2x his tourism yet he's winning?

Falconiano

Prince

I have almost double his tourism, Souleiman is my friend/ally with same ideology, yet Zulu makes me have dissindents while he seems immune to my tourism.
Unless this is some deity penalty but I don't think so.

Note that:
- I am congress leader with substantially more delegates than Zulu
- My religion is world religion (+50% tourism in capital)

As you can see I dont mind unhappiness but I just don't accept that I'm winning the culture race YET he doesn't have dissindents.

Do I need to do something to make my tourism affect him?

Hard to tell from that SS. Also need information like his influential levels and yours. Tourism per turn doesn't only matter. Its total tourism compared to total culture. If you skipped the whole culture bit and have little thus hes has a higher influential level then you, then his ideological pressure on you will be greater.

I.E. if hes rated at popular to you and your rated familiar to him, his ideological pressure will be 1 against you.

your culture defends against his tourism, and vice versa. If you have only recently ramped up tourism production and have low culture for much of the game, he will still have more influence on you until your tourism catches up.

You have to look at the other screen that shows all the culture vs. tourism stuff. If you are at same level with each other, or your influence on them is a higher level than their influence on you, you won't be affected by their ideology. In fact in that case you would start causing them unhappiness.

What dragonmaster said.

The easiest explanation is that the Zulu have had far longer to get a Tourism lead on you. If your Tourism just suddently increased, this can very well happen. Over time, this will change if the above is accurate.

Did you raise your tourism a lot in a hurry? Ideological pressure depends on how influential the cultures are on each other, which builds up over time. Obviously your raw tourism output is relevant for that, but it can take a while to see results. The above picture suggests the Zulu have been winning the culture war for some time and you need to make up for how far behind you've gotten.
For faster relief, try to make Order the world ideology. It sounds like you can pull that off, and the result will be significant ideological pressure for Order on everyone.

edit: wow, triple ninja'd

If you can show the screener for influence by player it would help. Also hover your mouse over "Dissidents" for more info.

Also, I you have high tourism output, you probably have high culture right?

Where do I see the influential level and what do I have to do?
Sorry but this game does nothing at all to explain these concepts.
Do I have to set trade routes with him or convert his cities?

Click on "Influence by Player", top-right in that screenshot. Basically it's your all-time sum Tourism vs his all-time sum Culture. The greater the percentage, the better your influence against him. Trade routes and open borders help. Having the same majority religion helps too.

it's called "influence by player" in that same window.

mouse over everything and the tooltips provide a lot of info

Influential level is on that same menu, but its the last option. It will have bar graphs of all of the different civs, it should be on your civ by default in the drop down. It will tell you what you are compared to them ( unknown, exotic, popular) etc

Just saw your post.

Notice how you are unknown to the Zulu? If you switch the top tab to Ottomans I believe you will see they are higher than unknown with the Zulu. This means that the Zulu have been subject to their tourism LONGER than yours so you are being affected by Zulu culture while they are OK with it since they have built up some influence with them already.

The happiness is based on differences of influence levels. So if they are both exotic with each other, they don't effect each other. If they are exotic to you, and you are unknown to them, you will see some unhappiness.

looks like Zulu has pretty strong culture but relatively weaker tourism.

but all you have to do is hit 10% (hover over "unknown") and the happiness will go away. Try buying his open borders or setting up a trade route if possible, both will boost your tourism against him by 25%, turning that negative 9 percent modifier to positive 41 percent.

You may also want to get the theming bonuses up in Amsterdam. You have 2 writing slots you may be able to get some free culture by shifting your great works around.

That last screen shot explains it (but also change the civ on that screen to the Zulus to take a look at his influence, and you will see his tourism vs. your culture).

The influence is based on TOTAL tourism vs. TOTAL culture, over the whole game.

So even though you have high tourism now, his influence over you is about his total tourism vs. your CULTURE.

So as people said, you can have low culture for most of the game and be vulnerable to tourism late, even if you ramp up the tourism late.

It also means that you can go as wide as you want and still get a culture victory, which I like.

Just saw your post.

Notice how you are unknown to the Zulu? If you switch the top tab to Ottomans I believe you will see they are higher than unknown with the Zulu. This means that the Zulu have been subject to their tourism LONGER than yours so you are being affected by Zulu culture while they are OK with it since they have built up some influence with them already.

The happiness is based on differences of influence levels. So if they are both exotic with each other, they don't effect each other. If they are exotic to you, and you are unknown to them, you will see some unhappiness.

Alright so how do I make sure my tourism is working against them?
I have open borders, trade routes and working on flipping one of his cities' religion to mine.

The problem is those things also give bonus to his influence to me :/

Alright so how do I make sure my tourism is working against them?
I have open borders, trade routes and working on flipping one of his cities' religion to mine.

The problem is those things also give bonus to his influence to me :/

Well yes, One thing I do to get bonuses with culture civs is to get open borders from him in exchange for gpt so he doesn't get that open borders bonus.

yep. buy open borders with gold instead of trading for your own open borders. That way the 25% boost only goes 1 way.

Ok I fixed it. Diplomat in cap, OB, trade - in a few turns Order is World Ideology and he's screwed.

One problem remains though; what if he DoWed me?
I wouldn't be able to open border/trade/diplomat.
Luckily this wasn't the case but if that happens in a game you're screwed :/

Oh also I discovered, send ALL your musicians to the cultural runaway and bulb them, it will boost you significantly (like 2800 tourism per pop), and you will surpass him.

Top Bottom