BAT install failing on Steam Beyond the Sword

blacktrance

Chieftain
I have the current Steam version of BTS, and I'm trying to install BAT, and I'm running into an issue. During installation, an error pops up, with the message:

Error opening file for writing:
\Mods\BAT Mod4.1\Assets\BM_v4.50_HI.FPK

Is there a known fix for this?

I have the Steam BTS, and I can only obtain an .exe for BAT. It, of course, can't find the registry entry on C:, because it's not there.
Where can I get some source; or a zip file I can paste myself?

I found a zip file. You can get to it directly from the server index at sourceforge. v 4.1. Yay.

Wondering if I should put the link. I guess so?

SourceForge only puts the last uploaded file as the most current, in this case the "exe" file. Those wishing to find the zip file must choose files and navigate the directories to find the BAT 4.1.zip file.

Sorry about that folks, but there isn't anything I can do about it. :(

What exactly am I supposed to do to make BAT work with Steam BTS?
The situation is as follows -
the desktop BTW shortcut says steam://rungameid/8800
I see the game is installed in Documents\My Games\Beyond the sword
BAT exe file successfully completes the installation procedure, but mentions that it cannot locate bts as described earlier
upon said completion I start BTS normally and no trace of BAT is there. It also creates a desktop shortcut that leads nowhere (it says C:\Civ4 Beyond the sword\bts.exe or something like that IIRC)

What do I need to do?

What exactly am I supposed to do to make BAT work with Steam BTS?
The situation is as follows -
the desktop BTW shortcut says steam://rungameid/8800
I see the game is installed in Documents\My Games\Beyond the sword
BAT exe file successfully completes the installation procedure, but mentions that it cannot locate bts as described earlier
upon said completion I start BTS normally and no trace of BAT is there. It also creates a desktop shortcut that leads nowhere (it says C:\Civ4 Beyond the sword\bts.exe or something like that IIRC)

What do I need to do?

I don't have a Steam version, so I can't be 100% sure, but this should work...

First, obtain the BAT 4.1.zip file from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/civ4bat/files/The BAT Mod (BTS v.319)/BAT Mod 4.1/

Unzip the file into Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Mods

Run BTS as normal. BAT should show up.

The reason the installer doesn't work is that the installer can't see the Steam registry keys. Since I don't have a Steam copy of BTS, I can't make the installer see it. For Steam users, the only way to get BAT installed is to use the zip file. Sorry, but I can't do much about it, unless someone wants to export their Windows registry and post it, but that's a security issue...

Hey, Lemon,
Thanks for trying to help out!

I did as you said, and I now have a 900 Mb folder BAT Mod 4.1 with unzipped files in my Mods folder.
It is all in Docs\My games\BTS.

I then launched the game, and no luck; it doesn't seem to be working. Started a new game, played a few turns, and there's no sign of BAT there.

The Steam version doesn't load BTS mods from the My Games folder. You have to go into the application folder, steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/MODS
(Beyond the Sword is subfoldered twice)
I think the reason is because The Steam version treats BTS as its own game and not a DLC or expansion or things like that. So it has its own folder. But then it has to recreate the folder structure that the game originally had (because why bother doing anything nasty like refactoring), which was a Beyond The Sword folder in the Civ IV app folder.

Anyway, put the BAT folder in the MODS folder I mentioned, and then you'll load it up each time you play, explicitly. I think there's a way to config civ to run a certain mod by default, but I don't know it.

This has worked! I now go to Advanced and I can Load a MOD, ie BAT.

Thank you!
I will play like this for now, and I'll google first before I bug you guys here about autoloading a mod.

I am loving this mod btw. Great work.

I found the autoloading way.
In My Games (which is in My Documents), in the BTS subfolder there is a civilizationIV.ini file.

Open it in notepad and find this entry -

Specify a Mod folder (Mods\Mesopotamia), '0' for none
Mod = BAT Mod 4.1

Originally it says Mod = 0, so change it as I've pasted above and BAT will autoload. :)

Thanks for the help, Hermi. :)

I found the autoloading way.
In My Games (which is in My Documents), in the BTS subfolder there is a civilizationIV.ini file.

Open it in notepad and find this entry -

Specify a Mod folder (Mods\Mesopotamia), '0' for none
Mod = BAT Mod 4.1

Originally it says Mod = 0, so change it as I've pasted above and BAT will autoload. :)
cant find this ?

cant find this ?

My Documents\My Games\beyond the sword\
CivilizationIV.ini

(the bts is lower case because lol)

.... if you're sure you're looking in the right place, maybe your system is hiding the file from you?
If it is, it thinks a simple .ini is a system file, and hiding the real ones is a good safety measure, so instead of setting it visible, go to your system command prompt and execute the command for notepad:

Code:
>> notepad.exe "[absolute path to My Documents]\My Documents\My Games\beyond the sword\CivilizationIV.ini"

You can also create a shortcut that automatically loads a mod. I'll post details when I get home.

My Documents\My Games\beyond the sword\
CivilizationIV.ini

(the bts is lower case because lol)

.... if you're sure you're looking in the right place, maybe your system is hiding the file from you?

Found the ini file and opened.
I'm sure the 'specify a mod folder' wasn't in that ini before lol
Anyway, i edited the 'specify a mod folder', saved, closed.
Loaded game, but bat mod still doesn't load up automatically.
Just checked ini folder and mod value is 0 - not sure why it hasn't saved ?

You can also create a shortcut that automatically loads a mod. I'll post details when I get home.

@danceswh - thanks for the reminder.

The mod I will use as a demo is installed here ...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\RB Mod 2.0.6.4

I have a shortcut that has the following in the target field (the " are required) ...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod="RB Mod 2.0.6.4"

Attachments

• Civ4Mod.jpg
    Civ4Mod.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 306
@danceswh - thanks for the reminder.

The mod I will use as a demo is installed here ...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\RB Mod 2.0.6.4

I have a shortcut that has the following in the target field (the " are required) ...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod="RB Mod 2.0.6.4"

Sorry for being dim, but how does that work with the steam version, as the steam version has no shortcut tab in the civ 4 properties box ?

Errr ... guess I missed that you have a steam version. Sorry.

Top Bottom