New Features @ Civ V homepage

So that's one more feature that now works simplified as in CivRev. And more feature making me think Civ5 may be just the selling title for CivRev2 for PC...

:rolleyes: If Civ5 was CivRev2 it wouldn't have happiness either.

So circus is in the game, explaining that screenshot

lol using the word pissed off seems a bit extreme. Is that a cuss word?

The new video by GameStar shows a large Empire where several of those "circuses" are spread around the map. Sometimes three to a city, so I'm pretty sure those are Trading posts.

In wartime, for example, it might be a good idea to focus on production to get military units trained quickly, or you might want to focus on gold to upgrade your obsolete units.

Does this put an end to the automatic upgrade speculation that has been floating around? I was really looking forward to NOT have to manually update all my units.

As a city gains culture, it will acquire additional tiles in the surrounding unclaimed territory. The faster it gains culture, the faster its territory will grow. Each city acquires territory depending upon its own cultural output. When it reaches a certain level, it will “claim” a new tile (if any are available.)

You can also expend gold to “purchase” tiles; this is entirely independent of the city’s own acquisition based upon its culture.

And this seems to confirm that you have no control over where the City expands with its culture and can only influence the expansion with gold. I had hoped there was a feature for manual culture expansion for more micromanaging.

Also nice to see the effects of Unhappiness explained. The mechanic reminded me at first of the Stability rating from the Europa Universalis Games. The negative effects don't seem to be as drastic. Just imagine though what you could do, if there were once again Spies that could create unrest. You could basically collapes an enemies front by enticing unrest in one city. Similarly you can achieve the same by cutting the enemy off luxury ressources. I really like the mechanic!

Does this put an end to the automatic upgrade speculation that has been floating around? I was really looking forward to NOT have to manually update all my units.
Pretty much, yes. The German player in the video has out a variety of units at the same time that you would expect to be upgrades to each other (archer and crossbowman, swordsman and longswordsman).

player in the video has out a variety of units at the same time that you would expect to be upgrades to each other (archer and crossbowman, swordsman and longswordsman).

So this could mean that some of the older units were automatically upgraded
(archer to crossbow, swords to longswords)?
And where can this happen? Simply within own borders?

So this could mean that some of the older units were automatically upgraded
(archer to crossbow, swords to longswords)?
And where can this happen? Simply within own borders?

No, exactly the opposite. That they're NOT automatically upgraded

So buildings require upkeep now? Hopefully that'll help some of the buildaholics around here stay focused on what really matters :ar15:

Not a big fan of empire wide happiness or the loss of the health mechanic.

It feels like Civ is getting dumbed down to an alarming degree.

Hope I'm wrong. :(

Thormodr, we yet have to see how this new game mechanic, its parts work all together.
I hope and "feel" this new mechaninc will not be "dumb".
OK, maybe one with less elements...

...but perhaps these will work together better?
Perhaps the AI will use them better?

(Perhaps we will like it all better? :))

I am full of hope at this stage of waiting for the game...

Thormodr, we yet have to see how this new game mechanic, its parts work all together.
I hope and "feel" this new mechaninc will not be "dumb".
OK, maybe one with less elements...

...but perhaps these will work together better?
Perhaps the AI will use them better?

(Perhaps we will like it all better? :))

I am full of hope at this stage of waiting for the game...

I'm certainly hoping for an awesome game too. I also agree that we don't know enough

about the mechanic yet as well.

It's just that I have an increasing feeling that the game will be very beautiful but lack

depth. It seems more and more that they are focusing more on the "bells and whistles"

instead of solid gameplay.

Having bought and played every Civ product that's ever come out that would be

extremely disappointing.

However, I'm crossing my fingers that I'm wrong. Another MOO3 would be awful.

One point we haven´t discussed yet, is that cities are no longer able to expand their culture above the range of 3 hexes. In the gamestar video one could see the results: Large wholes in the inner parts of the empire. That was one big thing that really bothered me in Civ2 (and 3?). Not having a complete state territory is not what i want. I was really glad that culture did get rid of these wholes. So now they are back. :(

Where is it stated that it is exactly so?
We know that the city radius is 3 hexes, and we know that a city can only purchase tiles out to 3 hexes (you can clearly see this in the "Purchase Tile" action in both of the most recent videos), but we don't know for certain that there is not some other way to extend empire borders beyond the city radius.

If there is some other way, however, I have not seen or heard anything about it, and it doesn't look that way. In the German video, it's 1780 (turn 266) and Germany has almost totally dominated the continent, but there are still substantial gaps in his cultural borders, even near the capitol.

I don't think we should conclude to much based on those pictures from test games. Put if it's true that the territories will not be filled up, I personally would be annoyed by it, and a fix should be included in an early patch/mod.

We know that the city radius is 3 hexes, and we know that a city can only purchase tiles out to 3 hexes (you can clearly see this in the "Purchase Tile" action in both of the most recent videos), but we don't know for certain that there is not some other way to extend empire borders beyond the city radius.

If there is some other way, however, I have not seen or heard anything about it, and it doesn't look that way. In the German video, it's 1780 (turn 266) and Germany has almost totally dominated the continent, but there are still substantial gaps in his cultural borders, even near the capitol.

Thats excatly the point. The question is: Can we at least build roads through these gaps? In Civ IV it was possible to build roads in not culturaly owned tiles. But what about ressources? Can we get access to them somehow, even they are not in our borders? And whats with AI settlers? In Civ2 it was a major problem, that the AI was settling in these gaps (ok, it was worsened by missing closed border agrements). Will we see a reappearence of these mid-nation settlements?

If cities dont expand more than 3 tiles i would really like to see the worker built outpost thingy back. (which there is reasonable promise for.)

Thanks for a new new bits of info greg, :mad: unhappiness can really make you hurt :D, no growth, no settlers building capability, negative modifier to all troops. We better watch our happiness levels :)

Do we know for sure health is gone? Perhaps they just haven't released that feature to the website yet.

As for nation wide unhappiness that seems like a good feature. I see no logical reason why it should be city based.

the fact that unhappines stops city growth would seem to suggest that health is now combined with happiness.

There’s one downside to buildings: most of them cost gold to maintain. The price depends upon the building in question, and can range from 1 to 5 per turn. The gold is deducted from your treasury each turn.
Buildings have gold maintenance costs again?

Ugh. I thought we'd fixed that?

Do not want.

Top Bottom