Altar Victory Too Easy ?

morchuflex

Emperor
Hello.

I've just scored my second Altar victory in a row, on Emperor level, and it seemed a bit easy. Granted, I got some luck, finding myself isolated on a large island, so I had no wars to fight... But it still did feel a bit early and anti-climactic.

Without any particular optimization, I won on turn 290 (normal speed), and I clearly could have won much earlier by focussing towards this victory even sooner. There are so many ways to generate priests (hence prophets) that I got even more than I needed, even without using the Pacifism civic. I even didn't play a philosophical leader... :eek:

BTW, is the AI capable of targetting this kind of victory? Is the AI even capable of winning (at all)? Sorry if these questions sound naive... :confused:

Hello.

I've just scored my second Altar victory in a row, on Emperor level, and it seemed a bit easy. Granted, I got some luck, finding myself isolated on a large island, so I had no wars to fight... But it still did feel a bit early and anti-climactic.

Without any particular optimization, I won on turn 290 (normal speed), and I clearly could have won much earlier by focussing towards this victory even sooner. There are so many ways to generate priests (hence prophets) that I got even more than I needed, even without using the Pacifism civic. I even didn't play a philosophical leader... :eek:

BTW, is the AI capable of targetting this kind of victory? Is the AI even capable of winning (at all)? Sorry if these questions sound naive... :confused:

an isolated island is your best defenece because AI is simply incapable of amphibious invasions in 8.xx wildmana.

Altar victory shouldn't be that easy considering how far down both the Religious and Magical tech trees you have to go.

Still, not ever having to research anything else due to isolation certainly helps.

Failing that, turn off the Altar Victory condition. Still worth building the Altars, even if it can't win you the game.

an isolated island is your best defenece because AI is simply incapable of amphibious invasions in 8.xx wildmana.

BTW, are there any plans to fix this? Could Tholal's "More naval AI" patch be adapted to WM? That would be tremendous! :)

Yes AI needs to learn how to use navy, at least the Laun AI. ^^

BTW, is the AI capable of targetting this kind of victory?

Yes!

Is the AI even capable of winning (at all)?

Oh, yes, I lost a game once against the AI, because it completed the altar.

Altar victory shouldn't be that easy considering how far down both the Religious and Magical tech trees you have to go.

Still, I think it should be made be made a little bit harder. In my opinion one should not be able to build that altar in secrecy! A warning should be given to other civs for every step reached and all steps should be listed in the Victory Conditions screen! Maybe civs should even get a diplo malus with civs that are opposed to the altar.

i never play with altar victory because i want to use the thing. it give such a nice bonus (compared to the tower of mastery for example) there is nothing better then having a 50+ population scion city with 50+ priests :D

Yes, AI is winning, but I usually play on immortal with "increasing difficulty" enabled, so very early you are on deity-level. You can also enable "agressive AI", but sometimes AI focuses too much on unit-stacks and gets economical problems. To spice things a bit up, you can play on the "erebus-continent"-map, so that all your enemies are within easy war distance. To pet your masochistic soul, you can enable "one-city-challenge" and/or "no-settler" (if "and" it is a disadvantage for your ai-enemy, but normally he then goes to conquer barb- or pc-cities) as options in custom game. Then, normally, the game is a bit more challenging. "Raging barbs" and "barbarian world" is also nice, next to the dragons and pirates enabled. And wild and deadly mana.
Usually, if you enable all vic-cond. it runs for culture, especially if it is kuriotate... but I lost a lot of games due to rushes. Also altar and religious vics. ... domination is rare, if you don't play the "one-city-challenge".

Greez,

Tschuggi

Still, I think it should be made be made a little bit harder. In my opinion one should not be able to build that altar in secrecy! A warning should be given to other civs for every step reached and all steps should be listed in the Victory Conditions screen! Maybe civs should even get a diplo malus with civs that are opposed to the altar.

yeah, I definetly need to update the victory screen for the new victory conditions.

Top Bottom