Sales figures?

DavisonACT

Chieftain
Just wondering if Firaxis have released any numbers on Civ V sales compared to IV to see if their bold gamble to attract new players to the franchise while annoying seemingly 90% of the Civ IV players worked out for them (and yes, I am one of the 10%).

Google tells me:
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/43507/sid-meiers-civilization-v/

A total of about 3 million units since release, NOT counting digital sales, which is clearly a pretty big error. However, digital sales aren't published as only the individual retailers keep track of them.

I guess you can get a rough estimate that saying that 1-2 digital copies were sold per hard copy, but that is just a guess.

I know that with all video games, particularly and specifically Civilization V, the rise of Let's Plays has brought in a lot of new gamers. I don't know whether or not the # of new players is significant vs the number of old players who lost interest but there is no doubt that Civ has attracted the new and that, however major or minor, YouTube videos have contributed to this

Thanks all - seems about on par with previous versions though the lack of digital sales always makes comparisons difficult. I only asked as I was curious if the sales figures would give us an idea of what direction they might go next (after any further V DLC or xpacs).

Don`t use sales results to see how popular or good a game is. With Steam, even if you hate the game you have to keep it, meaning sales guaranteed unlike with Civ 4 where you could return a game or resell it.

With Steam 100% sold is 100% sold and there are no 2nd hand resales. This does not give an accurate account of how many people actually like the game. I have Steam games I hate sitting in the attic because I can`t get rid of them, yet, the makers think this means I must love the game!

Remember this.

I don't think the OP is looking at how many people like the game. Nor do I really think 2nd hand sales would be all that statistically significant.

They wouldn't have made an expansion if sales of Vanilla and DLC were not strong.

It's an interesting one - will they try and regain the folks who liked I, II, III or IV more as well as keep some of the newer players. Is that even possible?

Top Bottom