How many of you 'cheat' when playing single-player?

Which 'cheats' do you use when playing Civ?

• I'll reroll a start I don't like.

Votes: 97 65.1%
  • I'll load an earlier save game if something doesn't go my way.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • I use infoaddict to see information not available in the game.

Votes: 31 20.8%
  • I use unbalanced MODs (i.e. Brazil All-Uniques, American Domination, etc.)

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I'll use IGE to add/change things in my favor.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • I'll use exploits like pillage heal.

Votes: 32 21.5%
  • I'll ONLY play as a top-tier civilization (Babylon, Poland, etc.)

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • None of the above - any civ, no reroll, no restart, nothing.

Votes: 22 14.8%

• Total voters
I only restart for Tundra's

Although Jungle Capitols are pains in the ass at first, after Acquiring Great Library, National College, and fill out the Liberty for an early Great Scientist, I end up with crazy insane science for universities. Even better when I put oxford university also in that capitol.

Very rarely, I will do a reroll. I don't generally reroll to get a favorable position, though. Usually it's just because the map looks like it will be boring.

(As such, I voted "none of the above".)

I think that refers to pillaging, repairing, then pillaging again.

It's a part of the game they put there on purpose. Why else would they let you repair enemy improvements? So I don't see it as cheating, but I don't do it much.

Without an agreed definition of what is SP cheating I think the thread will generate more heat than light. To me cheating is trying to do over, to change history. Reloading because you lost a battle is lame and I never do it. Scouting the whole map then restarting for a really awesome victory turn count is lame and I never do it. Reloading because you missed a wonder is lame too.

Sometimes I reload (cheat) when I have just blundered. Clicked the wrong tile and sent my super-artillery to a death tile instead of killing the enemy. Forgot that I was supposed to change research this turn before clicking Next Turn. That sort of thing. I am old and don't have time to live with avoidable accidents. If I start a game with a strategy in mind and the start doesn't suit it, I reroll, but not too often.

Playing on a slow computer helps keep me honest. Reloading can take longer than a coffee break, and I grind my own beans by hand.

Why else would they let you repair enemy improvements?

Because it is sometimes a useful way to help out an ally CS or AI? They lose their workers too easy.

Reloading because you lost a battle is lame and I never do it. Scouting the whole map then restarting for a really awesome victory turn count is lame and I never do it.

I agree on these two.

Reloading because you missed a wonder is lame too.

Well, the computer cheats sometimes too! Missing a wonder by one turn is well worth a reload!

Sometimes I reload (cheat) when I have just blundered.

I am still throwing the unit garrisoned into water instead of a new workboat! I would love to know what the UI is doing that I keep doing that!

Playing on a slow computer helps keep me honest.

That has helped me improve my game too! But I think I have learned much, much more from reloading than I ever would have from “working through” stupid set backs.

Because it is sometimes a useful way to help out an ally CS or AI? They lose their workers too easy.

How does repairing an enemy improvement help your allies?

Well, the computer cheats sometimes too! Missing a wonder by one turn is well worth a reload!

You must tell me about the times your computer cheated by reloading. :D

I am still throwing the unit garrisoned into water instead of a new workboat! I would love to know what the UI is doing that I keep doing that!

The UI sucks. Quite often I find the camera switches to position X where unit Y is, I hear the unit Y sound, but Y is not the selected unit.

How does repairing an enemy improvement help your allies?

Good point! If they did not think it was an exploit, they could have allowed it for territory where one not at war.

You must tell me about the times your computer cheated by reloading.

LOL, the computer cheats differently than I do!

Top Bottom