Is there a table that gives the accepted best choice of pantheon?

Walter R

Great Engineer
Often the optimum choice is blindingly obvious (e.g. you are surrounded by Gold and Silver), but to me at least on other occasions less so. I'm not asking the question "Which pantheon is best?" in general, I mean from a given start situation which would you choose? I am willing to bet that something exists on the Forum on this topic but I couldn't find what I was after - can anybody point me in the right direction?

I don't think it exists, out of all the mechanics Pantheon is purely situational-based, you can't It's impossible to predict the first 6 surrounding (or more) hexes in order to judge what Pantheon would be best.

Yes, that's part of the skill of the game, looking at your early map, and choosing the optimal pantheon. On certain map, the choice is obvious, but it might not be there when it comes time to select.

If there is no clear cut choice, you can't go wrong with the +1 happiness per city.

Also, I noticed that there is a pantheon for Copper and Salt, but its not in my version of G&K, is that one only in BNW? It would be great to have it in G&K.

Is there a table that gives the accepted best choice of pantheon?

A comprehensive table I think would end up being unweildy. I think the first question you have to ask yourself is, Am I trying to found a religion? If yes, pick the faith based pantheon that best matches your dirt. If no, pick the panethon you will get the most use out of in the very near term (because you will be losing the panethon before too long). Can you describe a situation where it really was up in the air?

I noticed that there is a pantheon for Copper and Salt, but its not in my version of G&K, is that one only in BNW?

It is probably my poor reading comprehension, but I underestimated how much BNW enhanced the religion system. For example, I missed entirely that there were new pantheons. I though Reformation just meant one more belief, not a whole other set of beliefs. I have very much enjoyed this aspect of the expansion more than I had expected.

BNW added 4 new pantheons (including Earth Mother), nerfed Ceremonial Burial, Peace Loving, and Religious Texts, changed Cathedrals (to include Great Work of Art slot), revamped the Piety policy tree (twice), and added a new religious wonder (Borobudur) and the World Religion and trade route pressure mechanics. Pretty robust set of changes overall.

Best Pantheon is extremely situational as its normally a local terrain based one.
Given sufficient local suitable terrain, faith ones highly preferred over those pantheons not providing faith.

When I see no obvious one based on terrain... I go with GodKing...
otherwise, most of the time, it will jump in your face wich one is the bese.

of course GodKing only applies to your capital, but especialy in the begining, its a great kick starter...

it will boost everything in your capital by +1 at a time where everything is still probably under 10...

BNW added 4 new pantheons (including Earth Mother), nerfed Ceremonial Burial, Peace Loving, and Religious Texts, changed Cathedrals (to include Great Work of Art slot), revamped the Piety policy tree (twice), and added a new religious wonder (Borobudur) and the World Religion and trade route pressure mechanics. Pretty robust set of changes overall.

I don’t really agree that Religious Texts was nerfed so much as changed, since it now works over trade routes. I pick it over IP most times that I have the opportunity. It is a shame that Ceremonial Burial and Peace Loving were degraded so hard, but I guess they were OP.

Some interesting replies, thanks.

Whilst there are the occasional times when I genuinely cannot see which pantheon I could choose, I guess I was really looking for what the consensus was. For instance, if my capital has a lot of hills I'm likely to build several mines - this may mean that the food side is weak so I'll be looking for something to boost it, but I'll still be interested in faith/culture etc. And so on.
All I could find were best/worst type polls, and a bunch of stuff on tenets. FYI I ususally try and found a religion unless a) all that's left are the dregs and/or b) I'm sat near some powerful zealot and their follower beliefs are worth having.

I try and found most games since it adds an interesting thing to do early, and most times the only opportunity cost is the several turns that it takes to build an early shrine. That said, it almost seems like a waste to have to use the pantheon to get faith, when (if I could count on getting a religion) I would rather have more food or hammers. Even getting the dregs is better than not founding IMHO. Tithe always helps a bit, and the CS conversion quests are easy to fulfill.

Your pantheon should not be based on a single city, but rather all the dirt you will be settling quickly. In BNW, low-food cap on hills can be boosted by food trade routes, but you don't have that option in GnK, so I appreciate your concern there. Can you reliably build Stonehenge? That alternative way to found was nerfed hard in BNW with the Halloween Patch.

Top Bottom