Intra-team Pitboss Game?

Looks like I'm bringing along a friend, Clamburger. Qualifies as "less experienced". :king:

Also whatever map style we get, just make sure everyone starts out around a few other players. Should we have someone check for isolated starts? Also enough room for 4-6 cities would probably be good for the no-early-war rule.

With 11 players, we should definitely use Low sea level along with a large map. Having a huge map would probably put strain on some comptuers (not mine, but some).

If the map were to be checked, the only way would be for someone else to make the map, right? Someone who's not planning on playing.

Edit: I think the game should be considered "closed" as we've got plenty of players.

First of all I'm totally ok that Elucidus is the host of the game. However I might have interest to host another one at some point and would like to hear hints from you and possibly test my setup.

Currently I'm running Win2000 machine that has Civ installed and pitboss running. I can connect to this machine from my LAN and play the game. Now I would like to reveal this game to you. What is the best way to do this? I'm mainly looking for hints how to configure my firewall (I'm not very experienced). Easisest is probably to put this machine on DMZ zone, but that sounds little unsecure to me. How have you done this?

Do you know how to forward ports on your firewall? Is it hardware or software or do you have both (using windows built in firewall and a firewall built into a router for instance)?

I've hardware firewall and I did took a look at long stickied pitboss thread and configured "virtual server" that forwards port 2056 to machine in my LAN. Now I would appreciate if you some of you would test if you can contact using following information:

ip-address:
game password (given under the ip adress in connect window):

There is a game with 10 players that don't have passwords defined. You can do whatever you like, but please inform me if you we're able to connect sucesfully.

I'm not satisfied to the security of my current configuration. I won't keep this long online. I'll let you know, if I take it offline.

Looks like I'm bringing along a friend, Clamburger. Qualifies as "less experienced". :king:
Okay, cool. I see (s)he's posted in the sign up thread. :)

Also whatever map style we get, just make sure everyone starts out around a few other players. Should we have someone check for isolated starts? Also enough room for 4-6 cities would probably be good for the no-early-war rule.
I suspect we'll all have room for more than 4-6 cities on the kind of map proposed. :)

Also, Elucidus could probably skim over the map to check that nobody is isolated. He's checked out a heap of maps for fairness in pitboss games that we've played before. It doesn't actually matter if he's playing in them, because there's so many different maps he's done that he's unlikely to remember how the latest one looks. ;)

Of course, we could always get someone outside the game to check over a map for us... DaveShack might be a good choice.

With 11 players, we should definitely use Low sea level along with a large map. Having a huge map would probably put strain on some comptuers (not mine, but some).
Actually, that's something we should check - does everyone have computers capable of running large/huge maps in the late game?

Assuming they do, then I'd prefer a huge map with medium sea level over a large one with low seas.

Edit: I think the game should be considered "closed" as we've got plenty of players.
Well, there's still technically room for more. I doubt that anyone else will join at this late stage though. Even if they did, it's not much of a problem - we can fit them in. :)

If we go with the less experienced no rush option AND the open-borders agreement i'd like some rule that states, that you aren't allowed to use this to explore the whole land. otherwise there is no way to build an army afterwards, without everyone noticing...
maybe a round-limit on the open-borders agreement?

My computer can handle Genghis_Kai's Giant Earth map very nicely which (if I recall correctly) is more than twice the size of a huge map. So I think it can handle a large map. ;) I don't care of the map is large or huge or what sea level -- I just want everyone to have some room for at least 4-6 cities.

Scuum, I'm not sure. In multiplayer I'm sure many players have their own unit "spies" like chariots, scouts, etc that are parked in opponents' cities. To prevent this, you could just close borders, or you could also do it to whoever is doing it to you. ;)

We all know that we'll be creating armies anyway.

plako -- As soon as I am able to get on my other computer with CIV on it, I will try to connect to the game.

If we go with the less experienced no rush option AND the open-borders agreement i'd like some rule that states, that you aren't allowed to use this to explore the whole land. otherwise there is no way to build an army afterwards, without everyone noticing...

Open borders will let people run around your land, yeah, that's kind of the point. I think the basic idea is you can close your borders, but it drops any sort of "early invincibility" rule. (as in anyone closed off will be able to declare war) Personally I will probably be opening borders with everyone, I got nothing to hide. :p

Also I prefer large/low sea level to huge/normal sea level, I find the larger the map the more tedious distance becomes, expecially considering we'll be on normal speed. Though both me and clamburger will be able to handle maps of any size... we have gaming computers.

I'm ok with huge maps, even if I still prefer large map with medium sea level.

The purpose of the agreement would really be more to prevent people getting boxed off. So if you're not boxing anyone off, you don't have to open borders. Anyway, other players exploring your territory is really not a big deal. Like Joshua, I usually open my borders to everyone I meet - if only for the trade route benefit.

If someone parks a unit in your city and won't move, you can always close borders. Although in my experience, this never happens, because it's not actually that useful to see what someone is building (and there are ways of still hiding things anyway). It's far more useful, especially on this map which will have a LOT of land, to just keep exploring into the fog to see what you find rather than parking up in someone's city. ;)

Thanks I think it can handle a high map. I am in the rewriting history MP game and it uses quite a big earth map, I think.

I'll PM hell_hound my choice.

I have put myself in the inexperienced camp.

I've hardware firewall and I did took a look at long stickied pitboss thread and configured "virtual server" that forwards port 2056 to machine in my LAN. Now I would appreciate if you some of you would test if you can contact using following information:

ip-address: 80.223.44.107
game password (given under the ip adress in connect window): rokot.5

There is a game with 10 players that don't have passwords defined. You can do whatever you like, but please inform me if you we're able to connect sucesfully.

I'm not satisfied to the security of my current configuration. I won't keep this long online. I'll let you know, if I take it offline.

Plako-I was unable to connect to your game. I was able to connect to Daveshack's game, though, so something must be wrong.

Okay.

Hopefully we can get the game started!

With 12 players I'd go with a Huge map with Medium sea level.
Indeed, huge with medium sea level works well.

So, with regards to Game Settings, did we reach any conclusions? We seemed to agree on No Vassal States, but aside from that shall we leave the rest as defaults? (This is a fun game as opposed to a highly competitive one, so leaving things like Huts, Events and Barbarians in the game for flavour seems fine to me.) :)

Huge is no problem for Ame and I. The server...well, it is doing nothing but hosting a single PTBS game. It is meant for it 2.66 Dual Core with 2 Gigs of RAM and a crappy onboard video card. :)

I used to serve about 6 or 7 games on my laptop with little problems. I had network issues, but I replaced those parts. My laptop is a four year old 2.0 Gig with at the time 512MB of memory.

As far as Emperor's offer for me to look at the map, I understand if you guys feel funny about it as he is the only one that really knows me (been 7 years now I think or will be soon). I have done it a lot, and if it helps I am still on some pain meds from the neck surgery so I probably wouldn't remember anyway.

Plako I cannot connect to a game at that IP, can't ping it or anything either. There is a firewall blocking it somewhere, make sure you aren't using windows firewall, or it has an exception if you are. It is on by default and but civ should put an exception as well, though not sure if it will for PTBS. Also if you plan to do more than one game plan on doing more than one Port.

Top Bottom