Things you only just now realized

It increases attack power against embarked land units.
It's also not just strength when attacking, it's also *defensive* strength when being attacked BY land units - machine guns, artillery..
This. I realized this just now, when you said it. ;)

when you kill barb that adjacent to a city state using your own city range attack,
you do not get the "barbarian killed near X" bonus.

Really?!?...I didn't realize that....I'll check the next time the opportunity presents itself... And, then I have to make sure the killing shot comes from ...usually as this tends to be an early game thing... an archer...

The CN Tower wonder grants a free broadcast tower to all your cities, including puppet cities.

It still comes way too late in the tech tree, but at least now I have a reason to build it if I get there.

Improving a bonus or luxury resource tile outside of the city radius gives you NO gpt.:(
Thanks FeiLing

The CN Tower wonder grants a free broadcast tower to all your cities, including puppet cities.

It still comes way too late in the tech tree, but at least now I have a reason to build it if I get there.

Yeah...I noticed that....and, yeah...it just comes too late...I try to delay the building broadcast towers if I can, but then you get too focussed on getting the CN tower instead of, maybe, something else.......

A bit like the free aqueducts in the Tradition finisher...you hate to have to wait, but you also don't like being "forced" to finish the Tradition tree when you might want something else...:lol:

The CN tower will overwrite any broadcast towers you already built into 'free' ones, reducing maintenance costs, if you build it after building towers anyway.

If you lose the city that built the CN tower, any city that had built towers beforehand will revert to the regular towers.

Just realized last night a units icon will change shape if they're fortified...

I just realized that Legalism can be several different free buildings. I always thought it was just monuments (didn't it used to be?)

I still hate its placement, though, if I'm going tradition early. A monument is very often the first thing I'll build in my capitol, or 2nd if I get a scout, so I have never liked picking Legalism so early and not receiving the free monument there (why doesn't it replace it with a free one like the CN tower does?) but I hate waiting so long to hit the opener without building that first monument, unless I find culture ruins. Bleh.

I think the CN Tower's free Broadcast Towers in puppet cities is it's most useful perk. Usually, puppet cities are way behind with buildings, because many get destroyed on capture and half of the population dies, so production dies as well. They won't have a Broadcast Tower most of the time, even when you get to the point you build the CN Tower. I didn't know the CN Tower converts you current BTs into free ones, though. That's another reason to build it.

The free broadcast tower also applies to newly settled or puppet cities as well. Effectively making each city a +5/6 culture city (I had Sistine Chapel at the time). It definitely isn't a bad late wonder for a wide empire, and the +1 pop/happiness doesn't hurt either.

I just realized that Legalism can be several different free buildings. I always thought it was just monuments (didn't it used to be?)

I still hate its placement, though, if I'm going tradition early. A monument is very often the first thing I'll build in my capitol, or 2nd if I get a scout, so I have never liked picking Legalism so early and not receiving the free monument there (why doesn't it replace it with a free one like the CN tower does?) but I hate waiting so long to hit the opener without building that first monument, unless I find culture ruins. Bleh.
Best combo is probably with Siam's Wats. My goodness a science boost AND a culture boost all at once. It almost seem broken.

The CN tower will overwrite any broadcast towers you already built into 'free' ones, reducing maintenance costs, if you build it after building towers anyway.

If you lose the city that built the CN tower, any city that had built towers beforehand will revert to the regular towers.

Does it reduce maintenance costs? , I note the 'if you build it after towers anyway'.

Does 'free' mean build cost but not maintenance costs?

I noted in Civ5 vanilla, that the legalism policy delivered 4 'free' culture buildings but it still cost at least 2 gold maintenance per city.

Maybe this has been addressed elsewhere.

The CN Tower gives you a no-maintenance broadcast tower in every city.
If you had built a broadcast tower in a city, it is overwritten with the free one.
If you lose the CN Tower, all free towers are removed and any city that had built one manually is returned to the maintenance-costing tower.

I still don't understand how Legalism really works, but yeah, its not the same. If I built a monument in my capitol, Legalism doesn't seem to do anything.

I still don't understand how Legalism really works, but yeah, its not the same. If I built a monument in my capitol, Legalism doesn't seem to do anything.

Legalism carries it forward, so if you'd already built a monument in a given city it will receive a free amphitheatre as soon as you've researched the appropriate tech. Likewise, if you've only founded two cities at the time you select Legalism, then the next two cities you found will get free monuments immediately.

Ah, that's cool then. I've been mixing tradition into my games more often, I won't feel so bad about taking legalism earlier then

-Your city strength ratings add to your military rating. It's possible to expand so rapidly that you make other civs "Afraid" or they fail to become hostile simply because they think your army is quite respectable

Legalism carries it forward, so if you'd already built a monument in a given city it will receive a free amphitheatre as soon as you've researched the appropriate tech. Likewise, if you've only founded two cities at the time you select Legalism, then the next two cities you found will get free monuments immediately.

Wow. I just learned the above. :)

I just realized that Volley (siege unit promotion) now includes +50% against cities, which is awesome, since siege units no longer have the City Siege promotion.

-Your city strength ratings add to your military rating. It's possible to expand so rapidly that you make other civs "Afraid" or they fail to become hostile simply because they think your army is quite respectable

Ah ha!! I had never even thought about that....I just assumed it was related to your military units.... And maybe this explains a few things ...like when you think you are militarily weak, but the neighbours still don't DOW you....:)

Ah ha!! I had never even thought about that....I just assumed it was related to your military units.... And maybe this explains a few things ...like when you think you are militarily weak, but the neighbours still don't DOW you....:)

I noticed the behaviour when I was messing around as Carthage trying some REXing, Gandhi became "Afraid" of me when I began founding new cities but hadn't built a single additional combat unit.

Also, and I want to confirm this again, but choosing the Freedom policy that increases city strength led to a significant "Soldiers" point increase in demographics the next turn.

Top Bottom