Questions about The BUG Mod

1) When trying to host a LAN game it is not visable to other players (Workaround is to use a Direct IP game, so no huge loss, but if I am doing something wrong I'd love to know)

Everyone playing must use the same mod when mods are in play. This is a Civ4 matter, not BAT/BUG.

2) While playing Multi-player the scores show up for a bit then disappear.

This is fixed in the latest version that we will be releasing in a few weeks. The easy short-term solution is to disable the Advanced Layout on the Scores tab of the BUG Options screen: ALT + CTRL + O.

Do you have Lock Modified Assets turned on or off? Any other settings? I know others play with it in multiplayer because they reported the bug with the scoreboard. I'm not sure, however, if they played as a mod or not.

Lovely mod but a small problem, when I press ALT + CTRL + O the options page doesnt open.....I guess that is zero (0) and not O ? Either way, wether I press ALT + CTRL + O or ALT + CTRL + 0 nothing happens...! HELP!!

btw - I'm using BTS with the latest patch and the latest bug mod :) and I realise not its not a zero, but still wont open!

How did you install BUG? Using the EXE or ZIP or from SVN? As a mod or to Custom Assets? And you see all the features of BUG just fine?

I installed with the EXE (backedup my custom assests first as suggested).

I can see all bug features fine, lots of icons all over the screen and many add ons to various screens as expected.

Just no access to the options screen....

Also, as I installed with the exe and chose the standard (not the mod) setup, can I turn it on and off when I want to play with friends over lan or direct IP who have not got it installed? It seemed to be causing probs for us yesterday?

Thanks for your help and the great add on :)

Yes, you should be able to turn it off by checking Lock Modified Assets when starting a new game, but this affects everyone IIRC. BUG 3.0 had a problem with the scoreboard in multiplayer games, but I fixed this a while ago, and the latest SVN version works fine. See the download thread for easy instructions on getting the latest version from SourceForge.

Actually, can you upgrade to the latest version via SVN? Many problems were fixed and new features were added, and once you set it up you will be able to update to the latest version easily. I also suspect this will fix the problem with the options screen.

Yes, you should be able to turn it off by checking Lock Modified Assets when starting a new game, but this affects everyone IIRC.

if i did this could i join multiplayer games with no side effects and the bug mod off?

Actually, can you upgrade to the latest version via SVN? Many problems were fixed and new features were added, and once you set it up you will be able to update to the latest version easily. I also suspect this will fix the problem with the options screen.

Ok, I've followed you svn guide and got a "the bug project" with the svn files in and I exported to "BUG Mod" in my "My Docs > My Games > Beyond the sword" folder.

One small problem is I play with Next War as standard, is there any way of getting BUG to load up automatically now as it did before with the .exe install - I guess I am missing a small setting somewhere but not sure where?

update...

I have the following folder in my "My Docs > My Games > Beyond the sword" for BUG:

BUG MOD (which contains):
The bug project (which contains):
BUG Mod
CustomAssets
PublicMaps

and The BUG Project with all the SVN files.

When I start BTS or BTS:Next War as it stands BUG doenst load.

If I copy BUG Mod & CustomAssets & PublicMaps to the BTS folder (it overwrites the ones in there already) then when I start with BTS or BTS:Next War I have graphic glitches with no menus and city screens etc when my game loads up...something is amiss.....

Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

if i did this could i join multiplayer games with no side effects and the bug mod off?

My understanding is yes for LAN games. I believe that when playing internet games your CustomAssets folder is ignored no matter what you select as options. I haven't played any multiplayer games yet. Can someone else please chime in here? :)

One small problem is I play with Next War as standard, is there any way of getting BUG to load up automatically now as it did before with the .exe install - I guess I am missing a small setting somewhere but not sure where?

Next War is a mod itself, so it won't work with BUG without merging the two mods. Next War and BUG have one Python file in common: CvScreensInterface.py. You'd need to merge these files to make them work together and probably start by creating a new mod folder with all the files of both mods in it.

However, if you just want BUG to start automatically when you install it as a mod, you simply need to change your CivilizationIV.ini file. In it there's a "Mod = xxx" settings. Change xxx to "BUG Mod". However, below you're installing BUG to CustomAssets, so this isn't necessary.

If I copy BUG Mod & CustomAssets & PublicMaps to the BTS folder (it overwrites the ones in there already) then when I start with BTS or BTS:Next War I have graphic glitches with no menus and city screens etc when my game loads up...something is amiss.....

If you want to install BUG into CustomAssets as you had before, start by deleting the CustomAssets folder to remove the old BUG. Then re-copy the BUG Mod/CustomAssets folder to the BTS folder. This should fix these issues.

When playing a game using Next War, start a Custom Game with Lock Modified Assets selected. The mod doesn't have an INI file of its own to tell Civ to ignore CustomAssets. I don't know what Civ does by default. You could also copy another mod's INI file to Next War, rename it, and edit it so that it does this automatically.

hi - thanks for the reply.

its a shame that it was so easy to install from the .exe file and it all worked within next war (part from the ctrl + alt + o options screen) with no messing around.

installing by svn has been a real headache and i still cant get it working. I was happy withthe .exe install (apart from the missing options page). Any chance you could make the latest svn into an .exe please?

Thanks for your help though, I did love all the extra info this mod supplies and cant wait to use it again.

its a shame that it was so easy to install from the .exe file and it all worked within next war (part from the ctrl + alt + o options screen) with no messing around.

Doh! I just put two and two together -- that's the problem with following too many threads. :blush: I assumed these were two separate issues.

The reason you couldn't open the options screen is because the code to do this in BUG is in CvScreensInterface.py, and Next War has its own version of this file. Thus, BUG's code isn't being loaded.

That you had BUG working within Next War (without the options screen) tells me that you can have this just as well using the SVN version. In fact, with just a little work, you could have it working within Next War with the options screen, but let's get it working at all first. :)

installing by svn has been a real headache and i still cant get it working. I was happy withthe .exe install (apart from the missing options page). Any chance you could make the latest svn into an .exe please?

We'll be doing a new release in a couple weeks.

Until then, check out this post (and indeed the thread itself) for more SVN goodness. I think there's a current bug in BUG that is causing the problems with the latest SVN version. If your layout matches what's in the post of mine, then this is the problem, and I'll see about fixing it tomorrow.

That you had BUG working within Next War (without the options screen) tells me that you can have this just as well using the SVN version. In fact, with just a little work, you could have it working within Next War with the options screen, but let's get it working at all first.

If you could tell me how to that I would be a happy man :)

We'll be doing a new release in a couple weeks.
( a new .exe)

..but if it involves waiting for this I dont mind as that may be a bit easier?

Until then, check out this post (and indeed the thread itself) for more SVN goodness. I think there's a current bug in BUG that is causing the problems with the latest SVN version. If your layout matches what's in the post of mine, then this is the problem, and I'll see about fixing it tomorrow.

I'll be honest, all the SVN stuff, although I understand it, is a bit OTT for me, give me a nice .exe that works and I will be happy everytime!!

Thanks for the hard work though, the parts of BUG that are working for me already have improved my game (some of the options that are on teh F1, F2 screens etc are missing withing next war but I guess you said why in your last reply).

Cheers, Steve

Is there a way to use the BUG mod with an alternative CIV IV root folder selected? I mean a case of running Civ4BeyondSword.exe with an "/ALTROOT=" commandline parameter, which moves the root folder elsewhere. In which case the BUG mod fails to find its "BUG Mod.ini" file. Therefore it cannot access alt+ctrl+o options, and there can also be other malfunctions, I presume.

Is there a way to use the BUG mod with an alternative CIV IV root folder selected?

I'm looking into this, and it appears that I could. Can you give me an idea of what you use this for? For example, do you have two user directories? Or do you just want the BTS folder outside of My Docs?

I can locate the directory where the BUG Python code exists, but this won't help if you are running BUG as a mod installed to the Mods folder inside the BTS install folder (not the My Docs folder).

I'm looking into this, and it appears that I could. Can you give me an idea of what you use this for? For example, do you have two user directories? Or do you just want the BTS folder outside of My Docs?
The latter. I'm using a localized WinXP version where "My Docs" is translated (with non-english characters), so Civ fails to use it for savegames etc.

For the moment I seem to have found some sort of solution myself - just copied the BUG Mod folder (with ini inside) to My Docs/My Games/Beyond the Sword. So it seems to run from my alternative BTS root folder while storing its ini file in that other "regular" folder.

You mean you but the BUG Mod folder into the localized My Docs folder, right? I did find that Civ itself doesn't seem to handle localized directory names while Python (the programming language it uses for Mods like BUG) handles them just fine.

If you meant to write "placed" instead of "but" - yes, that's what I did.

Heh, I meant "put", but placed works just as well.

I've investigated further, and sadly Civ (or Civ's Python layer Boost) gives the incorrect and incomplete path to the modules that are loaded. In Python, each module that is loaded has an attribute __file__ which is supposed to be the full path to the file from which it was loaded.

Instead of

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets\Python\BUG\BugPath.py​

for BugPath I get

Assets\Python\BUG\BugPath.py​

Two problems: Assets instead of CustomAssets and no root. So Civ is simply making "Assets/Python" the root from which all modules are loaded, regardless of where they were actually loaded from.

End result: my whole concept of making this automatic is impossible. I cannot find the alternate root.

Solution: Add a setting to the options screen to allow you to override the BTS folder. This works if you always use the same alternate root. It isn't so nice if you want multiple alternates. Of course, this doesn't work because you cannot open the options screen. Bah!

Alternate Solution: Add a setting to the config XML file which is stored in the Assets along with the Python. This allows each alternate root to specify itself. The downside is that the user would have to modify this setting by editing each XML file.

Given that you have a workaround right now, I'll hold off on implementing either of these solutions until a) it becomes a higher priority or b) I find a way to make it automatic.

I don't have BUG installed. I've just tried downloading a game from strategy & tips 'Noble Domination' that was running BUG 3.0. I got to the initial loading screen, then had a message that I needed bug installed, the game then crashed. Not such a big deal. However the initial loading screen was still there. I couldn't load any of my saved games. The only way round it was to reboot the computer.

@pigswill - That's quite strange. It should just say you don't have the mod and exit, but I haven't tried it myself. Since you didn't have BUG installed, it's clearly a problem with Civ itself. There's no way to add code to a saved game, so nothing in BUG was the cause.

Top Bottom