, maybe try it both ways and report back? I agree with you that the isolated start gives you an opportunity to experiment a bit. I really wish Liberty was a more linear tree (not unlike Tradition is now) because I almost always struggle with the free worker/settler question.

I have always wondered about the maths for this. But are you talking about (1) the right side of Liberty 1st, then the rest of the Liberty? Or (2) the right side of Liberty and then Tradition? The 2nd one would be obviously sub-optimal, no matter the map, and seems to me to be how responders are interpreting the question.

OP, maybe try it both ways and report back? I agree with you that the isolated start gives you an opportunity to experiment a bit. I really wish Liberty was a more linear tree (not unlike Tradition is now) because I almost always struggle with the free worker/settler question.

I meant 1st option. 2nd one looks very bad haha :thumbdown:

About the isolated start, I wonder if finishing NC before the collective rule would fix the always-mentioned-liberty-problem in higher difficulties.

I would start using liberty as soon as I can. In the next scenario that I would be in which is a usual random map. The traditional start has become really easy and redundant, I'm beginning to feel that liberty is a way better challenge than tradition particularly in the lower difficulties such as king or emperor even..

Of course there is, check the Huns DCL map

Huns start with animal husbandry and get +1 :c5production: per pasture, so if anyone is going to benefit from an early worker it would be them. They problem is it's usually just as easy for them to steal a worker or two by the time you can take this policy but if there are enough forests around to chop, I can definitely see this being worth it to crank out some horse archers and conquer your first opponent, especially if you get a battering ram from a ruin. With the right start that's a lot of production really fast.

There are situations where I take the free worker before heading down the left side of the tree, but no more than that. (I'm pretty much addicted to Tradition opener, Liberty Opener, Finish Liberty as Needed as my early culture strategy, unless I'm playing a strictly domination civ.) For Carthage I am actually much more insistent on taking the left side of Liberty first, because getting out settlers as fast as possible (while hopefully landing the GL on difficulties where that is still possible) is so important for Carthage. Good coastal spots get eaten up early.

Huns start with animal husbandry and get +1 :c5production: per pasture, so if anyone is going to benefit from an early worker it would be them. They problem is it's usually just as easy for them to steal a worker or two by the time you can take this policy but if there are enough forests around to chop, I can definitely see this being worth it to crank out some horse archers and conquer your first opponent, especially if you get a battering ram from a ruin. With the right start that's a lot of production really fast.

you're spot on, word by word :)

the only problem is that I really suck at warmongering so I can never execute that well

The huns could top off well with liberty. I've been in many cases with The Huns as the huns and against The Hunsso many times that its sstarting to seem like the Huns are part of the most over used civilizations in multiplayer. I've used honor with them and they do pretty good even with the horse archers. They could do good against composite bowmen even. Early horses archers can continue moving on to other civilizations quick.

Here is a tip, never build a monument in your first four cities, just go down tradition and along the way you get legalism, which will provide you a free monument in your first four cities.

Top Bottom