Problem w/ HOF Mod

LyricalAssassin

Warlord
Hey all. I've just got a new machine and wanted to start up the HOF GOTM, but can't seem to get the dang HOF mod to work. I've downloaded it, but every time I fire the game up, it says that it's not a valid mod destination, and it won't show up on my mods list in game. Anyone know where I've gone wrong?

Stupid question: After you downloaded the Mod, did you install it?

It should appear as a directory in your Civilization 4 installation path's \Mods\HOF-1.74.004 directory.

Also, do you have Beyond the Sword? If not:
If you have not installed BtS, you will need to update the relevant DLL files in order to match the Locked Assets checks. These are available here.

Failing those things, you can try some of the things mentioned here, which may help even if you are only using Civ 4 Vanilla:
Help with installing BUFFY thread

Note that if you have installed Windows 10, and you aren't using Steam or another form of direct download, and therefore you need to put in a CD/DVD to run Civ 4 Vanilla, you're currently out of luck:
Yes, it looks like there is a serious problem with Windows 10 - if anyone intends to play this game or any GOTMs or WOTMs in the near future, do not upgrade to Windows 10.

Try running the game as Administrator. It may be that Windows can't see inside the folder that has BUFFY in it due to protection levels. Running as Administrator solves that.

Try running the game as Administrator. It may be that Windows can't see inside the folder that has BUFFY in it due to protection levels. Running as Administrator solves that.

I've already tried that, along with creating a separate Steam library in my user documents. I've uninstalled and reinstalled both CivIV and BTS (they're separate on Steam). I followed almost every tip or trick the thread gave, but nothing seems to work. It recognizes the folder, but it says that I'm not an administrator even though I've set every Steam file to run as Admin and I only have one profile on my rig. I think it may be an issue with Steam or Windows 8...

If Civ IV Vanilla and BtS are installed separately, maybe you will need the linked Civ_BtS_DLLs.zip to play Vanilla?

Is it possible to place a Steam install completely outside Program Files and your user documents areas? Windows can place extra restrictions on files that get placed in such "special" locations. For example, can you install to C:\Civ4\ or somewhere like that?

Have you tried running Civ IV in compatibility mode? Perhaps try Windows 7 compatibility mode, if that option exists, or Win XP, if Win 7 doesn't exist. Presumably, if you create a Windows Shortcut, you can right-click on the Shortcut, choose Properties, and then on the Compatibility tab select one of those Operating Systems along with running the program as an administrator.

Steam has changed how they install so the registry keys the Mod needs are missing. We're working on a solution.

Hello,

After upgrading to Win10 and moving over to the Steam versions of Civ IV and finding that I cannot run the HoF and BUFFY mods, I have come across your hopeful post. Thanks for trying to find a solution!

Thanks for the prompt - you need to run the beta version of BTS from Steam, will try and find the instructions but basically from your Steam library you right click and opt in to the beta (which is actually the older version of BTS!).

Top Bottom