A New Dawn Bug Reports and Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, not sure if bug or what, but I've noticed this over several revisions (681-685, I haven't upgraded to 686). I think it started when I decided to disable trading contacts via diplomacy.

When I start a new game I exploring my surroundings but stop when I meet my immediate neighbours, after which I just dig in and turtle up. Several dozen turns later when I finally get around to sending a unit (usually a spy) over to my neighbours' cities, the moment my spy uncovers the fog of war the city is under, I immediately get a bunch of contacts.

E.g. I play French civ and my neighbours are Spain and Portugal. When I send a unit near a Spanish city, I immediately get contacted by England and Egypt, but I don't see any of their units.

-
I'm fairly sure this only started happening when I disabled trading contacts in BUG's Diplomacy tab.

Had a power brownout that fried some stuff, including my pc >_____> I'll try it again next week when I (hopefully) get it fixed, right now I'm using a crappy netbook. And yea, it happens in the middle of my turn, as soon as the unit I'm sending sees a city, so it's definitely not another civ trading contact info.

From what I recall though it should be easy to reproduce. Play with "trade contacts" disabled, and stop your initial expansion once you meet neighbours - try to tech up and get spies, shouldn't take long. Then send a spy past your border. Once it glimpses another civ's city, you should immediately get a new contact or two.

Edit:
Okay, I got one of the saves out. When you load it, end the turn, then on the next turn go to 145°23'E, 10°0'S, it's on the middle-lower right side of the map, an ocean square with 3 of my Galleass on it. Move one of them two squares west and one north right next to that port city belonging to Sitting Bull (Native America) whom I just declared war against a couple turns back - it should immediately trigger contact with Germany, Japan, Egypt, and Khmer.

Attachments

• 04-09 r685 Commander AD-1506.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
I would like to see +1-4 :c5happy: for negotiating peace for a friendly civ when
-another country declared war first against your friendly civ
-the enemy has a bigger army
-the friendly civ wants to make peace (which you can see if you hover over "make peace with: ...")

-right now, the envoy has no uses what a spy couldn't do better. For enemy movement, you got the spy unit and espionage for the visibility. Dirty jobs like paying corrupted bureaucrats should be a job for the spy, not for an envoy.
-there is no advantage for the spy between having open boarders or free trade. This is a little bit disappointing, because you don't have to work for diplomatic relations to negotiate open borders. A small difference (e.g. -10% espionage point costs) would be enough.
-On the domestic advisor screen, could you add the espionage output for each city?

I suspect this might be my problem not yours, but I only get it with this mod so thought I would post here. I just have downloaded the latest code of the mod from SVN (729?) and started a game, and I have no interface (see attached screen shot), I have tried pressing ALT-I and CNTL-I with no effect. I attach a save, but I get this every time I start a game (tried 3 times). I think the error messages change each time, BICBW.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0032.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0032.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Gandi BC-6000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    215.7 KB · Views: 79
I suspect this might be my problem not yours, but I only get it with this mod so thought I would post here. I just have downloaded the latest code of the mod from SVN (729?) and started a game, and I have no interface (see attached screen shot), I have tried pressing ALT-I and CNTL-I with no effect. I attach a save, but I get this every time I start a game (tried 3 times). I think the error messages change each time, BICBW.

This seems obvious, but you are using BTS 3.19 (latest patch), right?

I downloaded your save and had no trouble loading it, and the interface appeared fine, w/o errors.

If you are on the latest patch, go to your Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword folder, find the Civilization.ini file, and turn on python logging and all other error logging. Then run a new game again, zip up the logs folder (from Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Logs) and submit it here.

Or simply delete/rename that other RoM or AND folder you have in your mod folder. Most of the time this is happening when you have multiple RoM or AND folders installed.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13255473 said:
Or simply delete/rename that other RoM or AND folder you have in your mod folder. Most of the time this is happening when you have multiple RoM or AND folders installed.

This fixed it. I had vanilla RoM installed, I renamed that and it works.

Thank you very much for the support.

I've gone back to playing a game of vanilla BTS just for the hell of it. Boy are there things I miss from AND, however, there is one thing that AND upgrades has push aside (or unintentionally dropped) that was very cool as an aid to game management. That is the routine that returns you to the Domestic Adviser (DV) screen after you escape out of a city view.

As it stand now once in the DV and you go enter a city for a closer look, when you Esc you return to the game. This is very cumbersome if you intend to do various changes as you must re-enter the DV each time.

You might wish to re-visit this simple routine.

Buck

I've gone back to playing a game of vanilla BTS just for the hell of it. Boy are there things I miss from AND, however, there is one thing that AND upgrades has push aside (or unintentionally dropped) that was very cool as an aid to game management. That is the routine that returns you to the Domestic Adviser (DV) screen after you escape out of a city view.

As it stand now once in the DV and you go enter a city for a closer look, when you Esc you return to the game. This is very cumbersome if you intend to do various changes as you must re-enter the DV each time.

You might wish to re-visit this simple routine.

Buck

IIRC it worked this way in v1.75 too.
I miss this feature too.

Just curious what kind of RAM requirements are estimated for this mod - I have 4 GB right now (I also use linux) and have run a huge map/1600 turn game until the early 1900s without a CTD so far. Anybody have any thoughts if I'm starting to push it, or if I should be good playing huge and gigantic maps. I guess what I'm trying to say is - what kind of RAM requirements do I need in order to not worry about functionality?

Just curious what kind of RAM requirements are estimated for this mod - I have 4 GB right now (I also use linux) and have run a huge map/1600 turn game until the early 1900s without a CTD so far. Anybody have any thoughts if I'm starting to push it, or if I should be good playing huge and gigantic maps. I guess what I'm trying to say is - what kind of RAM requirements do I need in order to not worry about functionality?

The game is 32bit, so you will max out around the 4GB mark for the application alone. I recommend at least 6GB, which gives your OS and background apps plenty of RAM as well.

Uh... am I going crazy or do I see posts on the forum starting from May 6th and earlier (except for stickies)? Where have all other topics gone? :confused: I can see them via tapatalk but not on my main pc.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13283938 said:
Uh... am I going crazy or do I see posts on the forum starting from May 6th and earlier (except for stickies)? Where have all other topics gone? :confused: I can see them via tapatalk but not on my main pc.

Maybe you're going crazy :crazyeye: It's working here !

Maybe you're going crazy :crazyeye: It's working here !

Well, this is what I see right now.
Hopefully it will get right by itself (or I could simply clear my cache). :D

Attachments

• Forum.jpg
    Forum.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 82
My diagnostic is that could be else an excess of alcohol or you may have found how to back in time !

My diagnostic is that could be else an excess of alcohol or you may have found how to back in time !

...or carefully examining that picture you are on the 2nd page :king:

The game is 32bit, so you will max out around the 4GB mark for the application alone. I recommend at least 6GB, which gives your OS and background apps plenty of RAM as well.

So what is better for a system with Windows 32bit and 4GB RAM?Upgrading to 6GB RAM or upgrading to a 64bit operating system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom