CFC TG1: Calling All Settler, Chieftain, and Warlord Players

lurker's comment: Bah, I missed the opening. Hmm, with rome I would've thought ironworking would've worked better than horses. Legions are strong, and turn into longswordsmen. Still can't go wrong with horsies, and it's good practice for other civs :) Unless you meet alex.

I definitely support exploring more, looking for AI. (If we havn't met even an explorer yet, I don't feel threatened.) And knowing that region around the Horses is a must for our evil intentions.

lurker's comment: Hmm, with rome I would've thought ironworking would've worked better than horses

I tend to find horses are more available then iron. I've had continents without any iron at all, yet I almost always have quite a bit of horses. Plus, my own preference is towards horses due to their speed.

@Centerfinger: If you feel confident in our plan, then go ahead and play. Just remember, if you're unsure about something then stop and post your progress here so we can discuss it. Then, after we've figured it out, then continue your turnset.

Also, I realize this early in the game there isn't much to do, or at least it doesn't appear there is. Still, I'd like us all to discuss our plans before playing your turnset. That way we all know what's going on and can better discuss our game. In my opinion, this is why I've found SG games can typically be played on a higher difficulty level then what individually players are accustomed to playing.

I'm good with the plan, but I do have a question. I'm not sure if the worker will populate on my turn, but if it does what should he do? I'm terrible at worker management.

It's best to improve tiles our city is using first. In this case, I'd improve the wheat first, followed by the fp. Typically I farm any grass adjacent to a river and put a trading post on non-river grass.

That is my general worker strategy/suggestion as well. Not that it means it is a good strategy, but so far it seems to make sense.

Alright, here are the screens. I will probably getting a better handle on snapping screens after a few turns.

Here are the highlights of my Turn.

-Explored Ruins got 30 culture, adopted the honor tree social policy
-Met bismark and discovered Belin, Bis wanted us to go to war with Siam, but I declined. Later asked for pact of secrecy and I accepted
-Met Siam and found his capital
-Destroyed a Barb Camp and got 25 gold, warrior upgraded to Drill I, warrior is injured so I started heading him back towards Rome
-Wheel researched, started on horseback riding
-worker completed, started him working farm and started settler

Here is the save. View attachment Augustus Caesar_0021 BC-3160.Civ5Save

Ahh so we aren't alone after all! Putting a city by the horses will not amuse them...good thing we don't care about that, hm? :)

Btw. I think the spot one left of the warrior would be ok. Will have some food closeby (farming the tiles at the lake). Also can get the cow tile quickly. We'll have to buy the horse tile however, but I see that as a minor problem.

Later asked for pact of secrecy and I accepted

From what I've read its best to always decline pacts of secrecy. This is what I typically do, but note, I don't have enough experience to know why its best. Hopefully some of our lurkers will know the answer.

-Met Siam and found his capital

Nice and he has silver!

-Destroyed a Barb Camp and got 25 gold, warrior upgraded to Drill I,

For future reference for everyone, promotions don't have to be used right away. Experience isn't lost even when upgrading.

Nice turnset. Now that we have two possible targets, we need to figure out which one we wish to target first.

Btw. I think the spot one left of the warrior would be ok. Will have some food closeby (farming the tiles at the lake). Also can get the cow tile quickly. We'll have to buy the horse tile however, but I see that as a minor problem.

I haven't looked at the save yet, but from the screenshot I tend to agree.

I'll look at the save later and discuss more. Remember, our primary goal at this point is invading one of our neighbors.

From what I've read its best to always decline pacts of secrecy. This is what I typically do, but note, I don't have enough experience to know why its best. Hopefully some of our lurkers will know the answer.

lurker's comment: I've read that forming pacts of secrecy against a future target is a good idea to help prevent wars. And forming a pact of cooperation with a target is real bad news.

lurker's comment: I would probably choose Siam as first target since it is too close and you have to deal with them sooner or later.

-Destroyed a Barb Camp and got 25 gold, warrior upgraded to Drill I, warrior is injured so I started heading him back towards Rome

lurker's comment:
You can order your warrior to rest up and heal wherever he is. He heals at double rate inside your borders, but heading home, healing, and heading out again is usually slower than healing wherever he is.

I know some people like to keep a warrior home to defend against wandering barbarians, but I don't, early on. Learning more about the surroundings, and in particular meeting as many city-states as possible, is to me more valuable than saving the inconvenience of an invasive brute.

My usual intention is to keep warriors out wandering 'till they're at 30 xp (max available from barbarians), and then bring them home, but send out a new warrior for continued exploration.

Ok I looked at the save. My plans for 10 turns:
- fortify the warrior there, so no barb camp will have spawned when the settler is ready.
- once the farm is ready, start roading towards horse city

Should I continue scouting the south, or would you think its better to explore the area around Siam's capital (since they'll be our first target probably, being closest)?

Otherwise I don't think there'll be much to do yet. Let me know when I can start my turns :)

- once the farm is ready, start roading towards horse city

Make sure that our worker starts improving that horse as soon as possible. Remember, it only has to be improved to be connected, no road is needed.

Should I continue scouting the south, or would you think its better to explore the area around Siam's capital (since they'll be our first target probably, being closest)?

Personally I'd prefer to bring the scout back up and see what's on the other side of Siam first.

Otherwise I don't think there'll be much to do yet. Let me know when I can start my turns :)

Wait just a bit, I was hoping others would state their thoughts on the game.

Alright, just took a look at the save. Since we're building a settler, growth is stopped. I'd suggest taking the citizen off the fish and assigning him to the wine while the settler is being built, for the additional +1 :gold:. Production stays at 8 :hammer:/turn.

Its going to take five turns to get the scout back up around Siam, which will waste turns, but its best IMO to know what's around Siam before attacking them.

Fortifying our warrior in the spot its in would be best. It'll take five turns to heal, but while were waiting any foreign units coming from Rio will pass near our warrior, thereby allowing us to meet them.

If you're able to play now, go ahead. My main concern was peeking at the save before you continued. I would prefer more of our players take a look at the save and discuss each turn, but this weekend may be difficult for some due to Halloween. I know I was busy all yesterday with pre-Halloween stuff with my child.

Well I'll start then. Not much to do yet anyway, might as well get the ball rolling!

I like Methos's suggestions. Especially about citizen management. Good one.

Yes, go for the tile suggested and buy the horses tile.

Nothing eventful happened.

21 - 3160BC
- Warrior moved one W
- Scout starts moving back north
- Rome: citized moved from flood plain to wine for extra gold

- warrior fortifies

25 - 3000BC
- Most literate people (its not us, I'm afraid!):

- farm finished, worker moved

- worker starts a road toward horse city

30 - 2800BC
- scout survived battle with a barb, and discovers a ruin which he'll likely not get :(

Next things to do:
- settler finishes next turn -> move to horse city (spot where warrior fortifies OK for everyone?)
- next build? another warrior wouldn't hurt, to explore more. Monument would be nice as well. Our budges is quite low however, and will get lower until the trade route to our horse city is finished.
- Don't forget to move the citizen off the wine again, so we don't delay growth unneccessarily

UP NEXT: Sindri Pink

Attachments

• Augustus Caesar_0030 BC-2800.Civ5Save
    454.2 KB · Views: 75
lurker's comment:
I'm dubious about the value of that road. It's going to cost 5 gpt maintenance, and for the initial small cities it only generates 3 gpt. As mentioned, cash is limiting still. It's not a military concern, as all the horses will be on Siam's border already when hostilities start.

Something I do like doing with early workers (once worked tiles are improved) is clear random forests. They're 30 resources each, even if they're not yet within your cultural borders.

Since you'll have a second city soon, you'll probably want a second worker pretty soon. Now, I like building a monument first in newly founded cities, so that city won't be able to build a worker for a long time. That's why I often build a second worker in my starting city right after building the settler.

Top Bottom