AI in MoM...

admtanaka

Warlord
It's great. Seriously. The AI rushes, expands, and attacks in groups. I played all other FfH mods on Emperor or Immortal and won easily. I've struggled on Monarch in MoM. Great job.

My one issue is that the improved AI really shows how a subtle imbalance can be magnified. Pyre Zombies may need to be nerfed. The AI is simply too good with them. By turn 200 the Sheim eliminated 2 civs and were wrapping up killing a third in my last monarch game.

By turn 200 the Sheim eliminated 2 civs and were wrapping up killing a third in my last monarch game.

Before that was something a human easily could have done without pyre zombies...
But seriously I am looking forward to being able to play MoM (my DVD-drive doesn't work anymore). First I will try if my old Lucian rush strategy still works. As it sounds right now it shouldn't work. But we will see...

pyre zombies are already nerfed compared to vanilla ffh also consider that the sheaim do not get any better melee troops. i think what you are seing is the result that pyre zombies are a bit better then regular axemen so there is a window of opportunity when the sheaim are stronger then most other civilizations, but i don't think they will be that good in the mid game when there are champions around.

Pyres are still rediculessly powerfull.
Also i think the AI got dumber in its decisions as to when declare war.
And i ran in to some major Bug, where it would stack up troops two tiles away from my city and never attack, still dident get to report it properly. x.x

Pyres are still rediculessly powerfull.
Also i think the AI got dumber in its decisions as to when declare war.
And i ran in to some major Bug, where it would stack up troops two tiles away from my city and never attack, still dident get to report it properly. x.x

AI calculates if it can win or not and gathers troops till an attack has a possible chance to be succesful. And it also looks if it can taunt you outside of your city walls to attack the stack to then conquer your city.

Greez,

Tschuggi

The AI definitly is way cooler than in previous versions/other mods. One thing I find really annoying are the Elohim in my current game. Sickest warmongers I have ever seen.
They already destroyed 2 good aligned civilizations for some reason and just declared war on me (also good aligned). They should focus more on destroying Clan and Sheaim imo.

The AI definitly is way cooler than in previous versions/other mods. One thing I find really annoying are the Elohim in my current game. Sickest warmongers I have ever seen.
They already destroyed 2 good aligned civilizations for some reason and just declared war on me (also good aligned). They should focus more on destroying Clan and Sheaim imo.

I noticed this as well in a game I've been playing. (Got a couple of war declarations almost immediately from a couple of civilizations nearby.) fortunately, I'm blocked by lmountains, but it could be a pain to deal with in future games.

Well attacking future allies is dumb at least imo. If someone declares war on me who has a 'Friendly' attitude towards me then something is definitly not right.

Well attacking future allies is dumb at least imo. If someone declares war on me who has a 'Friendly' attitude towards me then something is definitly not right.

at friendly the AI should not declare war. Can you upload a savegame next time that happens? (I need a savegame from the turn before the DoW)

Civs who are friendly to me will declare war on ne in regular wildmana, but only when I play conquest only with aggressive ai. Never happens to me on other settings. Happens with pleased too. Which I can't say I mind personally, im usually annoyed or furious with everyone.

When the AI is massing a stack near your city, it should take into account whether you have a high level unit in there that could pick off units one by one. I managed to live through a backstab by the Sheaim just because they were dancing around my city dying to a very high level lizard with a fire mastery aura and Orthus's axe.

If they massed a stack outside my borders, I wouldn't be able to pick them off one by one without my lizard dying, but in the city he was safe, plus able to heal very quickly, and kill a zombie almost every turn.

Also gorillas are very useful for the same reason. You can taunt a half-assembled stack near your city into suiciding, and the AI will just keep reinforcing it and suiciding some more.

The AI might not be perfect but it's definitely way better than before.
So far I like the AI changes most from the new features in MoM.

Absolutely.

I was helping the Sheaim take care of the Hippus, and we both had units around his capital.
On the turn that I take it, Sheaim backstab me. The Hippus had other cities left that were far away, and the old AI wouldn't start another war until the first is over, but I guess this is the new AI kicking in. They wanted that city no matter who controlled it.

Too bad for the AI though, I managed to keep it due to the Sheaim taking their sweet time to dance around the city while I sniped zombie after zombie.

pyre zombies are already nerfed compared to vanilla ffh also consider that the sheaim do not get any better melee troops. i think what you are seing is the result that pyre zombies are a bit better then regular axemen so there is a window of opportunity when the sheaim are stronger then most other civilizations, but i don't think they will be that good in the mid game when there are champions around.

I suppose the issue may be lessened by the time champions are around, but in my last game two (really 3) civs didn't/wouldn't survive to see them. It's hardly a scientific study (in fact, it's just one game I played - and the only one so far with the Sheim), but I was so amazed I wanted to note it.

at friendly the AI should not declare war. Can you upload a savegame next time that happens? (I need a savegame from the turn before the DoW)

In the attached save I am playing Luchuirp and have a border with the Malakim which are 'Friendly' towards me. On the next turn they declare war on me (still 'Pleased'). Also the entry 'You cancelled our open border agreement!' is added to our relation factors (or however they are called), which is kinda unfitting as it was canceled cause of the DoW.

Attachments

• friendlywar.CivBeyondSwordSave
    402.5 KB · Views: 66
thanks for uploading the save game. It is working fine now and Malakim do not declare war next turn.

I just remember another odd thing I noticed in the same game: when I finished researching some tech (not sure which anymore) I got Ind and Exp trait for the emergent trait. At least in other modmods it is not possible to get both imo.

One thing I've noticed is that the AI civs seem to focus on one or two lines of research and ignore several early-game techs that would boost their infrastructure. Well into the mid to late game when I've gone into the tech trading screen in the Foreign Advisor screen I've seen that an AI civ will want such early-game techs as Fishing, Masonry, Calendar, etc.

That may be intended, but just thought I'd mention it in case it's not.

They also seem to be very fond of Mathematics, even when they could really use hunting or bronze working instead due to getting beat in a war.

Top Bottom