PerfectWorld3

Not particularly. I've been working on my derivative map script as of late and it's actually nearing a point where it's ready for a beta release. Pretty much the only thing I've got implemented in the unreleased PW3 v6.0 is three preset map options. Multiplayer synchronization is still an issue and I'd still like to have a go at the continent stamper. Both of these issues are also present in my derivative so I will do my best to address them when I can, and when I do I'll implement them in PW3 as well.

Hi Bobert13, as I have written my own MP-Version of perfect world 3 long time ago with options (such as random water %). I recently updated my options with the changes you did to the map and then had sync issues.

The problem was, that the water % was calculated in MapConstants. But PWRandSeed() was called after MapConstants:New() in GeneratePlotTypes().

Perhaps you have a similar issue.

I've been struggling to find a way to get continents with this script. I love the worlds and maps it creates but I really want to have 2-3 continents with ocean to make astronomy worth it. Anyone find a nice recipe for this yet?

I've been struggling to find a way to get continents with this script. I love the worlds and maps it creates but I really want to have 2-3 continents with ocean to make astronomy worth it. Anyone find a nice recipe for this yet?

I currently just make huge maps with a low amount of land percent (say 120x80 with 15% land). Works out at about having the same amount of land tiles as a "normal" standard map from memory.

I've got win8 and more than sufficient hardware.
I'm using PerfectWorld3 (not bob's version). Got Civ 5, G&K, BNW, 3.18 version.

PerfectWorld3 works with no other mods. Crashes with RED's scaled units; crashes with Communitas AI and Gameplay. It crashes about halfway through the load.

Yes, I'm selecting Mod, Next, Single Player, Setup Game, Advanced Setup, etc. and that loads fine without the mods. Yarp, I'm clearing the cache each time while controlling for each mod. No, I don't know how to post the log for debugging.

Is there any way to use this map script with the Communitas mods enabled?
How do I troubleshoot this?

(tried Bob's version which I installed properly, and that failed to resolve the problem. I used bob's map with and without PerfectWorld3 mod too).

I've got win8 and more than sufficient hardware.
I'm using PerfectWorld3 (not bob's version). Got Civ 5, G&K, BNW, 3.18 version.

PerfectWorld3 works with no other mods. Crashes with RED's scaled units; crashes with Communitas AI and Gameplay. It crashes about halfway through the load.

Yes, I'm selecting Mod, Next, Single Player, Setup Game, Advanced Setup, etc. and that loads fine without the mods. Yarp, I'm clearing the cache each time while controlling for each mod. No, I don't know how to post the log for debugging.

Is there any way to use this map script with the Communitas mods enabled?
How do I troubleshoot this?

(tried Bob's version which I installed properly, and that failed to resolve the problem. I used bob's map with and without PerfectWorld3 mod too).

Would you mind following this tutorial to enable logging: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=487482

Then try to spawn a map with my version of the script and attach your lua.log (located at C:\Users\******\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Logs\) to your reply.

Without an error message I've got no idea where to begin and I don't have a Win 8 system to test on so...

Would you mind following this tutorial to enable logging: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=487482

Then try to spawn a map with my version of the script and attach your lua.log (located at C:\Users\******\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Logs\) to your reply.

Without an error message I've got no idea where to begin and I don't have a Win 8 system to test on so...

Thanks for the link.

I've got a 'solution' by reinstalling Civ5 and never clearing the cache.

I got it to work with the non-bob version, and when I have enough time, I'll retry yours.

Bob, your version works swimmingly well!

Thanks for making it. It's 10x better than the Civ 5 maps. I just tried playing on a vanilla Continents Plus, and I was instantly bored. PerfectWorld + Bob revision is where it's at!

Also, is there any way to reduce the Mountain generation? On easier levels, it's not a problem, but on Immortal it's been driving me crazy (choke points result in stalemates).

Bob, your version works swimmingly well!

Thanks for making it. It's 10x better than the Civ 5 maps. I just tried playing on a vanilla Continents Plus, and I was instantly bored. PerfectWorld + Bob revision is where it's at!

Also, is there any way to reduce the Mountain generation? On easier levels, it's not a problem, but on Immortal it's been driving me crazy (choke points result in stalemates).

Edit: It's a good idea to make a back-up of the script before tweaking anything just in-case.

Perfect World 3 is, inherently, highly configurable. Just find the script (PerfectWorld3.lua) in your \MODS\ directory (or \maps\ if you've moved it there as recommended) and open it up in any text editor. At the top you'll find a slew of configurable settings. Getting something like mountain generation just right for your personal taste may require some time and effort tweaking the values associated. There are at least 3 configurable variables there that directly affect mountain placement. I'd start with mconst.mountainsPercent however, and if you find that you can't get them quit to your liking maybe tinker with mconst.mountainFreq.

Bob is there a way to add an option for your version of perfectworld to generate # of continents seperated by Ocean?

Bob is there a way to add an option for your version of perfectworld to generate # of continents seperated by Ocean?

This should be doable but would require a lot of time to implement and test. The Perlin Noise landmass generation in PW3 doesn't really lend itself to make tasks like guaranteeing one continent per Civ (or something similar) very easy. You'd basically have to come back and "erase" elevation (read "land") it placed then add that elevation back to the new smaller continents in a way that prevents them from reconnecting.

I personally do not have any plans to implement any new features for PW3 itself. In the event that I ever fix multiplayer desynchronization or write a new continent art determinator (that's compatible) while working on Planet Simulator (my derivative that uses Tectonic Landmass generation) I'll likely bring those fixes to PW3 as well. Outside of that any new efforts will most likely be specifically for Planet Simulator and not PW3. With all that being said, making many small continents would be much, much easier to do with the Tectonic Landmass generation I use in the derivative. It would be as simple as adding the option in the UI and then capping max Continent size to a value based on the map size and/or number of Civs. Guaranteeing one Civ per Continent would likely also need to have some tweaks in AssignStartingPlots.lua (pardon my language).

Is there any way to customize the script sobthat desert tiles can only border plains or mountains? I get very annoyed and think it is highly unrealistic to have desert bordering a jungle or grassland. Thanks

Hello,
it's only me or there is a problem using this map script with Mongols? I usuaòòy play a random civ and when I get Mongols I always start in the middle of the jungle!
After a few times, I run a few test and I checked the supposed starting location, discovering that Mongols have to start in plains, not in jungles, so I think plains are always covered with jungle when I use Mongols but I have no clue why... I tried both version 4 & 5, same results... Using a different map script or simply disabling starting bias fix the problem.

Does anyone know what I need to tweak in order to produce thicker/wider land masses? I tend to generate a lot of thin, snaky continents; even when I get large land masses forming.

I've tried tweaking various things such as...

Spoiler :
mconst.landPercent = 0.35 - Which only really adjusts how many land tiles you get, but doesn't really make land masses thicker/bulkier/wider.

mconst.twistMinFreq = 0.06
mconst.twistMaxFreq = 0.20 .

Any hints on how I can get larger/wider, pangaea style land masses to form would be much appreciated! :)

EDIT: Thanks Bobert13! Planet Simulater has answered all my questions!

Does anyone know what I need to tweak in order to produce thicker/wider land masses? I tend to generate a lot of thin, snaky continents; even when I get large land masses forming.

I've tried tweaking various things such as...

Spoiler :
mconst.landPercent = 0.35 - Which only really adjusts how many land tiles you get, but doesn't really make land masses thicker/bulkier/wider.

mconst.twistMinFreq = 0.06
mconst.twistMaxFreq = 0.20 - These two variables seem to adjust how 'jagged/sharp' the edges of land masses tend to be. Closer/smaller values seem to produce more jutting/ragged/sharp peninsulas, whilst larger, farther apart values seem to produce rounder/smoother edges to land masses. They don't however seem to effect the width/bulk of the land mass.

Any hints on how I can get larger/wider, pangaea style land masses to form would be much appreciated! :))

It's been so long since I made this that I have almost no memory of any specifics of how it works, but you are on the right track. This map uses Perlin noise to make the features, so a high frequency makes smaller features and a low frequency makes larger features. Are there any other variables associated with frequency besides the twist ones? I think there should be a main noise frequency, and possibly a turbulence frequency but I don't remember. If not, I would guess you want to those frequencies down a bit. The idea behind my 'twisted Perlin' scheme is to mix large land masses with smaller archipelagos using an additional Perlin map to drive the frequency changes.

There should be various Perlin maps affecting the output, you might try altering the frequency or weight of those as well. It's all very complicated.

Hi cephalo, bumping this to say I really hope we see a PerfectWorld4 for Civ6 :mischief: I have loved your map script since Civ 4 and never play on anything else. I know you had a kid and not so much time to mod any more but just thought I would show my support! :goodjob:

Thanks demidyad. I'll have to see if I can remember how to do this! Also, it's possible that Civ 6 will have a really good map generator and maybe I won't need to do anything. Civ5's map generators were quite a bit better than Civ4, so maybe the improvements will continue.

I loved your Civ5 map scripts in the past and hope to see them for Civ6 sooner or later too!

Top Bottom