Wildmana 9.0 beta

In normal Civ4, the ais become very dangerous if you lag behind them in tech and their cities become impregnable.
In FFH, even if you start way behind, all you need is a hero or two and a stack of siege and you win. So games become repetitive, no?

I think that a lot of that has to do with the OPness of double strength promotions in FFH, and especially the way they get handed out so easy in WM :p

decent point, though somewhat to the side of what I'm saying, but I'll try playing without reloading,... see if it is fun

I believe that only reloading allows you to concentrate your strategy heavily around your hero.
If you play without reload, even 90% may be unacceptable risk - if you take such fights your hero will die soon. I do not attack with my heroes when choices are below 98%, if I have any choice.

On the other side of this same problem: if you build your strategy around having more decent units than a few, you will not have to reload - if one of your 10 hardest units die, then if they are comparable it is not as heavy blow as when one of your TWO good units die

And I really think that the "advanced start" option is a really bad move for the AI.

the players "knows" how to choose techs/units/buildings.
The Ai doesn't really know how to handle thoses choices :
should it goes for a widespread tech base ? or should it try to get up to tierII/tier2,5/tier III tech ?
a religion ? no religion ?

I certainly admit I reload, esp if I lose my hero or something that I have put all my focus into for hours. It just isn't much fun to get a hero to level 12 and then not get to use him/her because you lose a combat that was 88% likely to be won. I never attack with my best units when the odds are not very good. I never, for example, attack with a 30% chance, and reload until I win. I don't even play with a different randseed on reload. But still, in plain Civ4, even if you reload, that isn't enough. You have to have a serious strategy to win on Deity level. By 1500AD on plain civ4 on Deity, I am always in last place. In Wildmana, by a similar date, always first.

Everyone their own preference... but save/reload is cheating imho. Any game or mod should not be made with the idea that its players will save/reload.

And i can tell you that against some computer opponents 2 highly promoted heroes might come a long way, but i had games in which the malakim came at me with about 180 champions (str8, Com1 iirc) per stack. No single hero will live through that. Also in multiplayer games, heroes are not terrible important. They will get hunted and killed, no matter how strong. Heck i lost heroes in singleplayer on 94,5% chances... Got a nice building out of it though :)

Civ4 and thereby FFH and WM is about stacks (the main reason for 1upt in Civ5). The fact that a human player can win with some heroes and a stack of fireball mages is because the AI has trouble using mages themselves and using mage-countermeasures. It's one of the things ppl like sephi have been upgrading for a very long time.

So like i said everyone their own, but your strategy is only working cause the AI isn't perfect. In a multiplayer you would be wiped of the map.

And I really think that the "advanced start" option is a really bad move for the AI.

the players "knows" how to choose techs/units/buildings.
The Ai doesn't really know how to handle thoses choices :
should it goes for a widespread tech base ? or should it try to get up to tierII/tier2,5/tier III tech ?
a religion ? no religion ?

Good point... Does the AI get a bonus or something? Or should they?

Do you play with aggressive ai on? I have a war on three fronts right now, two were friendly before they declared and they each man with 100+ units. And a fourth ai is massing at my fourth border. This is on emperor difficulty I think. It's not overwhelming yet but it sure keeps you on your toes. Try aggressive ai?

No single hero will live through that. Also in multiplayer games, heroes are not terrible important. They will get hunted and killed, no matter how strong. Heck i lost heroes in singleplayer on 94,5% chances... Got a nice building out of it though :).

I wouldn't say that. I had Brigit with Drill 4 and Combat V Heroic Defense II and some other nasty promotions defeat 150 Pyrezombies that attacked my city.
With enough first strikes and an abyssmal strength there is a point the number of units becomes irrelevant.

Just wondering, what were the decisions on the Epic Adventures? Do we have completeing quests for different groups? I feel that would add some spice into the game.

yes, there are epic adventures as a possible victory condition. You can enable it via "custom game". It still needs to be a bit balanced (for some civs too easy, for some too hard), but it's already pretty cool. There are also different goals within the epic destiny.

Is there a list anywhere? I want to know if some of these goals conflict with other civ's goals, to me that would add alot to the game, where war's are fought for lore reasons and not just because the Elohim got Ashen Veil.

Elohim getting AV would make their epic destinies impossible, especially for the purity-counter. Another part of their quest is to spread at all good religions (Order, Empyrion, ROK) to 20 cities. And to build a lot of monks... if you succeed some steps, you get rewards - if I don't get it wrong.
When you like small maps, few enemy AI-civs and one-city-challenge, epic destiny for some civs is impossible to complete.

Is there a list anywhere? I want to know if some of these goals conflict with other civ's goals, to me that would add alot to the game, where war's are fought for lore reasons and not just because the Elohim got Ashen Veil.

well, some civs must destroy other civs in case they meet them. Or raze the holy city of AV or similar.

That sounds like it adds a whole new depth to the game! Now is there a list of these destinies anywhere, or do I need to go download the beta?

i think you need to download the beta. (you need beta 4 as the base version + beta 10 as the patch)

I can't download the beta. I get this error trying to reach the beta forum:

"General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Can't connect to MySQL server on 'mysql4.000webhost.com' (113) [2003]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists."

The other night I could reach the site, but every time I tried to register the same error would occur (including half the time spent trying to read unregistered threads).

Any tips on downloading the beta? Or is the beta almost over? I'm having fun with the latest WM version atm.

I can't download the beta. I get this error trying to reach the beta forum:

"General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Can't connect to MySQL server on 'mysql4.000webhost.com' (113) [2003]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists."

The other night I could reach the site, but every time I tried to register the same error would occur (including half the time spent trying to read unregistered threads).

Any tips on downloading the beta? Or is the beta almost over? I'm having fun with the latest WM version atm.

Freesmog,

Sorry your having trouble accessing the new forum site, but you are not alone. I have not been able to get through all day. I dont know if they are working on some maintenance or something, we have been having connection difficulties for some time now, but not as bad as today has been.

Top Bottom