pre-TNESIII: The Once and Future Thread

I'd really like to see some templates from azale, bombshoo, LordofElves, and cicero.

LoE and cicero are more okay in my book because they've already provided a lot of info. Azale and bombshoo have been ghosts in this thread though, so I really need them in particular to get me some more information so I can make the final map and stats over the weekend.

If I don't see anything from azale or bombshoo by Sunday at the very latest, I'll consider you as having dropped due to lack of interest.

Eraric Valmaic (M, 84): The Patriarch of House Valmaic. Outwardly, he is calm, controlled and friendly with an aura of wisdom. While not an evil man, Eraric can be very Machiavellian when he believes the situation warrants it. His three oldest sons all died prematurely, which has left him with a deep sense of depression and regret, though he hides this with great skill. In his old age, he has grown frail and many expect that he is not long for this world.

Ildabald (M, 38): Oldest surviving son of Eraric. He has a similar demeanor to his father though he is lacking in diplomatic acumen. This would be fine, if not for his extreme ego which often causes him to butt heads with his more tactful brother, Valamir and more impulsive brother, Wigmar.

Valamir (M, 30): The middle son of Eraric, his skills as a diplomat are only surpassed by those of his father. While his years spent traveling has given him an above average knowledge of the rest of the world, it has also left him deeply bitter and distrustful, as he has seen humans at their worst.

Wigmar (M, 28): Affectionately referred to as “Wiggy” by his friends and family, Wigmar is the youngest surviving child of Eraric. He is impulsive, brash and has peculiar personal habits but is perhaps one of the greatest warriors of his generation. He knows of very little outside of the art of war, though he is often reluctant to admit this.

Theia (F, 32): Eraric’s only daughter and the closest thing the clan has to a matriarch since the death of her mother several years ago. She is undoubtedly the smartest of Eraric’s children and though she knows Ildabald will be her father’s successor, she is not worried as she is able to keep her brothers, save for Valamir, on a short leash. While she is technically married, she spends as little of her time with her husband as possible.

Gerbild (M, 62): Husband to Theia, he is significantly older than her and is entirely impotent both in and outside of the bedroom. Their marriage was the end result of a schoolgirl crush and Theia soon found the man to be much less interesting once they were officially wed. Though Eraric was reluctant to approve of the marriage, in the end, he did give his blessing only for Theia to later all but abandon Gerbild shortly later. He currently does very little besides putter around the royal household talking to the servants, as they appear to be the only ones who will listen to him.

Reccia (F, 28): Wife of Ildabald, though she is rather indifferent to him. She spends most of her time with her sister-in-law, Theia, who she considers to be her reason for living. Despite this, she does genuinely care for her sons and is a good mother.

Medolia (F, 30): Wife of Wigmar. She married her husband when she became pregnant with his child. She cares for little else other than her own image. She considers her husband primarily as means to an end and is deeply ashamed of her son, Aligern.

Isidore (M, 8): Oldest son of Idabald and Reccia. He is a little hell raiser.

Theohad (M, 3): Youngest son of Idabald. Too young to say or do much.

Aligern (M, 13): Son of Wigmar and Medolia. He is often thought to be dumb and/or mute by those who do not know him, but is in truth, rather insightful. Nonetheless, he prefers to mumble and grunt rather than speak in clear sentences. His reclusive nature greatly embarrasses his image obsessed mother.

Baia (F, 2): Daughter of Wigmar and Medolia. Too young to say or do much.

Feel free to continue to call yourselves lords if you like, but I've put together a system of heraldic precedence and categorized your houses accordingly.

On Nobility

Maelrik or Mael - This is the highest non-royal title that exists in the Isles. Its original translation is 'lesser king,' as it is believed the old Grayling homelands were more like a confederate high kingdom rather than a unified state. This hereditary title only belongs to those who can trace a lineage back before the Saga, and whose forefathers commanded many men at Ulk or Elming's side. Collectively form the high nobility with the Wardhelms. Known holders: Hartwell, Raskakalle, Siegaesc, Grijsman, Illen, Dennet.

Varrik or, more modernly Wardhelm - This is a potentially powerful title, the most powerful that the king has the authority to grant. The holder of the title is considered the king's champion or defender, typically meaning that a region's castles are given over to this man for upkeep and maintenance. Often used for holders of strategic straits, marches or passes. Equal in power, if not in precedence, to the Maels. Known Holders: g'Aurené, Vardel, Daufing, Mabun, Letten.

Fyr or Fyrhelm - A mid-range title often given to those of good blood but low circumstances. Can be independent or in fief to higher lords. A 'Fyr' was a noble warrior who distinguished himself on the field of battle, earning himself a gift of land from the king. They can often trace a direct ancestor back to the Saga, but he was not of great importance. This title has also been won by successful warring after the Saga, in the notable case of the Rising of Kathar. Known holders: Kathar, Skelton, Lovell, Valmaic, some older NPC vassals

Halder - The main title of the lower nobility. Its name literally means 'holder,' referring to a lord who controls a town, manor or castle at the behest of a larger lord. Often used to spin off cadet branches or reward skilled servants. Known holders: Violla, most NPC vassals

Ceorl or Karhelm - A knight, or a household warrior. Not typically independent landholders, trained soldiers are expected to be provided for in all things by their lord. As such they are quite loyal and quite expensive.

---

The Fennacht do not strictly follow the noble structure of the Graylings. Traditionally the head of their clan is called "The Old," as in "The Old Dugallach" or "The Old Seor". The ancient title of Ymherador has been revived in the last century by Clan Dugallach, and has been accepted with varying degrees of resentment by most of the other surviving independent clans. The Ymherador is a 'leal subject' of House Elming, and is considered by Graylings to be equivalent to a Maelrik in heraldic precedence.

---

Notes: As you can tell, the term 'helm' denotes a warrior, euphemistically by their iron helmets. Originally, "How many helms do you bring to my cause," and so on. A Wardhelm is a warrior-warden; preferred over the original Varrik which meant 'war-king,' hearkening back to an early Grayling period when there were many kings with many roles. High king, lesser king, war king etc. Naturally the throne has discouraged association of the word 'king' with non-royals. Fyrhelm means 'first helm,' a particularly skilled warrior deserving a large grant of land. Ceorl or Karhelm means 'man' or 'man-helm,' noting no particular importance.

A Maelrik's territory is a Maeldom. A Wardhelm's territory is a Warding. A Fyrhelm's territory is a Fyrding. A Halder's territory is a Halding.

Surprise surprise, azale has informed me that he's flaking out again.

In his place, we have the wonderful (and reliable) TMG coming on board to play as an Athsarin lord on the continent, who isn't technically part of the Grayling kingdoms. It would be great to get a replacement player for azale's lands though as they're in a highly strategic location; they can create another family background if they like of course.

My template will be forthcoming. I have suspect amounts of time and am not particularly coherent just at the moment.

Form updated with proper titles. I presume that Halda is the feminine version of Halder, given that one of my vassals is a female Halder.

House g’Aurené me
Sigil / Words: Golden Peacock on a Pale Green Background/Libaus an Etenao (Old Athsarin; Eng: Eternally Bountiful)
Lord: Wardhelm Courdre g’Aurené of the Coastwarding, M, 51
Heir: Wardling Hendrei g’Aurené, M, 24
Family: See here
Retainers: House Nijnheim – Fyr Vlaarfelt Nijnheim of the Spraikastel – Stoic, reserved, chafes at being vassal of g’Aurenés but respects their authority
House Hargenshem – Halder Adric Hargenshem of the Stenkeep – Formerly vassals of House Nijnheim, grateful to be under direct control of the Warding now.
Mayor Ajder Hulstaal of Vrella
Mayor Sulsao Arosim of Faarstad
Allies/Rivals: House to the south of Faarstad, Older Greyling houses are rivals, while the Greyhound is an old friend of the g'Aurenés
Sources of Income: Main avenue for trade between the mainland and the Isles, also good wine production
Holdings:

History: Courdre’s father helped the royal family with a large donation, became a Wardhelm.

Thlayli said:
Halda, Fyra, Vara/Wardess, and Maela are probably the proper female honorifics, yeah.
*grumble* *grumble* *grumble*

*grumble* *grumble* *grumble*

You're welcome to suggest alterations if you like, Mas. I was just filling the void for people who had requested I make a title system. And you're welcome to have a unique title if you want one.

Will the "King" and "Queen" still remain the official titles for the monarchy?

Thlayli said:
You're welcome to suggest alterations if you like, Mas. I was just filling the void for people who had requested I make a title system. And you're welcome to have a unique title if you want one.
*grumble* women *grumble* ruling *grumble* shames ancestors *grumble*

*grumble* women *grumble* ruling *grumble* shames ancestors *grumble*

I think the system of succession that the kingdoms run under allow the female children of the previous ruler to succeed them if there are no male children, with female children taking priority over male siblings.

Way to miss the point.

Begging for mercy from our benevolent Popish overlords vis a vis being camping, and having little/no Internet access. :blush:

My displeasure is noted, LoE.

Houses are either Agnatic or Agnatic-Cognatic, depending on their, ahem, personal traditions.

Unfortunately due to the lack of timely information from some individuals, I won't be able to launch the NES proper this weekend. Given that I have physics finals the following week, I'm going to set the tentative target start date for the NES at sometime between July 25 and July 30.

I should have a mostly-finalized political map up one-two days from now. Things that need to happen before the NES proper begins:

• Finalized Stats
  • A broad timeline of major events that occurred in the past several centuries
  • More information on culture
  • Terrain and regional descriptions, and descriptions of major cities and landmarks
  • Some form of bestiary from Bombshoo
  • A new terrain overlay for the map (showing fens, forests, and mountains) from Iggy.
  • An Update 0 to accompany the launch of the NES proper

Q: Thlayli, I've done everything you asked, what do I do noooow?

Give your holdings some unique flavor. Think about the people in your realm, traders, craftsmen, religious folk, and consider how they might affect your family, if at all. Feel free to even sketch out your castles if you have any drawing ability. Begin to write your first stories.

the Equiea Lourdesiers

An ancient equestrian lineage of Athsar-That-Was, the Lourdesiers claim descent from the hero Luredes. It is said the family was forced north over five centuries ago to the colony of Levica after their political and economic power had been undone in the capital by their rivals, the Martii. The Lourdesiers have since rendered good and leal service to the Republic and the Peregrin Council as frontier knights.

With the fall of Athsar, Tolemas Lourdesiers was named Peregrin of Lieve, and his descendants have held the position since - largely owing to their control of the Alsbourg. Now the ever-fragile power of the Peregrin Council wanes, and the Lourdesiers find that the well that is their faith in the dream that is the Republic runs dry at last.

Sigil and Words: In blue, a falcon surrounded by a wreath of laurels on a white field. "Surgis en Lancaras!" (Forward the Lances!)

the Dux-Peregrin: Xavid Rhodeus ge Lourdesiers (M, 41) - In his youth deeds done in the name of a republic dead and broken earned him fame and glory on the field. Age falls lightly upon him, and he stands with dignity and poise, his bearing regal. The Peregrins have called once more, but it is once too many. Xavid will not see his people suffer again in the name of a cause two hundred years lost, no matter its nobility. [Heroic, Dignified, Clever, Just, Idealist, Vain]

His Heir: Aejax ge Lourdesiers (19, M) - He has inherited his father's sense of justice, but not his belief in the strength of men. He holds himself aloof, and it seems some wound festers as if with venom beneath his skin, and a cool rage has been known to seize him in its grip. Possessed of a quiet intensity. A good horseman and lancer. [Skilled (Eques), Diligent, Just, Cynic, Temperamental, Distant]

Spoiler Family :
Jean-Hector ge Lourdesiers (M, 34) - Younger brother of the Dux-Peregrin. An indomitable brute of a man, but good natured and given to friendly spirits. Some might call him slow, others considerate. In either case, his judgement is not quick in coming, but it is implacable on its arrival. He is committed to his family above all other things. [Friendly, Hardy, Loyal, Lucky, Moral, Slow]

Corine ge Lourdesiers ne Joscelin (F, 37) - Wife to the Dux-Peregrin, and daughter of his Comes. An incomparable beauty, with flowing auburn hair and a graceful figure. She is prideful, and bends her will and that of those around her to purpose. Some say that her whispers at last convinced the Dux to refute the Council. She will not rest easily until her husband should have all that she wants for him. [Attractive, Proactive, Arrogant, Obsessive]

Olithia ge Lourdesiers ne Angelus (F, 25) - Unfortunately tall and the owner of an irregular face. Wife to Jean-Hector and sister of the Comes Basil Angelus. Eugenie is sweet and caring, and tries to make the best of every situation. Devoted to the gods and to her family. An attentive mother and a talented harpist. [Kind, Musical (Harp), Pious, Ugly.]

Lanne ge Lourdesiers ne Thibault (F, 65) - Calculating and deliberate, Lanne has made secure her late husband's legacy, maximizing the political advantages available to her sons through marriage. Well-spoken and well-written, her letters and appeals have swayed many to her family's side. However, in private she has a wicked tongue and a demeanor to match. Known to inflict physical punishment on her servants. Often at odds with her daughter-in-law, Corine. Known as "the Shrew". [Wise, Trained (Rhetoric & Letters), Patient, Cruel, Depraved]

Antheia Corine ge Lourdesiers (F, 14) - The middle child and sole daughter of the Dux. Her nose is often found buried in a book, and from them she has learned many things. Perhaps overly fond of the company of her handmaidens. [Smart, Homosexual]

Kaius ge Lourdesiers (M, 13) - The youngest child of the Dux. He has taken well to his father's imparted wisdom, and the strength of his conviction is firm. Often escapes the attention of his family, and has taken to various pursuits of craft, his chamber filled with carvings and toys. [Handy, Idealist]

Arvaud ge Lourdesiers (M, 7) - Jean-Hector's oldest child. An affable and adorable lad, and given to conversation. [Friendly]

Melanne ge Lourdesiers [F, 3] - Jean-Hector's youngest. Who knows who she might become?

Spoiler Comites :
Hendrei Joscelin (M, 62)

Basil Angelus (M, 40)

Liber Brixus (M, 29) - Of good equestrian blood. Childhood friend of Jean-Hector and married to the Dux's younger sister, Taesa (F, 30)

Holdings

Lieve - An old Athsarin city, Levica of elder days. Eponymous capital of the Dux-Peregrinate, and one of the largest cities remaining in the north. A great and bustling port sitting astride the mouth of the river Nen. Despite troubled days trade flows readily, the last embarkation for fine Athsarin goods and produce headed for the Isles of the Graylings. The heart of the city is girded by an ancient legion wall, tall and strong and proud. The outer city is protected by a newer wall of lesser craft and skill, built by order of the Peregrin Council to protect against barbarian depredation.

Tar Levicas - A legion tower of pale yellow stone stands at the city's center, watching over the river Nen from the western bank. Seat of the Lourdesiers in Lieve, though they are seldom in residence. A cold and brooding structure, carved with gargoyle Athsarin raptors. Spartan interior with few comforts.

Alsbourg - Here once was an ancient Fennacht motte. Sitting atop a fair and gentle hill amidst the idyllic countryside several leagues to the southeast of Lieve, the Alsbourg stands as a testament to the power held by the Peregrins even in this waning time. Athsarin Lancers ride out in reflection of ancient glory through a doubled gatehouse to fend off the foe. Built but three years after the first sack of Athsar to protect the northern frontier of the fracturing republic against barbarian encroachment. Two sets of curtain walls and eight towers protect the central keep. True seat of the Equiea Lourdesiers.

Arca Calia Borensis - The easternmost holdfast of the Lourdesiers, and a temple to the Goddess. Now a field of ruins, the city of Tirens once stood but a few leagues on, before it was put to the sack. But when the barbarians came for Calia's shrine the monks refused to flee, and the fury of their faith drove the invader back into the twisted wood of Silv Obscur. Bastions and turrets cling gracelessly to the scarred and tattered beauty of the old temple.

Brennes - A large town of over a thousand souls in the fertile western interior of the Dux-Peregrinate, the countryside of Brennes produces wine, cheese and wheat in astounding quantities. The town is sited on a clear spring on elevated land, and is protected by a strong wooden palisade and an embattled stone tower.

Tar Magnans - A great tower guards the southern approach of the Dux-Peregrinate, sitting in vantage over the Via Sulla. Incomparably tall, possessed of thick walls, a solid gate, and a well-stocked armory; it would take a great host indeed to capture the Tar. A bronzen bell hangs atop its height, its wailing toll warning folk for leagues around of raiders and ravagers sighted from on high.

Villages: Rentigny, Vassard, Charny, Nénil

- That's about all I have time to do, Thlayli. I hope its enough! I trust that you'll be able to fill in the gaps ably, particularly where the Comites of the Equiea are concerned, and maybe a few additional holdings as well. Whatever you think is appropriate!

Note: The name Lourdesiers was originally Luredii centuries ago. Not that that is important information. The Lourdesiers also hold particular reverence for their ancestor Luredes, vaguely like the Grayling practice of holding hearth gods.

I get swamped at work for a month and I miss this. Oh great.

I'll be keeping a close eye :) (Also, did Thlayli publish a self-criticism? I'm impressed).

I get swamped at work for a month and I miss this. Oh great.

I'll be keeping a close eye :) (Also, did Thlayli publish a self-criticism? I'm impressed).

Actually alex, there is a space for you, if you're interested in taking over the southern island territory recently vacated by azale. Hop on #nes or drop me a PM if you're interested.

Top Bottom