SGOTM 15 - Xteam

I am starting to work on that now. Have implimented most of the tentative plan and made the moves on the eastern front as discussed above. I am about to declare on Egypt, move units into Hat's territory, press Enter, and see what the AI does . . .

Will report when events dictate or late tonight, whichever comes first.

Got to work on that Haha, I mean Haka, leif. Didn’t seem to do me much good.

Implemented plan as discussed and played two turns. Made some progress, but rng could have been kinder; moreover, we are now not only at war with Hat and Ham but with Cyrus as well, thanks to an egregious mis-click that killed one of his scouts. Doubt there will be short-term military problems as a result (Cyrus seems to be a ways away), but concerned about diplomatic effects. No choice but to curse, offer an embarrassed apology, carry on and report:

Turn 159
Implement plan, including DOW against Egypt, which brings significant war weariness and now not connected to much of trade network (had not considered that possibility, but don’t think we had much choice) – running a 58gpt deficit.

IBT
Ham does not follow the test pattern but moves all units onto the grass NW of Pat (where they will have to be attacked before they attack us)
Hat advances leaving some vulnerable units while capturing a worker

T160
Maneuver carefully in Egypt (well, not carefully enough – kill Persian scout), taking out a pike and a cat without losses and continuing to try and lure him onto a killing field.
Destroyed all of Ham’s stack outside of Pat (3 knights, 4 maces, two cats, and 2 chariots) but lost 6 cats and 3 crosses in the process
Advance a worker as a scout and spot a large stack of Ham’s units sans knights on the wheat – probably going to have to retreat and try and lure him in again
Got a GG in Osaka, who is being moved to Pat. Opinions on best use: add to city; create another supermedic for western front; or use for promotions (particularly siege units)Build wealth in Var and Osaka and delete two workers (loosing units helps too), bringing gpt loss down to 45

IBT
Our spy outed in Mongolia
Hat advances on Thebes as hoped
Ham moves stack toward Pat and a bab knight appears on the wheat

T161
Attack Hat north of Thebes. Lose 2 cats, an axe, a sword, and a cross, plus have to leave some units vulnerable next turn. Destroy 2 HAs, 2 crosses, 1 WE, 4 trebs, 1 war chariot, and an axe
Advance on Helios
Retreat from Ham’s stack, leaving some weak units looking vulnerable
Use the whip and further improve commerce – now loosing just 24gpt

Plan to continue in about 8 hours. Situation seems pretty straightforward for the time being. Would appreciate some input on GG use and any other suggestions.

Save (BTW, there is a treb hidden 1N of Helios, but everything else out there is visible): http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=319313&stc=1&d=1334737001

Attachments

• SGOTM in progress.CivBeyondSwordSave
    334.6 KB · Views: 41
Egypt campaign looks good. :goodjob:
Our power rating is good, she'll collapse soon. I think trebs should be the main build in that region after current builds.

Hammu looks a bit tougher. :mischief:
Good thing he moved forward, agree that RNG could have been more kind. :crazyeye:
Note that there's still no road NE of Opis, so no immediate threat to any of our troops.
Hopefully the stack moves forward to the same grass tile. :)

I would make another super medic of the GG

Suggestions:
Osaka: Whip the xbow this turn
Kyoto: Start treb and whip next turn.

I'll probably skip the Haka this time..... :D

Was just going to start typing and saw that zamint covered all my points already. Think both campaigns look pretty good. :goodjob:

We have to watch out for satsuma though. Got whipped this turn (did you know if it was at pop 4 or 3 last turn by any chance?), so could be facing a CB+WC or something along those line pretty soon in our backyard.

Also, i don't think that we're able to renegotiate our resource deals as we're now worst enemy of the AIs we were trading with. Not sure about that though, if this isn't the case you could try and squeeze out a couple more bucks.

I have the sneaking suspicion that hammu is going straight to gunpowder next. Hopefully we can get that as part of our successful peace negotiations later.

Looks OK for the moment to me CP. The implications of war with Cyrus and longer term effects of economy is all crystal ball gazing and I don't see any crystals balls to look into.... :mischief:

I'm thinking if we can ride out the initial wave of Hammy and Hatty counter attacks we can pick us up several cities quickly thereafter, then hopefully some techs for peace as well. It would not do well to get battered by the initial waves, then get peace without having made significant gains in the war effort. If we can (eventually) grab several cities out of each war, then it will have been worthwhile.

Agree with supermedic.

Keep up the good work. :goodjob:
Looks a bit tense in places... ;)

Will try to dress special for the next haka, maybe it'll help?
This one has women in it as well.

Should provide extra measure of fortune. :)

edit - just for fun, check out this one. The guy in front is great!
LSV march out Haka

That put me in the spirit, leif.

Thanks for the heads up on the whip of Satsuma. Could be an immediate problem. Will whip the cross in Kyoto, not Osaka.

Don't think trying to improve the resource trades are worth the risk.

Going to try to get a turn in before RL intervenes shortly, post an interim save, and try to play several turns this evening.

Good and bad to report:

T161
Whip cross in Kyoto and hit Enter

IBT

Mongols ask for our assistance against Toku. Really don’t want to disappoint them, but note that war weariness is now back up to 41gpt and decide we can’t afford the additional unhappiness. Refuse and Mongols now furious with us. Anticipate war, and they have two keshiks in Alexandria.

Hat attacks foolishly, losing cat and treb and making others vulnerable, though we do lose a sword and suffer some collateral damage.

On the other hand, Ham’s forces cautiously retreat to the wheat and knight disappears (perhaps on the galley headed for the island). Looks like we could have a standoff.

T162
Take out Hat’s two HAs and a WE without losses, advance or heal other units
Spy finds Bab knight hiding, so suspect galley is empty, but could pick up knight and mace on island and deliver them to our mainland, causing trouble
Start trireme in Pat
Heal or fortify units on western front and wait

Queries:
Would it reduce chances of Mongol DOW if we trade him deer for gold?
Have GG in position to make our medic cross into a supermedic. Should I put all the experience points into that one unit (getting double movement, I think) or divide them with another unit?

Queries:
Would it reduce chances of Mongol DOW if we trade him deer for gold? I don't think so.
Have GG in position to make our medic cross into a supermedic. Should I put all the experience points into that one unit (getting double movement, I think) This gets my vote! :) or divide them with another unit?

Go get'm :hammer:

Game has simplified some. Made a little progress against Egypt, none against Babylon. Pleased that war with Persia has not caused any problems so far. (Have had less time than anticipated, so only a few turns done tonight.)

T162
Take advise and do not trade deer to Mongols

IBT
Ham withdraws his forces further west. (Not what I’m used to seeing the AI do. Wonder if he has a spy in our territory.)
Hat's HA and WC show up N of El; treb now in Helios
Loosing 38gpt

T163
Pillage badly needed 41 gold in Egypt and advance troops
Find just a cross and a lb in Satsuma. Think Hat whipped a boat.
Spy spots a total of 3 knights around Borsippa
See no choice but to wait for Ham to advance. He has all the tactical advantage if we do -- that is, he can attack first with multiple siege units followed up by maces and knights in numbers fairly close to ours

IBT
AP vote to make peace with Ham – vote NO (expect to lose), just don't think defiance is worth it. Would prefer to wait Ham out for the usual AI blunder, but he has been playing wisely.
3 caravels suddenly show up in Mari
Hat's HA and WC fade into the fog N of El

T164
Spot 3 knights and 2 trebs back on wheat, but rest of stack is 6 tiles away to the west near the iron
Advance all available troops into Bab territory. Can't fail to take advantage of such an opportunity, but anticipate that it is fruitless
Bombard Helios and advance troops
Build more wealth to get gpt down to 29gpt, treasury holds 85

IBT
Bab knight loses against one of our pikes, then AP resolution to stop Bab war passes 870 to 15, and our forces have to withdraw. [Can attack in 10 turns, and will start a galley in Pat to be able to ferry a few troops to cut off road from Babylon to Opis, then we should be able to take the city.]
Cyrus will make peace for 30 gold – not yet, there is an archer to be killed first, and we may want to wait for more units to arrive in Egypt so that we can destroy them and gain a tech for peace (if they are too powerful, then we make peace before they can do us harm)
Some more units show up in Egyptian cities, including maces, so Hat now has CS

T165
Spy finds Babylon holding Ham’s retreated units
Bombard Helios and advance on Elephantine

Save is below. Will play as much as I can tomorrow in about 8 hours and pause or hand it over. Treasury is going to hold out for a while, but only if we continue to build wealth. If we can take some Egyptian cities, need to make progress toward CoL and creating a GS.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=319395&stc=1&d=1334816649

Attachments

• SGOTM in progress.CivBeyondSwordSave
    337.6 KB · Views: 68
Tough going in Babylon. We need a couple (more?) of galleys at least to get Opis knocked over in the first few turns of a war next time around and then advance from there.

Like the gains in Egypt - we have nearly won there (even we don't have a city yet this time!) I think Egypt will fall over once we push. :) Babylon still looks like a tough cookie though.

Good that Persia is willing to talk, that allows us to take a bit of heat off if we need to.

Nice progress CP. :goodjob:

Egypt looks like they are on the brink, as long as they do not call an ally in. :eek:

Been looking at the global map with culture enabled. Since we have an enforced peace with Hammy, wondering if we should consider sending a spy on our Caravel to the west to have a look at Inca area? Also, we could build another for Hammy area and send the current one north to scout Lizzie, find Cyrus?

Perhaps now is also a time to build a few Markets in the core?
Would it be worth hiring some Scientists to get some beakers in CoL's? It doesn't look as though Hattie can give us much tech for peace, only Meditation, which we really do not want.

Been looking at the global map with culture enabled. Since we have an enforced peace with Hammy, wondering if we should consider sending a spy on our Caravel to the west to have a look at Inca area? Also, we could build another for Hammy area and send the current one north to scout Lizzie, find Cyrus? Perhaps now is also a time to build a few Markets in the core? You're arguing for two more spies and a few markets? We're building wealth to stay in the black. Agree that they would likely be useful, but can't see doing it immediately. If we can make some progress against Hat and capture some gold, then a discussion of build priorities would be needed.

Would it be worth hiring some Scientists to get some beakers in CoL's?
Been frustrated at not being able to do this. Will continue to try, and expect it may be possible now that we have no units to support in Ham's territory, not to mention the prospect of gold from Egyptian cities.

It doesn't look as though Hattie can give us much tech for peace, only Meditation, which we really do not want. All too true. Hoping she'll research something more useful before we end the war.

Playing again in about an hour.

Good thing the AP vote was not to stop the war against Egypt. :D

Bombard Helios and advance on Elephantine

What's the plan here? :crazyeye:

I would concentrate on Heliopolis, take the Statue of Zeus and bring down ww with 50% instantly. :)

That's basically the plan, Z. Just don't need that many non-siege units to take Heliopolis, so trying to make progress elsewhere carefully and take advantage of AI mistakes while bombarding and getting enough trebs on hand to assure city will fall.

Playing again now.

Top Bottom