Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

1. Cities within my Civ do not share techs, even though I have a road system in place. How do I get it to whenever I discover/arrive at a tech, this tech is available at my other cities concurrently. I find it annoying that I have to start all over again with the techs for each city, or at least I am no where near the same tech level throughout my Civ.
When you discover a tech, every city of your empire gains the tech, and no road is needed. However, you may lack a specific resource in that city (ex. you have discovered bronze working but can't build axemen in a city because copper isn't connected). What does it mean that you have to research techs for every city? Techs are a "national advance", if you discover one, all your cities will know it.
2. Is there a simple diagram which shows you the tech progressions? Yes, I am know that Great People & Wonders speed up and/or influence the tech progression. And, please don't tell me to use the in-game Civopedia, as it becomes a jumbled mess for me to figure out as a game progresses.
Press F6 to see the whole tech tree, and check the diplomatic screen to see which techs the other civs have.
3. I have noticed that Longbowmen take down bombers. This isn't right, unless that was meant to be in the game for balance reasons.
Longbowmen don't take down bombers. Check again.
4. I have asked Napoleon to join with me in a war against Alexander, which Napoleon did. But, even though Napoleon massed his troups around several of Alexander's cities, he never fought...even after I kissed and made up with Alexander, and the two were still at war. Also, these Civs were next to each other. A bug, or another reason for this?
Are you sure? Probably they fought, but you didn't see the battles. Else... they are just lazy.
5. Is there a way to pull in the mod builder into MP? Yes, it can open up cheating, but family is playing, and we wanted to experiment with different objects while we MP.

6. Is there a simple way to change the number of turns to finish the game, and place it as one of the menu choices (call it "Super Quick")? I may want to have a game be completed, say, in 200 turns. Maybe I should say, and easy way to do this.
As far as I know, there's no way to do such things.
7. I see that there is an expansion pack coming out. Why would anyone want to buy it if mods and scenarios are aplenty at CivFanatics? I am not trying to be a jerk, I am just asking...Am I missing something? Perhaps the expansion pack will also include an easy-to-use game editor?
The expansion is making the game better, bigger, more stable. It will include new civs, new leaders, new traits, new units. I know there is plenty of them in the forums, but that will be a professional work, with animated leaders and tweaked new features.

Hello Mucco.

I tried to attach a screen capture where you'll see that a Pikeman has taken down a bomber. It was a Lowbowmen before, but I didn't screen capture that one.

It says my file exceeds what I can put on the forum, it is 1.31M. Hmmm, though others can attach their screen captures. There must be a way to post it here...

John

You won't be able to post a file larger than 0.5M, but a screenshot really shouldn't be anything like that large.

Does a promotion un-fortify a unit?

My longbowman defends an attack. The next turn he is up for promotion, I select whichever promotion I feel suit my need. After the promotion, the longbowman is active. Is he un-fortified at that moment? Did I just lose my +35% bonus for being fortified for a while by promoting him?

ChicagoCubs said:
Does a promotion un-fortify a unit?

My longbowman defends an attack. The next turn he is up for promotion, I select whichever promotion I feel suit my need. After the promotion, the longbowman is active. Is he un-fortified at that moment? Did I just lose my +35% bonus for being fortified for a while by promoting him?
It does un-fortify (or wake) the unit, but you do not lose the bonus, provided you re-fortify before the end of the turn.

Essentially for a unit to keep/accumulate the bonus it must be fortified when you end the turn with all of its movement points intact (green dotted circle). Awarding a promotion does not move the unit, but upgrading removes the movement points, so you will lose the fortify bonus when you upgrade units.

whats the difference between the civs?? except for the UU.. and "starting tech"....

are there any differences between chosing Saladin, Elisabeth or Kahn???

All of the different leaders have character traits that lead to some sort of bonus. For example, a Spiritual leader means that your civ won't have a period of anarchy while changing civics. A Philosophical means that your cities generate Great People points faster. These traits do other things as well. All the traits are different, and every leader has two traits.

So Saladin is much different from Kahn, and both of those leaders are different from Elizabeth.

Check your game manual for all the details.

Additonally, there is a difference in how the AI will act (unless you are playing with random personalities) under a given situation, changing from AI to AI, which changes how the game will go even more than the traits of a civ, it's almost certain that Montezuma will attack you before the end of the game, while Ghandi is a much more devious player.

Is there an XP limit for units? In the game I'm playing now I had one Praetorian that I made a medic for the group he was with. Turns out he is the only survivor from the original SoD and now has 54/65 XP. He has seven promotions and is 11 XP from getting another. Needless to say, I no longer attack with him unless the combat odds are 99% or greater. I was wondering, though, if there is a limit to the XP a unit can earn, or the number of promotions.

Oh, and I play on Marathon speed -- any other speed and the units just become obsolete too quickly. I like to experience each age as I pass through it. If it weren't for Marathon speed, and the Japanese providing me with an XP farm, he would never have gotten that many promotions. I just wish I had known he was going to have that many promo's. I would have chosen them differently. As it stands, he is the best jack-of-all-trades medic the world has ever seen, but he could have been really specialized.

Hi, I play on Noble (im a beginer) and I often get through the game with one Civ ahead of me on points, aalways about 200points ahead of me. What is the best way to take down this civ? If I go to war with anyone I slide down the points scale very quickly.
How do you win this game????

MrCynical said:
You won't be able to post a file larger than 0.5M, but a screenshot really shouldn't be anything like that large.

The screenshot is that large...I use ScreenHunter.

When I get a moment, I will figure this out and post this strange sight.

John

I have questions about the desert war scenario.
First, I'm not sure what's the objective. I believe that it is to control all cities that are written above.
But how can I conquer them without any transport unit?
As far as I checked, there are no transport units there. Can anyone help me with this?

solvero said:
I have questions about the desert war scenario.
First, I'm not sure what's the objective. I believe that it is to control all cities that are written above.
But how can I conquer them without any transport unit?
As far as I checked, there are no transport units there. Can anyone help me with this?
The objective is to control those cities, yes.

You get the ability to build transport units as a scritpted "event" when you reach some year.

Be forewarned: not a lot of work was put into this scenario. "Half-assed" comes to mind, just like the American Revolution one.

Earth 1000 AD and even the Greek World one are much better...

By the way, if anyone has a list of what they consider to be the best user-made scenarios out there, I'd be interested.

mice said:
Hi, I play on Noble (im a beginer) and I often get through the game with one Civ ahead of me on points, aalways about 200points ahead of me. What is the best way to take down this civ? If I go to war with anyone I slide down the points scale very quickly.
How do you win this game????
An idea might be to buy in another civ with tech, once you get a good dogpile going with aditional civs there will be little he can do.:evil:

Thanks for your reply, but .. I dont understand what it is .. " buy in another civ with tech" and "dogpile going with other civs". I'm keen to know what this is ... ( newbie )
can you or anyone explain it in more simple words. Thanks agian

mice said:
Thanks for your reply, but .. I dont understand what it is .. " buy in another civ with tech"
Basically, use your techs and/or gold to get a third, currently neutral, civ to declare war on your target. Keeps you from being at war yourself, and hopefully that will cause the civ to drop in points.

and "dogpile going with other civs". I'm keen to know what this is ... ( newbie ) can you or anyone explain it in more simple words. Thanks agian
See if you can get multiple civs to declare war on your target. If two or more are taking chunks out of his military and empire, he'll drop down in points even faster.

You can then swoop in and take some juicy (and vulnerable) cities, add them to your empire, and watch your own score climb.

Heres a list of the error messages I get during init XML (uncached):

There are more siblings than memory allocated for them in CvXMLLoadUtility::SetVariableListTagPair
Current XML file is GameInfo/CIV4CultureLevelInfo.xml

Tag: GAMESPEED_MARATHON in Info class was incorrect. Current XML file is: GameInfo/CIV4CultureLevelInfo.xml

I get these two error messages six times each while loading. Sometimes I get to see an intro commercial, but most of the time it crashes before that.

It only started with patch 1.52 and it has nothing to do with the Harkonnen patch (which I removed entirely).

(and yes, I am posting this everywhere, and yes I emailed tech support... its been a while)

hi...is it possible to create a new playable civ through modding... i think im the worst civ player out there im stuck on noble and i just cant build enough military units AND keep up in the tech race at the same time with the AI civs... im either too weak or too primitive to defeat anyone... anyway id like to create a zulu civ with shaka zulu as the leader and i was wondering if it was posible...

Can you mod the AI, to for example change how they make war, or their build priorities?

hi...is it possible to create a new playable civ through modding... i think im the worst civ player out there im stuck on noble and i just cant build enough military units AND keep up in the tech race at the same time with the AI civs... im either too weak or too primitive to defeat anyone... anyway id like to create a zulu civ with shaka zulu as the leader and i was wondering if it was posible...

Yes it's possible. Try the creation and customization forum for the information on how to.

Can you mod the AI, to for example change how they make war, or their build priorities?

I don't think you can do much to the AI without the SDK, which hasn't been released yet.

Top Bottom