Wtf the Soldiers from XCOM: Enemy Unknown are in this game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.dndjunkie.com/civilopedia/UNIT_XCOM_SQUAD.aspx

I guess they felt having a "Giant Death Robot" wasn't silly enough.

Seriously Firaxis, why do you do this?

I know its not a huge big of a deal, but it gets on my nerves to when my immersion is damaged because they decided to throw something ridiculous into the game like the Giant Death Robot or in this case.....the soldiers from XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Do you feel that they make a good addition to the game?

I know its not a huge big of a deal, but it gets on my nerves to when my immersion is damaged because they decided to throw something ridiculous into the game like the Giant Death Robot or in this case.....the soldiers from XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

You mean like when they made Machine Guns upgrade into a WW2 Bazooka?

Well what would you call them? Super Paratroopers?
But then we'd just be referencing an ABBA song. :lol:

You know this was announced back at PAX In the Spring, right?

I think they are a good addition to the game. Besides that fact that they are called XCOM is there any other reason why you don't like them? Their function is to be an upgrade to the paratrooper and they fill that role quite nicely. I suppose they could be called "Spec Ops" or something similar but that's neither here nor there. They fill the gap and add more variety in late game.

The late game of the game is techs that we haven't discovered yet. Its not crazy to have some units we don't have in real life at the end of the tech tree.

People have had a long time to get over this. Interesting that the OP did not contemplate that such might be the case.

Civilization is a highly abstract game with lots un-immersive nonsense. You just learn to overlook the stuff that was there when you started playing the game.

This is a major deal breaker for me. I had to stop watching many final episodes of various BNW Let's Plays even.

Yes, I know that Civ is abstract, but adding in a unit taken from another game (yes I know they are made by the same developers) just breaks the immersion completely, especially one from an M-rated game.

Yes, I know that they can be modded out, but even then that unit makes me cringe.

This is much worse than Shoshone Giant Death Robots with their extra movement point when upgraded from Comanche Riders.

I know that they are at very much at the very end of the tech tree, but even then do they rarely make a difference between winning and losing in most games (and sometimes they are never even built). Just its very existence alone makes me very annoyed.

Yes, I know that most can live with it, just not me.

I had no idea this was something people got angry about. I thought it was a funny nod to a great game, while also providing a good upgrade to a unit.

Moderator Action: We had this discussion quite some time ago when we found out about this addition. If you wish to discuss it again, please go ahead, but keep it civil or it will be closed.

People have had a long time to get over this. Interesting that the OP did not contemplate that such might be the case.

Civilization is a highly abstract game with lots un-immersive nonsense. You just learn to overlook the stuff that was there when you started playing the game.

I wasn't aware that it had been, since I don't spend all my time on the Civ forums. In fact, I haven't been on the forums for a long time and only showed up again recently after BNW was released.

I don't really mind. Maybe it's my love of paratroopers in civ 5 and in real life, maybe it's my like of firaxis, or maybe it's because I never get that far down the tech tree anyway before winning, but I can wholeheartedly say I don't really care about the X-coms.

Love sci-fi paratroopers in Civ V? Good for you.

Love sci-fi paratroopers who throw F-bombs? Good for you.

Find shooting malevolent extraterrestrials with extraterrestrial weaponry fun? Good for you.

For me, this unit is the feature that broke the camel's back.

If I want sci-fi strategy games, I would rather play StarCraft II or Endless Space instead. Both do not require ID to purchase in North America. If I want to play a game based on real life history with some liberties (that do not include obvious crossovers from other games), I would play Civ.

I have zero interest in playing the game where the unit is originally from. I am not a prude, but can be prudish at times.

There is a very good reason why this very addition is a base breaker: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/YMMV/Civilization

Find shooting malevolent extraterrestrials fun? Good for you.

If I want sci-fi strategy games, I would rather play StarCraft II or Endless Space instead. Both do not require ID to purchase in North America. If I want to play a game based on real life history with some liberties (that do not include crossovers from other games), I would play Civ.

There is a very good reason why this very addition is a base breaker: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/YMMV/Civilization

Technically you are playing a sci-fi game when you get to the information era, as we haven't even "finished" the information era IRL. :p

XCOM squads and Giant Death Robots are well within possibility within the next 50 - 100 years.

Love sci-fi paratroopers who throw F-bombs? Good for you.

Find shooting malevolent extraterrestrials with extraterrestrial weaponry fun? Good for you.

If I want sci-fi strategy games, I would rather play StarCraft II or Endless Space instead. Both do not require ID to purchase in North America. If I want to play a game based on real life history with some liberties (that do not include obvious crossovers from other games), I would play Civ.

I have zero interest in playing the game where the unit is originally from. I am not a prude, but can be prudish at times.

If I wanted to relive history, I'd read a book. I don't want to play some lampshaded Fukuyama reference, wherein history ends in 1991.

What you or I want doesn't really matter though. The game has science fiction elements. These games always have: You literally have an ending where you build a spaceship and fly to Alpha Centauri. Civ has always had that feature. It also has SDI, which has never been successfully implemented in real life. Ergo, science fiction.

More than that, you have realities where Montezuma could be leading legions of Aztec tanks to attack America. In Civ IV, you'd have things like Julius Caesar inviting you to Rome for some Caesar Salad. I'm sorry if VTOL deployed special forces break your suspension of disbelief. But if you're that upset about this, clearly you haven't been paying attention.

I have a solution for OP: win earlier, and never see GDR's or XCOM's. I've only had one game out of hundreds go that late without someone winning.

To be fair to the game design though, it's either include Future Tech and do a bit of speculating, or have the game world stop in July 09, 2013 (day of release). I'm glad they allow us to go a little beyond today.

You are playing a game about the advancement of civilization. I'm lead to believe civilization will continue to advance past where we are now. It's not "immersion breaking" to have futuristic units in the future eras of this game. The balance of said units is another story, which doesn't seem to be the main source of irritation here.

This was announced ages ago...regardless though who cares. It's a fun new unit to mess around with. It's a bit of added humor. I don't see why two units would completely break your immersion. No one knows what future military technology will hold so why not have a little fun with it? Having mechs and laser canon wielding paratroopers is a fun prediction of the future in my opinion. I think people are honestly just mad about the names and the origins of these units. Sure giant death robot isn't the classiest name but it's just for fun. The xcom unit is fun too. If it was named Mech Warrior or Lasertrooper people wouldn't have an issue. It's sort of a nod to another firaxis title. I think it's a fun addition, I have no issue with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom