BULL mod

JulesDogg

Warlord
Could someone please tell me what alterations the BULL mod provides. I've searched for a while and can't find out what it does.

Loving the BUG mod but would love to know more about BULL & BAT.

BULL provides more information in some of the help hover text. You can see some features throughout the Features & Fixes thread, but the ultimate source is the change log. It's organized by release and has no pictures, but it is quite comprehensive.

If you are running the latest BUG, go into the BUG options menu (ALT + CTRL + O). Every grayed out option is for BULL, and hovering over them tells you what they do.

BULL provides more information in some of the help hover text. You can see some features throughout the Features & Fixes thread, but the ultimate source is the change log. It's organized by release and has no pictures, but it is quite comprehensive.

If you are running the latest BUG, go into the BUG options menu (ALT + CTRL + O). Every grayed out option is for BULL, and hovering over them tells you what they do.

Thank you

Could someone please tell me what alterations the BULL mod provides. I've searched for a while and can't find out what it does.

Loving the BUG mod but would love to know more about BULL & BAT.
BAT is a graphical enhancement for BTS. It gives all the goodness of BUG and BULL, with other goodies like Varietas Delectat, Blue Marble, Cultural CityStyles, to name a few...

It's the best way to change up the game without modifying the rules. :D

(In our humble opinions, of course. :p )

BTW, I`ve been using Bull 1.2 online with a couple other friends. However, every time one of us chops a forest, we get a TXT error display, mentioning something about PRE-CLEARing the forest.

BTW, Emperor, I am curious why Bull 1.3 is not showing up for DL on sourceforge.

BTW, I`ve been using Bull 1.2 online with a couple other friends. However, every time one of us chops a forest, we get a TXT error display, mentioning something about PRE-CLEARing the forest.

Did you also install the files from BULL's Assets folder as well? Do all the extra hover text items show up okay?

BTW, Emperor, I am curious why Bull 1.3 is not showing up for DL on sourceforge.

Because I haven't had a chance to release it. ;) I've been extremely busy with work the past month, but I should be able to get to it soon. Better BUG AI and BAT have the latest versions of both BUG and BULL if you want a combined mod.

Hmm, we decided to go back to the original dll since too many out of synch problems were happening. Anyhow, I guess I better install Bat then. For some reason, when I play now all the text that should be on the diplo window when talking to another window is simply invisible. It's possible this happened right when I upgraded to the last version of Bug, but not 100% sure. Seems there is always something that isn't working right.

Missing diplo text sounds like you didn't fully uninstall BUG before installing the new version. Best to delete your CustomAssets folder before installing BUG there.

Hmm! I just don't know what's going on now. I installed Bat, and that has fixed the missing text. But now the tech screen refuses to let me scroll to the right. It also is missing all the lines connecting the techs to one another.

But even more problematic, is it's making the entire GUI from the mainscreen invisible. So you can only do anything by pure hotkeying.

I deleted the customassets folder, and re-installed the last version of bug. But it doesn't seem to fix this problem. Grrrr.

We're currently working on that problem with BAT. When it happens, others have been able to load a saved game or exit to the main menu and start a new game to correct the problem. I'm looking in to it, but it doesn't hit everyone or every time--the best kind of problem to have! (not)

Please be patient; we'll get this working for you ASAP.

Hmm, alright I played around with reloading and got it to finally work again. Then ran into a weird problem later on with not being able to do certain city builds in certain cities, followed by another hard crash.

Oh well, I can wait.

Hello, have a question regarding BULL: what about it's future that convert lost overflow into gold?
I don't complain, but isn't it altered gameplay now? I was searching through the change log and haven't find any description or explanation of the effect.

Hello, have a question regarding BULL: what about it's future that convert lost overflow into gold?
I don't complain, but isn't it altered gameplay now? I was searching through the change log and haven't find any description or explanation of the effect.

We decided to include the fixes in the community-built Unofficial Patch for 3.19 in BUG and BULL as they are limited to fixing real bugs in the original game.

Thank you for your response, EmperorFool.

And thank you for your work. It's absolutely huge and many people here including myself can not imagine themselves play CIV without BUG and BULL.

Now I said that because that's what I am really thinking. I really do appreciate your efforts and don't want look like ungrateful pig.

But here is the situation:
To significant part of civfanatics population BUG and BULL are known as interface improvements without altering gameplay.

From here

....1. INTRODUCTION

BULL is an unaltered-gameplay mod for Civ4:BTS....

That's how BULL were introduced to me by civfanatics friends and that's how I do introduce and recommend it to newcomers today.

"Get it! It's excellent, it gives tons of useful info without changing gameplay whatsoever!"

Now I suddenly discover that I actually lie to these people!

I search through changelog and don't find any trail of the fact that BULL 1.2, I currently use, contains:
  • Unofficial 3.19 Patch v1.50
  • AI AutoPlay (What is that btw?)
That info I obtain when hover mouse over empire flag in game (did not know about that option). I think it should be stated in mod description in the first place and BULL should not state itself as unaltered gameplay.

Unofficial Patch contains many essential fixes etc. But it also contains some gameplay changes and I want to be aware when I install it. Some of these changes may have serious impact, like this overflow into gold thing.

If I want unofficial patch I download and install it. And I am aware of what I've done.

Many people here still using vanilla 3.19 BTS, many just use BUG without BULL. I can't be sure, but running unofficial patch can create multiplayer issues with these who does not?

And what about concurrent games, so popular here? We play same map and compare results without been aware that we are actually playing different versions of game! Saves are compatible so no problem!

Personally I discovered all this by accident from this thread. One poster points on some differences with BULL and I claim that it's impossible since BULL is unaltered gameplay etc. Then I check myself and realize that I was wrong.

I think it should be stated clearly in mod description that BULL is NOT unaltered gameplay.

Thank you for your time and best regards.

Working from memory here..

We had overflow for gold in standard BTS, but it (incorrectly) counted production multipliers.

Patch (3.19?) removed overflow gold altogether.

Unofficial patch (and BUG/BULL) put the overflow gold back, but with the multipliers removed.

@GKey - We discussed this at length when we originally put the Unofficial Patch into BULL. As Elkad pointed out, Firaxis introduced a bug in the calculations in one patch and then fixed it incorrectly in 3.19. The Firaxis developers made clear what they had intended (overflow :gold: without :hammers: modifiers) but said they weren't going to issue yet another patch to fix it. I suggest skimming the UP thread for more background.

The changelog you reference does indeed state that the Unofficial Patch is included. Every time I update to the latest patch, I add an entry:

Code:
BULL 1.3 released October 31st, 2010

Merged Mods:

- Unofficial Patch
	Updated to release version 1.60

But I agree that a section at the top would be a good idea and more clear as people who play without the UP (why play with bugs?) may consider it to be altered gameplay. Note that most of the fixes in BULL and all of those in BUG affect only the information displayed (no, that trade route is not generating 327182364 :gold:/turn).

As for AI AutoPlay, that's a feature from the UP that allows you to have the AI take control of your turns, and it's used mostly for testing. I personally haven't tried it, but it doesn't give you the AI bonuses so don't use it if you want to win.

Since BULL is save-compatible, you are correct that people in a succession game--some with it and some without it--will experience different effects during their turns. Multiplayer games check to make sure that all players are using the same DLL so this isn't a problem there.

Thank you very much for your response.

I have nothing against Unofficial Patch.

The only reason why I play without it (at least I thought I play without it :)) to make my games compatible with majority of games here.

Why many(most of) people play without UP? May be just to stay away from unofficial stuff. On the other hand many players (like myself) play with BULL, so they actually play with UP.

My point was - people should know that by installing BULL they automatically install UP.

Thanks again and best regards.

P.S. This AI AutoPlay sounds like very interesting future. How do I make it work (or where can I read about)?

My point was - people should know that by installing BULL they automatically install UP.

And I agree with this point. I'll update the docs when I get a chance.

P.S. This AI AutoPlay sounds like very interesting future. How do I make it work (or where can I read about)?

As I said, I've never tried it, but I believe CTRL + SHIFT + X is supposed to open a dialog to ask you how many turns. I know I haven't integrated the mod other than the UP stuff, so it's probably non-functional in stock BUG + BULL. Here's the AIAutoPlay subforum.

Just started palying again after 6 months off and would like to give BULL 1.3 a try. Would someone please provide me with a hyper-link to BULL 1.3 and some installation instructions :)

Top Bottom